Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Meryl Streep On Diversity: We're All Africans Really

  1. #16
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Apocalyptic
    Posts
    26,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    ....as Bitter said, her limo liberal showed).
    And she can't cover that shit up with some lame schmatta by Lanvin.
    panic likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

  2. #17
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,144

    Default

    But I love Meryl.
    Lalasnake likes this.

  3. #18
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,140

    Default

    While it's true that we all originate from Africa, black skinned "Africans" get discriminated against more than white skinned "Africans". And it wouldn't kill Meryl Streep, the lily white "African" to acknowledge that.
    Siged A former Meryl Streep fan.
    ana-mish-ana, HWBL, BITTER and 1 others like this.

  4. #19
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    47,105

    Default

    Whoa! I thought we were descended from aliens?


  5. #20
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,383

    Default

    Maybe the aliens first landed in Africa?
    BITTER and Novice like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  6. #21
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Apocalyptic
    Posts
    26,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    But I love Meryl.
    I like her, but I'm sick of her.
    But I'm sick of everyone because I can't eat anything solid like a cheeseburger...
    sluce, Novice, czb and 3 others like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

  7. #22
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    47,105

    Default

    Its for the best reason, Bitter, its for YOU!
    C_is_for_Cookie and BITTER like this.

  8. #23
    Elite Member Sarzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    17,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Meryl Streep is one of our most accomplished African-American actors.
    This made me LOL.
    Oh Meryl. I kind of get what she meant but really she shouldn't have said it.
    panic likes this.

  9. #24
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    58,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Nice, nebulous limo liberal comment from Meryl.
    Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Not the most elegant answer obviously but what was the point of asking her that question? to try and shame her? Hey white lady, how come there's no black people up there with you? Isn't that a question for the organizers?

    I think it made her uncomfortable being on the spot like that so she let some nonsense dribble out of her mouth (as Bitter said, her limo liberal showed).
    this. why not ask the organisers of the festival who chose the panel of judges, why there are no people of colour?
    yeah, she's a 'limo liberal' and made a dumb nebulous comment after she was asked a question she obviously didn't want to get into but she's a rich older actress, who cares what she thinks or where she stands on the issue? also, the diversity debate is devolving into a shitshow with the media asking white actors what they think to try to trap them into saying something stupid or inarticulate because that's what gets people's attention. meanwhile, the producers, executives and studio owners - the people who actually wield power and decide who gets hired - are getting off easy because the media keeps insisting on putting the wrong people on the spot.
    BITTER, sluce, lindsaywhit and 3 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  10. #25
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    31,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I like her, but I'm sick of her.
    But I'm sick of everyone because I can't eat anything solid like a cheeseburger...
    You need some of my cheeseburger soup.
    BITTER and panic like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  11. #26
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Apocalyptic
    Posts
    26,484

    Default

    ^^^Send me some, MrsDark!!

    but she's a rich older actress, who cares what she thinks or where she stands on the issue?
    Which is why they did ask her - she is America's premier actress. She has taken a stand on how women are portrayed in film, of course they are going to ask her about this issue. But you are right - the power behind the camera - producers and directors - are not being called out on this matter.
    panic likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Meryl Streep
    By Honey in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: January 8th, 2015, 11:54 AM
  2. Meryl Streep's red dress
    By Honey in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: August 10th, 2012, 03:59 PM
  3. Meryl Streep
    By Honey in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 17th, 2012, 02:33 AM
  4. Meryl Streep in Cacharel
    By Honey in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 31st, 2012, 10:48 AM
  5. Meryl Streep in red
    By mrs.v in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 1st, 2008, 08:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •