Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Like Tree798Likes

Thread: Michelle McNamara, writer and wife of Patton Oswalt, dies suddenly at 46

I have been going through the process of trying to remove my info from the internet. I started in December. My address and phone number was everywhere. And anyone with $20 bucks could find me in minutes. It's disgusting. I hope you find a stop to this.
    Nevan, fgg and redcat like this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Gold Member

Casefile has a five-episode podcast on the EAR that was a lot creepier than the book. I think the podcast is also more in-depth with regards to the suspect and the victims. The book seems to be more about the investigation (I'm only almost halfway through though so who knows?). It's a good read though. There were many opportunities to catch this guy and yet he always managed to elude them. It's crazy. I wonder if he's still alive and what made him stop his murder spree.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone else. This guy has many complaints about him (I didn't know this until recently) and the most he's gotten was an unpaid suspension. I think my post office (very tiny) is just trying to wait it out until his retirement instead of going through the process of terminating him. I've been told the post master is scared of him because he's very erratic. I remember the three days that we were texting in the very beginning, he was complaining that his bosses didn't appreciate all he does, blah, blah, blah. I just want him to go away.

But it doesn't look like he's going to so perhaps its time to make him. I would seriously consider making this matter official and getting a restraining order. Or perhaps even going so far as to set up a PO box for a while, because the amount of information he can gather about you (or anyone else he's doing this to) through your mail is worrying.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by deenz View Post
    Casefile has a five-episode podcast on the EAR that was a lot creepier than the book. I think the podcast is also more in-depth with regards to the suspect and the victims. The book seems to be more about the investigation (I'm only almost halfway through though so who knows?). It's a good read though. There were many opportunities to catch this guy and yet he always managed to elude them. It's crazy. I wonder if he's still alive and what made him stop his murder spree.
    Thanks for the reminder about this! I'm going to listen to it now.

Another good book if anyone is interested is Brad Meltzer's, "The Escape Artist". I hadn't read him in years before I heard him on the radio the other day talking about the book. I bought it and immediately started reading it. I avoided skipping to the end for as long as possible, but I had to know how it was going to end.

The Escape Artist

by Brad Meltzer (Goodreads Author)
    3.99 Rating details 156 Ratings 75 Reviews
    In #1 bestselling author Brad Meltzer's new thriller, death is just another way to disappear.

Two hours outside of Washington, DC is the mortuary for the U.S. government's most top-secret and high profile cases. America's most important funeral home. To work there, mortician Jim "Zig" Zwicharowski has one rule: never let a case get personal. But when a new body arrives--of young female sergeant Nola Brown, who was a childhood friend of Zig's daughter--Zig can't help himself. Looking closely at Nola's body, he realizes immediately: this isn't Nola. Indeed, his daughter's friend is still alive. And on the run. Zig's discovery reveals a sleight of hand being played at the highest levels of power--and traces back through history to a man named Harry Houdini. "Nola, you were right. Keep running."

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    Amazon Prime has a free audible version of the book. I'm listening now.
    holy crap thanks for that i'm on a free trial with amazon prime right now and i now have 3 mos free of audible ... again, thank you!

A friend's husband is listening to the audio book now and she says that he is completely freaked out by it. He's checking doors and windows several times before going to bed. They live in a ground floor apartment in Arlington and he thinks that they may need to move because he's worried about their safety. I'm listening to the Case podcast right now. The audio of the rapist's voicemail to one of the victims is chilling.

I finished it Tuesday. I'm pretty obsessed with it atm. The doing a special on HLN about it. I really hope they find him with this renewed interest in the case. It is hard to believe that his cases weren't more widely known especially with his numbers.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

The HLN special was good. I find it interesting that he started taking his "tools" with him before DNA became prominent. Him taking the bindings off of the victims and taking it with him was telling.

It's crazy that he wasn't really that well known until recently. Living in a town where he raped and murdered people sort of put this guy on my radar. Reading this book has terrified me. I don't live that far from three of his murders and it was spooky and pretty nerve-wracking at night. With this guy, it doesn't matter that my big, strong SO is sleeping next to me, because this guy liked to attack couples.
    gas_chick likes this.

Don't know if you guys are interested, but Patton and two authors that helped finish the book did an AMA on one of the subreddit's I belong to. I think they would have gotten more interest if they had done it on one of the main subs, but it is what it is. Kind of interesting. It's all about the book and the case in general.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedM...nes_and_billy/
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    It's crazy that he wasn't really that well known until recently. Living in a town where he raped and murdered people sort of put this guy on my radar. Reading this book has terrified me. I don't live that far from three of his murders and it was spooky and pretty nerve-wracking at night. With this guy, it doesn't matter that my big, strong SO is sleeping next to me, because this guy liked to attack couples.
    Sorry for the double post, it won't let me edit ....

For me, just the rapes alone freak me out. WHY didn't the police make it a big deal and put out warnings? He clearly had favored hunting grounds, and he liked coming through windows and he liked single story houses. He stalked the people he raped and murdered for quite some time before he actually attacked. I can say with certainty if this happened today in the world of social media, this guy would have been caught pretty quickly in my town and the towns directly surrounding us. FFS, our FB group (we have THREE and my town is tiny) posts about hearing gun shots (our PD has an outdoor gun range that they use pretty frequently ... sometimes the weather makes it louder than usual), pics of loose or missing dogs, what's that booming sound (we have several bases around here and a few weapons stations, sometimes they bomb from 7am to 11pm, but they're doing training and that's the price of freedom), why are there cops at XYZ street, hey do you know a good plumber. Hell, we even get alerts when there are Jehovah Witness people or salesmen walking around bothering people. We have a neighborhood watch and they actually patrol the area. And that's just social media. I get official alerts on my phone from any PD or Sheriff's office in my county if there is an MVA they want you to stay away from, missing or wanted people, even water main breaks and stuff like that (we've had a lot of suspicious packages lately for some reason). I get that we have it better than that California area in the late 70s/early 80s. But it seems like the PD was trying to keep a lid on it instead of informing the public about what to watch out for. And that's how EAR/ONS was able to flourish.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Did anybody else besides me notice that HLN had a whole hour on this case last night? I didn't connect it with this book at all though until I came back into this thread.

The podcast has creeped me out more than the book did. Him spying on people and going in and out of houses without detection is so scary to me because he knew everything about his victims. He broke knives and put them back in the drawer in one house. He crawled into the bedroom of the little boy of one of his victims days before he came back to rape her. The thought of him in their houses for hours and eating their food while going through their possessions while they're tied up waiting to die is horrifying.
    Nevan likes this.

I'm listening to the podcast now. The thing that's freaking me out the most (so far) is when the survivors or their kids think they've scared him off but he really went to get a chair or he just keeps coming into the house.

I probably shouldn't be listening to the podcast or reading the book, but I definitely want to find out more. With all the added attention to this case, I hope they can find him now!

No spoilers, but the little boy, the roof and things that go bump in the night was it for me. I've had enough creepy stuff today.

Thread Information