Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Melissa George has meltdown on The Morning Show after hosts mentioned Home and Away

^ Yeah the older Hemsworth was in H&A and the younger one was in Neighbours. I remember her as Angel and I liked her in Triangle and a few other things. She needs to get off her high horse though.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Stupid bitch! I'd be grateful for any recognition if I was as mediocre as Melissa George. I don't hear Isla Fisher, the Hemsworths or what his face from House complaining about their pasts.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

she's a piece of shit who was on Greys Anatomy and sucked the life out of the episodes she was in
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

She was great in The Slap, but the whole cast were amazing.
    Callalily likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    I think Hemsworth starred in Home and Away too lol - and what everyone has said. She's doing tv movies now and was recently in a BBC series so its not like she's starring in any big hollywood movie at the moment.
    I think even Heath Ledger started in Home and Away - and Isla Fisher.

I've heard another side to this (I don't watch those insipid morning shows). Melissa was invited on the program to discuss the McDonalds charity project, but Channel 7 were instead using her to promote their Home and Away programme. Someone on facebook says the reporting removed a part of Melissa's quote to make it sound worse.

She said the presenters only mentioned her more recent international acting accolades when she ''threatened to walk off the set''.
    ''Right behind my head was pictures of Angel and on the montage they called me 'Home and Away actress Melissa George','' she said. ''Now, it's because it's Channel Seven, so my next call will be to Home and Away to ask them to pay me because nobody does more promotion for that f---ing show than me.''
    A spokeswoman for Seven said the station had ''no comment'' about George's displeasure.
    Christine Sams
    source: Just don't call me Angel

Plus Melissa's tweet about it:

source: Melissa George Is Fed Up With You, Your Home and Your Ways, Australia - Entertainment News - Pedestrian TV
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Back when she was on Home & Away (approximatey 17 years ago) my hubby was in the navy. It was at the time that the TV show Jag was just coming on TV in Australia and Channel 7 had the rights to it (the same station that Home & Away is on). Channel 7 held a release party for Jag on the navy ship hubby was deployed to. Melissa George was in attendance, along with other Home & Away actors and Australian "celebrities". I remember hubby saying back then that she was a bit snotty nosed.

Elite Member

Silly bint. I only know her as Angel from H&A. If she hadn't have kicked off, maybe the interview would have progressed to talk about her current work.

Sorry Kat, that sounds like nothing but spin to me.
    Lenny and arie_skop like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Sorry Kat, that sounds like nothing but spin to me.
    Sounds like Melissa G is backtracking after her outburst, she didn't need to behave that way. She could've been professional and moved on from the conversation.

I'm not even familiar with the show Home and Away, but I guess she would rather be acknolwedged for such powerful, Oscar-worthy roles as "Cleo" in Sugar and Spice:

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    Stupid bitch! I'd be grateful for any recognition if I was as mediocre as Melissa George. I don't hear Isla Fisher, the Hemsworths or what his face from House complaining about their pasts.
    Yep. Plenty of people got to work on Home & Away and happily speak about it. It's a good training ground & stepping stone. Simon Baker, Julian McMahon, Ryan Kwanten, Guy Pearce & Naomi Watts all worked there.

I think she knows she's in serious trouble about New York, Paris quote. Trust me, nothing will get an Aussie fired up more than another Aussie slagging off their country.

Board ate my post! Anyway, this probably won't mean a whole lot to the non-Aussies/Brits but I thought it was hilarious:

Dear Melissa: How not to get lost in the soap wash-up

Date November 13, 2012 - 11:28AM Ben Pobjie

Top tips for soapie stars in search of artistic legitimacy.

OPINION
    Melissa: I get too upset coming home

Perth actress Melissa George has told of her 'upset' at constantly being reminded of her role as Angel in Home and Away, so much so, that she says she won't return to Australia for a while.

In the latest showbusiness brouhaha that has inflamed the world like an extremely important ingrown toenail in the past couple of days, actress Melissa George insulted every proud Australian by telling them to stop referring to her past as a soap opera ingenue. Instead they should focus only on her more recent work, lest she become enraged and abandon this country forever to spend more time eating croissants with her dog.

The issue has divided us, some claiming George should remember the opportunities that her days in Summer Bay afforded her, while others insist it is unfair to concentrate on the work she did almost 20 years ago as if quizzing David Bowie on The Laughing Gnome.

