Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Michael Schumacher is 'fighting for his life' in skiing accident

Elite Member

F1 great Michael Schumacher is 'still fighting' as he recovers at home, reveals FIA president Jean Todt

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/f1-great-michael-schumacher-is-still-fighting-as-he-recovers-at-home-reveals-fia-president-jean-todt/ar-BBmHTD7?li=AAavLaF&ocid=

Mirror
    Aaron Flanagan 1 hour ago

(© Vladimir Rys/Getty Images) Michael Schumacher is stilling fighting after his ski accident.

F1 legend Michael Schumacher is "still fighting", according to FIA president Jean Todt.

It has now been 22 months since Schumacher's life-changing ski accident in the French Alps, which left him with severe brain damage.

Todt was Schumacher's team boss at Ferrari and became friends with the seven-time world champion. He has remained close to his family and says that he visits the German on a regular basis.

Schumacher finally returned to his home in Lausanne in September 2014, but little information has been released on his condition since then.

Speaking at a media briefing before this weekend's Mexican Grand Prix, Todt revealed the latest on his condition.

"I see Michael very often and Michael is still fighting," said Todt, who was the team principal at Maranello where Schumacher won five straight championships between 2000 and 2005.

"Michael is a close friend, his family is very close to me and I am very close to them as well. We must keep him fighting with the family."

Todt also insisted that it was important not to forget Schumacher's remarkable achievements, including winning a record 91 grand prix.

"It was interesting last week after Lewis [Hamilton] won the title for third time.

"You saw the figures [referring to Schumacher's seven championships]. I was very proud of what Michael achieved. Sometimes you tend to forget what he did."

Former Ferrari technical chief Ross Brawn said last week there was "still hope" for Schumacher.

Brawn, who famously ran the engineering side of the Ferrari F1 team during German's period of dominance in the sport, told how he still visits his pal to see how he is doing.

He said: "I do keep in touch [with Schumacher’s family], but we try and keep a balance of going to see him against calling, and not being a pain.

"I’ve been to see him a few times; Corinna, his wife, calls me occasionally and keeps me updated.

"We just keep praying every day that he’ll recover to a stage where…it's slow, but there's always hope."

World champion Lewis Hamilton will start the Mexican Grand Prix behind Nico Rosberg, who was fastest in qualifying.

A*O

"Still fighting" = "still effectively dead". Sorry, but that's the truth here.
    palta, scarlett, effie2 and 3 others like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    "Still fighting" = "still effectively dead". Sorry, but that's the truth here.
    yup no one exactly know what state hes in, except family and close friends, and they arent going to come out and say the truth

His brain is probably soup. Sad, but most likely.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

A*O

Just because a person can be kept alive with machines and round the clock care doesn't mean they should be. God forbid I ever find myself or a loved one in this predicament, but to me it's pretty clear that when there's obviously no realistic hope of recovery or even an acceptable quality of life I'd accept the inevitable and say Goodbye.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

My parents made sure this won't happen to them and they both made a living will in case they're ever in a tragic car accident or something like that. They don't wanna be kept alive by machines.
    Brookie and Stereo Inferno like this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

German media paint the picture of Michael being paralysed, unable to speak, with memory loss. Some people who visited him only said so much.

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    My parents made sure this won't happen to them and they both made a living will in case they're ever in a tragic car accident or something like that. They don't wanna be kept alive by machines.
    Both of my parents did this, and I've done it as well.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Just because a person can be kept alive with machines and round the clock care doesn't mean they should be. God forbid I ever find myself or a loved one in this predicament, but to me it's pretty clear that when there's obviously no realistic hope of recovery or even an acceptable quality of life I'd accept the inevitable and say Goodbye.
    ITA the story of Jahi Mcmath is heartbreaking, her parents need to let her rest.

I sound insensitive but I'm wondering why Michael's wife is keeping him alive.
    Janus likes this.

I think it had to do with the fact that Michael was able to talk and move after the accident and it only got worse after some hours, when he got massive bleeding into the brain. His health declined from there due to complications. the doctors frantically tried to keep him alive, noone wanted to give up on such a famous person, that's bad publicity for the hospital. At that point, the public would have crucified Corinna had she given up on him and made the decidion to end life support. And when he needed months to get out of th medical induced coma, he just wouldn't die. People say that he reacts to his wifes voice and is still a fighter. I think he is more or less a vegetable with a well trained fit body that can take alot. I'm sure he has the absolute best medical care and that Corinna does what is best for him under the circumstances, but he would be better off dead jimho.
    Last edited by Lofty Bike; November 3rd, 2015 at 12:46 AM.
    Stereo Inferno likes this.

The way those quotes from F1 figures make it sound, he's most likely a vegetable with major brain damage. Although it sounds like he's sporadically awake, and not necessarily just existing because of life support machines, which is positive.

Some families just can't accept when a loved one has gone beyond the point of saving.

As for "living wills" - I presume you guys mean a power of attorney? It's a legal document where you give decision making power to a trusted friend or familiy member in the event of you losing the capacity to make decisions (or capacity to exercise those decisions - like, a person who is imprisoned might give a financial POA to a family member to sell property for them, although this almost always backfires in my client's experiences!). Common uses of a POA are medical, financial or legal - having a POA for medical stuff is up there with having a will as something I would advise anyone to have.

You have to nominate someone to make decisions for you in the event that you can't before you are in the position where you can't make decisions. Youth is no guarantee that you won't have an injury which means you can't make decisions. You just need to clearly word the terms, and ensure that your attorney is trusted enough that they will adhere to your wishes.

A*O

A living will is somewhat similar to a POA but it usually involves a person giving clear written instructions on how they wish to be treated (or not) in the case of illness or accident where they are unable to give their consent, eg, Do Not Resuscitate. It's not a legally binding document (in Oz at least) but it does give next of kin and doctors an idea of the patient's wishes. My mother has one which she wrote in collaboration with her doctor and I've read it so I understand - and will absolutely respect - her wishes should the need arise.

A living will is somewhat similar to a POA but it usually involves a person giving clear written instructions on how they wish to be treated (or not) in the case of illness or accident where they are unable to give their consent, eg, Do Not Resuscitate. It's not a legally binding document (in Oz at least) but it does give next of kin and doctors an idea of the patient's wishes. My mother has one which she wrote in collaboration with her doctor and I've read it so I understand - and will absolutely respect - her wishes should the need arise.
    Yeah. that's a medical power of attorney. Whatever terminology being used by the drafter I'm ignoring - that is a medical power of attorney by my legal training and experience!

Different states in Oz use different terminology and have different standards, which is frustrating. Like, in Victoria you can split up your powers of attorney - legal, financial and medical; whereas in Tasmania there's just one POA for everything.

Mum and I have also had all of those conversations and document drafting. She does not want to be resuscitated (or in Nanny's words, "no heroics - if it's my time, it's my time) and has already done the legal documents to donate her body as a cadaver to the medical school. I know exactly what she wants and have ensured that we have those wishes reflected in her POA so that if some cousin gets cunty (as my cousins have a tendency to do!) then I am legally covered for the decisions I make in accordance with Mum's explicitly communicated wishes.
    A*O likes this.

Most of his contracts are still effective because officially he is *recovering*.His wife cannot let him go,he is not on life support,no machines..he is just existing..Of course he is having the best of care,but this is money HE made and still does.I think he ll go only if complications of his being laid down will. hit..sad.

Gold Member

A living will is not the same as power of attorney for personal care, at least not in Canada. The LW gives precise end of life instructions. POW is effective at the moment of signature and gives the holder total control over all medical decisions. Ideally, you would want to have both documents in the event of a catastrophic injury. But someone can be ill enough to have to decide whether they want extreme measures and still be capable of expressing them, this not needing POA but where a LW would be definitive in terms of their end of life decisions. Having gone through this with my mother and father in law I'm unfortunately well versed in it.
    Sassiness likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information