Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Mayim Bialik on Public Breastfeeding: It's Not Sexual

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Honeythorn View Post
    I love me some Mayim Bialik. She seems like a super crunchy mom, but not to the point where she slaps you in the face with it. EB I don't mind if it's a 3 year old. But there was this one EB story that gave me the fucking willies. It was a lady in England that was BF her daughter WHO WAS 8!!!!! 8 bitches you read right. Look up "breastfeeding at 8" on youtube. This lady is BF her two daughters, one is 8 the other is 7.
    when i was a kid, there was a kid in my hometown who was BF until he was 8 or 9. i've told the story here before ....

and no, i'm not from the UK ....

Ah, the 70's childhood. Amazing we all survived.
    KrisNine and czb like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I breastfed my daughter until she was a little over two. I know she didn't need to nurse for nutrition, she did it for comfort. It would help her fall asleep. So, twice a day. Naptime and bedtime. It's not for everyone, but it worked for us. One night, I was sick with a fever and had to have my MIL come help me (the one time I get sick and my SO was out of town) and I went to be without nursing my daughter. That was the last day I did it. She was fine and so was I.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Why I have the issues with extended breastfeeding, is because of the women I know who did it. When asked why they did it, most of their replies mainly involved themselves, and their kids were secondary. So it sounded more like they were doing it for their reasons, as opposed to their kids reasons, if that makes sense.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noxvice View Post
    But her "immodest" involves ankles & knees.... Check out the swimwear she endorses....
    She's an Orthodox Jew, "modest" dressing is very important.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    That's why I try to not comment on her red carpet looks. When you see what everyone else is wearing, I almost feel sorry for her and the big girls, there is nothing really there for them. Yeah there are some atrocities that she wears, but I think a lot of them are because of limited choices.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    That's why I try to not comment on her red carpet looks. When you see what everyone else is wearing, I almost feel sorry for her and the big girls, there is nothing really there for them. Yeah there are some atrocities that she wears, but I think a lot of them are because of limited choices.
    She's previously spoken of her difficulty in finding something that fits the prescribed modesty standards. She's had dresses altered to fit; adding sleeves and such.

Her wardrobe is definitely hit or miss but sometimes I think it has more to do with her personal taste as opposed to lack of choice.

I'll out myself as an extended nurser. I have 4 kids and the older 3 all weaned on their own between the ages of 2-3. My youngest is 17 months and still nurses frequently. I'd like to point out the fallacy of the idea that just because a child can ask means they're too old. My youngest has been able to ask for "nummies" since she was 12 months old and no where near ready to wean. Many organizations, like the WHO, recommend nursing a minimum of 2 years and many kids are able to communicate their needs by that point.

I never set out to be this way. I actually thought breastfeeding was sort of icky at first. I don't exactly enjoy nursing a toddler. It can be annoying but I understand that it's still a very real need for her at this point. As my older ones got older I would place boundaries on when they nursed. By that point, it's usually only once or twice a day, before naps and such. Kid 3 once told me that "nummies are love" when he was two. I hadn't realized it was that important to him. And then a year later he's done with it all together, on his own.

I'll admit the thought of my 6 year old or my 8 year old nursing creeps me out. So I don't know where that line is drawn. But I will say that it seems like there's a lot pressure to wean early in our culture.
    sluce and KrisNine like this.

Badgers, I agree. My longest stretch of nursing was to nearly 2 years. I would have gone longer but he was over it. I love the way it feels to nurse, the attachment and preciousness of it, but I let my babies choose when to wean, they all chose before 2 years. One year we all had the swine flu and the baby I was nursing was the only one to not get it, I am pretty sure I was passing antibodies onto him, it was a nice perk.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Yes, she is (and the bathing suits that she endorses are probably the only thing that might get me on a beach before the next millennium), but I can hardly imagine (because of this) that she's just "popping a tit out" for her kid to suck on as modesty is such a big factor ( la the posters experience up-thread where the mother was running around chasing the kid with herself exposed). This whole thing, the extended breast feeding, the crunchy granola moms etc, heck it's a throwback to my own childhood/upbringing (I have no idea how long I was bf for), there was a fair bit of naturalism/nudity too, as an expression of "it's natural to breast feed". It just never seemed to be that big a deal? You know? But, I guess that's what you get from a granola-parent upbringing? Lol!
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

I breastfed my son who had infant surgery twice, until just before he began walking. Did it everywhere but was so good at using his blanket nobody ever knew. I'd get a funny look at the blanket heap in my arms if he loudly detached making a sucking noise in a store or something Never had one regret and wish I done it with my first born.
    Drive-by poster

I have never gotten looks or anything while breastfeeding in public. I mostly cover but if I can't get to the cover fast enough I might expose a bit of boob, big fucking deal. I've had issues with relatives and friends I was with who absolutely did NOT want me to breastfeed in front of them but what can you do?

