Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Michael Hutchence's 'desperate' last hours

JWL

After seeing the above I was curious to see it - wow, she was in for the kill...

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    We need a new thread category here - "Dead Horses That We'll Be Beating for Years to Come".
    That's a thought!
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

His hotness was wasted on her, drugs and death. Damn.

I am fucking sick to death of hearing fucking Geldof coming off as the hero in this cluster fuck. He had his legal sharks win full custody of Tiger Lily for political reasons; he's against mothers having custody of children, full fucking stop. He's the champion of the mens' rights groups; from 1999 to when I stopped reading the papers in 2007, the mens' confraternity who worshipped Geldof's every shit wrote endless letters (that were almost daily published in the 'West Australian' and 'Sunday Times' Letters to the Editor) claiming children raised by single fathers NEVER do drugs, get pregnant as teens, or become delinquent: i.e. all social problems are the result of mothers with custody.

MH's bio-parents spoke to 'Women's Weekly' around 2000 or 2002 about their struggles to see their grand daughter. It was more complicated than "they should have gone to Europe". The grandfather wasn't in good health. Geldof refused to help them pay for the ticket, and refused to let them stay at one of his damn houses while there. They couldn't even book a plane ticket, because they didn't know where TL was or where she would be at any given time.

The one time Geldof deigned to allow TL and her grandparents to meet, her nanny had to be there too.

And yeah, I know there is always some semantics wanker who will try to twist what I just said, so to be clear: I'm not saying custody shouldn't be shared, or go to the dad's when the mother is useless (I love my dad, and havent spoken to my mother in six years). What I'm saying is, Geldof used TL for his political purposes; he wasn't being "generous". And he deliberately prevented TL forming a relationship with her grandparents.
    Mel1973, nana51 and Sassiness like this.

When MH died, Paula immediately took TL to Australia and saw the grandparents so they did see her more than once. Also the grandparents wanted a custody battle for the baby when they were not in good shape. So don't you think it was better that Tiger Lily was raised with her sisters? I also don't think Bob Geldof would make a 'political statement' for the duration of a child's life and a long investment in her well-being. Bob Geldof was and still is with Jeanne Marine so there was a family unit of appropriate ages to raise her.

He may have made all kinds of statements but that doesn't negate the good that he has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    I am fucking sick to death of hearing fucking Geldof coming off as the hero in this cluster fuck. He had his legal sharks win full custody of Tiger Lily for political reasons; he's against mothers having custody of children, full fucking stop. He's the champion of the mens' rights groups; from 1999 to when I stopped reading the papers in 2007, the mens' confraternity who worshipped Geldof's every shit wrote endless letters (that were almost daily published in the 'West Australian' and 'Sunday Times' Letters to the Editor) claiming children raised by single fathers NEVER do drugs, get pregnant as teens, or become delinquent: i.e. all social problems are the result of mothers with custody.

MH's bio-parents spoke to 'Women's Weekly' around 2000 or 2002 about their struggles to see their grand daughter. It was more complicated than "they should have gone to Europe". The grandfather wasn't in good health. Geldof refused to help them pay for the ticket, and refused to let them stay at one of his damn houses while there. They couldn't even book a plane ticket, because they didn't know where TL was or where she would be at any given time.

The one time Geldof deigned to allow TL and her grandparents to meet, her nanny had to be there too.

And yeah, I know there is always some semantics wanker who will try to twist what I just said, so to be clear: I'm not saying custody shouldn't be shared, or go to the dad's when the mother is useless (I love my dad, and havent spoken to my mother in six years). What I'm saying is, Geldof used TL for his political purposes; he wasn't being "generous". And he deliberately prevented TL forming a relationship with her grandparents.
    The Wiki entry on this issue doesn't seem to indicate that these groups are arguing for only rights for fathers, but rather for equal rights for both parents as well as for proper enforcement of Contact Orders. Fathers' rights movement in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A*O

"Saint" Bob certainly enjoys basking in his carefully cultivated image as the fearless human rights campaigner, charity fund raiser and all round hero so taking in Tiger Lily certainly suited that agenda. But who else could have done it? None of her grandparents were either alive or physically capable of raising a very young child and there were no other suitable Yates or Hutchence rellies willing or able to do it. Placing TL with her 3 half sisters and two adult "parents" was the obvious choice but Geldof had no legal obligation to step up and take her in. The alternative was placing her in foster care which is a pretty sad indictment on her parents' utterly selfish choices and behaviour and its consequences.
    gas_chick, Kittylady and Sunrider like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

The forgotten girlfriend Michael Hutchence left behind: Moving story of the woman who was INXS star's first love... and who he called just before he died

• Michele Bennett was tragic Michael Hutchence's first love
    • She was the last friend the tragic star called before his death
    • Hutchence and Bennett still close as he dated Kylie, Paula
    • After he pleaded for help Bennett rushed to his hotel room
    • She couldn't open the door, Hutchence already dead behind it
    • Bennett is now successful film and music video producer

By CANDACE SUTTON

PUBLISHED: 07:32, 19 February 2014 | UPDATED: 12:35, 19 February 2014

She was rock star Michael Hutchence's first love, and in some ways his last.
    For seven years, they made a striking pair with their good looks, enigmatic brown eyes and flowing dark hair, and even after their split Hutchence and Michele Bennett remained his closest confidante as he went on to date some of the world's most beautiful and successful women.
    It was Bennett who the tragic INXS frontman called in a final, desperate plea for help from his best friend before his tragic demise in a Sydney hotel room.

+7

First love: Michael Hutchence and Michele Bennett (pictured on Valentine's Day 1985), who was his first serious girlfriend, became his closest confidante and the one he called with a final plea for help on the morning of his tragic death in a Sydney hotel room

+7

+7

Friends to the end: Michele Bennett (left) went on to become a successfuil film producer, but was always there for Michael Hutchence until his untimely death. She was played by Jane Harber (right) in the Australian telemovie INXS: Never Tear Us Apart which aired earlier this month

She rushed to her old boyfriend's aid after his last dark hours in which he struggled with his 'demons' and the fact he would not be seeing his only child, daughter Tiger Lily, for Christmas.

But she was too late. She could not get inside the hotel room door, from which Hutchence was hanging from the door handle on the other side by a belt, already dead.
    The dramatic circumstances of the morning of November 22, 1997, when Bennett frantically knocked on the singer's door at the Ritx Carlton Hotel and called out repeatedly, but in vain, were later tendered in evidence to the coroner's inquest into his death.
    Now an internationally renowned feature film and music video producer, Michele Bennett is beautiful, successful and has children of her own.

But it is her life with Hutchence which has come under the spotlight, following her portrayal by actress Jane Harber in the two-part telemovie, INXS: Never Tear Us Apart.
    Harber described Bennett as 'a bit of a touchstone' in Michael Hutchence's life.
    'Michele was Michael’s first love and somebody who played in his life for the next 20 years and was the last person he called before he passed away.
    'They met at a gig . . . kind of before he found his groove.

'He was just starting out and she obviously loved his music having been to a couple of his gigs.
    They fell in love quickly, as you do when you’re a teenager.'

+7

+7

Michael's women: Hutchence had a series of high-profile girlfriends including pop idol Kylie Minogue (left) and the model Helena Christenson (right), whose exotic looks mirrored those of Ms Bennett

The relationship began around the time INXS had released its self-titled debut album.
    Bennett had embarked on a career as a producer, first of music videos. She produced the documentary Lovetown for the Irish band, U2, and in 1991 formed her own production company, Cherub Pictures.

After meeting Hutchence, she made the INXS television documentary, Welcome to Wherever you Are, and went on to produce for Prince, Silverchair, Foofighters and other Australian and overseas artists.

Bennett and Hutchence lasted as a couple until the late 1980s, by which time Hutchence had starred in the film, Dogs in Space, and the band had launched Kick, which won them international fame and success.

Yates gave birth to Huthence's only child, Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily in July 1996. The rock star was biding his time between the UK, Hong Kong and Australia.

The following January, Bennett arranged a birthday party for Hutchence in Sydney.