But it's a problem faced by all ex-soapie stars, from Dannii Minogue to Ashley Paske: how do you shake the shameful dandruff of soap opera stardom from the shoulders of your career, when you're out in the wide world trying to make a go of it as a legitimate artist? Luckily for them, entertainment gurus like myself are around to supply lists of Foolproof Ways To Escape The Soapie Spectre:

Home and Away." height="414" width="619"> Click for more photos

1. Move on quickly: You can't hang around a soap opera too long if you want to ever be referred to as anything but “Neighbours star Kym Valentine” or “Home and Away's Kate Ritchie” or “whatshisface off E Street”. For example, Russell Crowe's stint on Neighbours was relatively brief, and he won an Oscar, whereas Tempany Deckert did five years on H&A, and today I am not even sure whether “Tempany Deckert” is even a real person. So the rule with soaps is: get in, get famous, get out. Don't hang around, or your chances of forging a new identity will be as dead as Craig McLachlan's stand-up career.

2. Don't multi-soap: The aforementioned McLachlan made the mistake of appearing in both Neighbours AND Home and Away, meaning he's doomed to always be better remembered for his soap sojourns than for his much-lauded turn as Jeff Kennard in Hating Alison Ashley. It's important that you stick to just ONE soap opera per career, if you want to end up more Guy “Mike Young” Pearce than Bruce “Constable Max/Brad Cooper/that guy who was French but then wasn't” Samazan.

3. Don't sign a contract stipulating you must play the same character in the same show for the rest of your life: Take it from Ray Meagher, this can really come back to bite you in later years.

4. Stretch yourself creatively: Perhaps Melissa George suffers because all the roles she's played since Home and Away have been variations on “woman who looks like Melissa George”. If you want people to forget you were a soapster, you need to go a bit more experimental. Play a skinhead psycho like Crowe, or a Norse god like Chris Hemsworth, or a demented game show host like Cornelia Frances – anything to put the memory of your soap character out of people's minds. If Alex Papps had quit Home and Away to play a transsexual werewolf on The X-Files, maybe he'd be a major film star now, instead of the poor man's John Waters on Play School.

5. Don't go into music: Some might say, “But what about Kylie?” to prove this point wrong, but Kylie is an exceptional case. In almost all other instances, moving from soap to singing just cements your “former soap star” status. As soon as Stefan Dennis released Don't It Make You Feel Good, his fate was sealed: he would be Paul Robinson forever. And Melissa Tkautz? Sure, Read My Lips wowed the critics, but it held her back from escaping that sticky soap opera web. If Daniel Amalm hadn't tried to crack the music biz with Classical Gas, we might be aware of where he is now.

6. Don't make yourself too memorable: Again, Kylie seems able to break through any barrier, but Jason Donovan showed that becoming an icon of Aussie TV doesn't really help when it comes to getting people to forget you were an icon of Aussie TV. Consider Naomi Watts: nobody remembers she used to be in Home and Away; but everybody remembers that Nicolle Dickson was, and that's why she didn't get cast in King Kong: Peter Jackson just couldn't block out the memory of Bobby's ghost appearing in Ailsa's fridge.

7. Don't make yourself too un-memorable: You don't want to be typecast, but you do want to be noticeable enough to find work after you leave. You want to achieve the Isla Fisher level of “oh yeah I remember her” and not the Shane Ammann level of “was he the one with the hair?”

8. Choose your next move wisely: Where you go after abandoning soapland is crucial. Simon Baker learnt that taking a small role in a classy, Oscar-nominated adaptation of a James Ellroy thriller is a “good” move; Annie Jones learnt that joining the cast of an awful sitcom is a “bad” one.

9. Master accents: You'll never escape the emotional gulag of soap opera history if you hang around in Australia, playing Australians. That's why Georgie Parker has now come full circle. If you want to get out, get good at playing other nationalities. Russell Crowe mastered American, English, and Roman-speaking-English-in-English-accent, while Alan Dale is now known as “the man of a thousand accents”, rather than “Jim Robinson”. Admittedly all of those accents sound like Jim Robinson, but that is not the point.

10. Be young and attractive: I can't stress this enough. Hemsworth, Fisher, Pearce, Minogue, Watts – all saw their careers blossom after making the decision to be young and appealing.

So there you are, soapsters. Apply these principles, and you'll have left your past behind quicker than you can say, “Where to now for Tammin Sursok?” Off you go now – good luck, and may you end up more Kwanten than Elmaloglou.

"You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Good tips lol It actually reminds of Holly Valance who left Neighbours to pursue some music career but failed.

As for Melissa George, I don't recall her Hollywood roles.

or a demented game show host like Cornelia Frances
    I miss The Weakest Link.

And I'm glad Holly Valance's second album was an abysmal failure; I was beyond sick of her after her first single. Frigging "Kiss Kiss" my arse.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information