Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Michael Douglas' son Cameron pens drug policy critique from jail

There are alternatives to the incarceration for addiction model:

S.F. looks at Seattle's alcoholic program - SFGate

They are more successful from both a financial and a human point of view. I agree that Cameron isn't the best spokesperson for this issue, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.
    We all like to think we're so special. But in the end, we all do the same stupid shit. - Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by coolade View Post
    He is writing his open letter as if he was put in jail simply for doing drugs. Umm no. Even if his sentence was extended for using while in jail, he would have never been there if he wasn't distributing.
    I'm sorry. I think this family is full of half truths. Well, Hollywood in general of course. They'd all like you to have very short memories and a firm belief in their latest PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorahacky View Post
    There are alternatives to the incarceration for addiction model:

S.F. looks at Seattle's alcoholic program - SFGate

They are more successful from both a financial and a human point of view. I agree that Cameron isn't the best spokesperson for this issue, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.
    That is unbelievable and as someone who works with addicts on a daily basis I think that idea is frankly horrifying. I don't care how much money it saves. JMO.
    sluce likes this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

While I agree the US drug laws and policies are fucked up--especially when drug offenders can do more time than rapists and murderers--I still think this guy's an entitled spoiled rich punk with daddy issues who looked for an easy way to make big bucks and got his ass handed to him.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    While I agree the US drug laws and policies are fucked up--especially when drug offenders can do more time than rapists and murderers--I still think this guy's an entitled spoiled rich punk with daddy issues who looked for an easy way to make big bucks and got his ass handed to him.
    It's the third generation of Douglas male entitlement syndrome. I'm waiting to see if Cameron keeps up his crusade post prison...or if he takes up where he left off with his drug business.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Gold Member

Do you know any addicts? Most of them relapse and have to struggle with this their entire lives, most have multiple stays in rehab. I don't have a problem with him criticising drug policy from prison, he's been through the system, he knows it and it's not like it doesn't blow (no pun intended) and need reforming EDIT- Actually I have known and worked with quite a few addicts, both post re-hab and post-incarceration. I think his commentary about finding better options is valid and clearly highlights why throwing users and addicts in jail doesn't work. I have big issues with someone who has repeated violated laws about selling drugs and even tried to have a girl friend smuggle in personal stash.
    sluce and Bellatheball like this.

The current system addresses only the crime but not the cause. In reality though, functioning addicts/drunks are no better at recovery. They just somehow manage to keep all the balls in the air a little better - for now.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information