+7

Torn apart: a custody battle over the three older daughters she had with Irish rock legend Bob Geldof prevented Paula Yates (pictured above holding youngest daughter, Tiger Lily, with Michael Hutchence) from copming to Austrlia for Christmas 1997, and may have triggered the suicide of Michael Hutchence in a Sydney hotel room

On the night of his death, Hutchence was in Sydney preparing for a concert tour to mark INXS's 20th anniversary, and was hoping for Yates and Tiger Lily to join him for Christmas. The agreement was contingent on whether Yates could bring to Australia her three daughters with Geldof.
    He was exhausted by press coverage of his and Yates' relationship and the custody battle ensuing between her and Geldof over their daughters and the proposed Australian trip.
    Following concert rehearsals with INXS band members on Friday, November, 21, he dined with his father, Kell, and then returned to the Ritz Carlton and continued drinking.
    Australian actress, Kym Wilson, with whom he had once enjoyed a brief fling and her boyfriend paid him a visit, then he was on his own. Hutchence apparently engaged in a bitter conversation with Geldof on the phone, after he had spoken with Yates who informed him told him the custody case had been adjourned, so she would not be coming to Australia with the children.
    At around 9.35 on the Saturday morning, he left a phone message for Michele Bennett, in which she would later say he sounded 'drunk'.
    At 9.54 he rang Bennett again. This time she answered. He cried down the phone, and she told him she would come straight away.

+7

The moment they met: Georgina Haig plays Paula Yates and Luke Arnold is Hutchence, pictured recreating the moment the pair met on British TV personality Yates' show, The Big Breakfast

But when Bennett finally knocked on the door, there was no answer. She tried ringing him, to no avail.
    Asssuming he was alright, and may simply have gone to sleep, she letf a note with reception and returned home.
    On November 27, 1997, Michael Hutchence's coffin was carried out of St Andrew's Cathedral by his band members and his younger brother Rhett,, as Never Tear Us Apart played in the background.
    Bennett told the MailOnline she never spoke about Hutchence.
    'I don't like to talk about my relationship with Michael,' she said.
    Cherub Films, which produced the 2000 box office success, Chopper, a feature film about Melbourne criminal Chopper Read, last year made the surfing feature, Drift. The company's latest film is Mule, about a first time drug importer.
    Bennett also made the 2004 music documentary, Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man.

Read more: Michael Hutchence's forgotten girlfriend: Moving story of INXS star's 1st love | Mail Online

A*O

I wondered at the time if MH killed himself to escape crazy Paula who had her claws into him and wasn't going to let go and the whole Geldof/custody drahmah. He struck me as more of a lover than a fighter, a sensitive petal in many ways, and he just couldn't handle the pressure any more. He was also flat, stony broke and had the prospect of a very high maintenance wife, a child, parasite family and clingons, 3 step daughters, a vengeful Geldof, a fading career, drugs, booze...
    gas_chick and arie_skop like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

^ I know what you mean and also the pressure of being the singer in the band and the main 'face' was very stressful.

Also I can't understand why he got so involved in ALL the girls coming to Australia. Wasn't it enough to see Paula and Tiger Lily? Trying to move 4 young kids across the world for Christmas, 3 of whom don't belong to you, with an angry father who won't budge, in a druggy environment and with a girlfriend who constantly gives interviews to Hello magazine - he was dealing with two forceful personalities, lawyers, the media and all the children. Perhaps it was all too much.

I think you're right, A*O. I think it all became too much for him and he let go. I always thought it was strange that Paula was so adamant that it wasn't suicide.

A*O

Lots of people left behind after suicide go into deep denial. I think it's often linked to guilt.

Yep she felt guilty so she didn't want to accept it was suicide. She felt so guilty she basically committed suicide too.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Yep she felt guilty so she didn't want to accept it was suicide. She felt so guilty she basically committed suicide too.
    Paula Yates had been committing suicide for years. That's what taking heroin is.
    Belt Up likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I just looked up pics of all the Geldof girls. I don't know how to post a pic here, but does anyone else think that Pixie looks like she could be Michael Hutchence's child? I see no resemblance to Bob Geldof, like the other two.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information