Kid is 13 months now and I know I want to stop but at times it is the only thing that will calm him down. I plan to stop before he starts walking and talking but we will see how it goes. It is absolutely not sexual but I think that for women who really do go too far (and I think that over 4 is WAAAY too far) it can turn sexual. I read an AMA on reddit from a girl who was "breastfed" until age 15. Eventually there was no milk coming out, just her mum getting her rocks off with a bedtime routine involving her daughter sucking on her breast. The girl realised she was being sexually abused esp at one time where her mother humped her leg (EWWWWW) and she managed to stop the whole thing without acknowledging it. She has major sexual kinks now involving lesbian sex with big breasted women. Wow, I wonder why.
    Novice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I have never gotten looks or anything while breastfeeding in public. I mostly cover but if I can't get to the cover fast enough I might expose a bit of boob, big fucking deal. I've had issues with relatives and friends I was with who absolutely did NOT want me to breastfeed in front of them but what can you do?

Kid is 13 months now and I know I want to stop but at times it is the only thing that will calm him down. I plan to stop before he starts walking and talking but we will see how it goes. It is absolutely not sexual but I think that for women who really do go too far (and I think that over 4 is WAAAY too far) it can turn sexual. I read an AMA on reddit from a girl who was "breastfed" until age 15. Eventually there was no milk coming out, just her mum getting her rocks off with a bedtime routine involving her daughter sucking on her breast. The girl realised she was being sexually abused esp at one time where her mother humped her leg (EWWWWW) and she managed to stop the whole thing without acknowledging it. She has major sexual kinks now involving lesbian sex with big breasted women. Wow, I wonder why.
    Americans are so VERY uptight about nudity and tits... fucking idiots!
    as for a mother sexually abusing her 15 year old daughter and the REST of that story... jesus! ick!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

This is what I don't understand - we can have celebutards appearing in pop videos butt nekkid apart from a strategically placed arm and leg and others appearing on the red carpet with little more than a minuscule doily and some sequins covering their parts and that's ok but should a woman show much, much less while breastfeeding in public people start getting all Henny Penny and shrieking like the sky is falling in. And don't get me started on when you get the arseholes on breastfeeding debates declaring that boobs are for their pleasure and their pleasure alone and they shouldn't have to share with a baby...
    KrisNine and Novice like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

OK, I'll bite (no pun intended). I'm hereby outing myself as finding BF in public distasteful. I've never commented on it before, because - typical Brit - I don't generally make a fuss. If I don't like something, I mostly remove myself from the situation. Majority rule, and all that. But the truth is, I don't like it. I don't see it as sexual exactly, but breasts are secondary sexual characteristics and therefore make me more uncomfortable than, say, seeing small kids totally naked on the beach. Now that really is sex-less. But bloated boobs? With mini humans attached? Definitely not something I want to see, especially when I'm eating.

Of course understand the convenience of BF vs all the paraphernalia of the alternative, but I don't understand why it's OK to publicly nurse small children (as opposed to babies) who can eat solid food. OK, maybe the immunity and emotional benefits are valid reasons to go on doing it until they're 3 or 6 - or 26 - but there's zero need to do it in public.

Since I'm not a fan of topless beaches nor Page 3 pictures either, I'm clearly the one with issues. So, OK, I have issues. (Who doesn't?) But I'm as entitled to my opinion as everyone else. The difference is that I don't brandish my 'opinion' in other people's faces when they're eating. (Gah, defending this viewpoint feels a bit like being back in the 1970s when I was stuck with inhaling everyone's cigarette smoke.) Since I'm in the minority with this, and don't like other people to feel uncomfortable, I'll just carry on asking for the check and/or leaving asap, and pretending that I don't mind when actually I do.

As for the choice between screaming brat and breastfeeding, oh hell, of course I'd rather face the breast. But since I hate screaming kids even more than feeding ones, I'd probably have left the carriage/restaurant/party before the breast ever emerged. In those situations I can move so fast, I may leave skidmarks...

Now, where's that tinfoil hat?
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information