Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree706Likes

Thread: Matt Lauer fired from NBC News over inappropriate sexual behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    NBC wants no trace of Lauer at 30 Rock. His office has not been remodeled, but destroyed.

The Lauer stories must be legendary.
    Are they doing it to rid themselves of Lauer... or any other evidence that they basically made a rape den for him? (ie the locking button at his desk)

All of the above.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I was reading that the button was a holdover from when the offices were occupied by GE, not something Matt had custom installed.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

^Then someone needs to talk to employees of GE to find out what the hell was going on there.

Regardless, that should have been removed. They still allowed him to have it.

My boss had one of those - for him, at least, it was convenience and security- nothing dodgy at all. In almost 30 years it never occurred to me it could have been used for sexual assault purposes until last week and Matt Lauer. Now it seems bold and horrific and rife with evil possibilities, but I'd stake my life on my old boss never using it that way.

I'm wondering if this was kind of a convenient thing for them ... not that rape charges are convenient. But Today has been lagging in the ratings for quite some time and maybe they were none too upset that they could unload a HUGE salary without any repercussions, plus they "look good" for firing right away (to people that don't know better). And I agree, I can't imagine ANY situation where a concealed and remote lock would be needed. That's just creepy, whether it's the Today show or GE.
    Grandknight and Lalasnake like this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

That's a pretty big tinfoil hat.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

czb

nah, i'm with nevan.

not that he doesn't deserve it, but dumping lauer is probably convenient for NBC at this time.

Me too. I said it the day this happened. $28 mil a year? They're probably not too heartbroken.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

I read that the button only locked the door from the outside - it would still open from the inside. Also that other NBC personalities who were famous enough to have stalkers had the buttons, too. So, he wasn't trapping women inside, he was making sure no one could walk in while he was wagging the wiener.

The somber scene at the ‘Today’ show as host Matt Lauer’s firing is announced

Matt Lauer on the set of “Today” on Nov. 16, two weeks before he was fired. (Zach Pagano/NBC via AP)
    A few things about that button on Matt Lauer’s desk:
    Lauer, fired on Wednesday amid allegations of sexual misconduct, didn’t install the button that enabled him to lock his office door automatically from his desk, it turns out. The mechanism was a standard feature in many of the older offices at 30 Rockefeller Center, NBC’s longtime corporate home, according to people familiar with the building’s operations.
    The button was one of the more lurid and damning elements of the sexual-harassment accusations against Lauer. Variety disclosed its existence in a story published a few hours after NBC dismissed the longtime “Today” host.
    “It allowed him to welcome female employees and initiate inappropriate contact while knowing nobody could walk in on him, according to two women who were sexually harassed by Lauer,” the publication said.
    [NBC: Lauer said he was ‘racking his brain’ but came up blank when asked about harassment]
    And yet, the buttons had more innocent purposes when they were installed years earlier by General Electric, which owned NBC for years and shared office space with the network.

The feature was a perk for top executives who wanted privacy for personal calls or as security in the event of a calamity — such as an active shooter within the building. It’s not clear how many people at NBC News had offices equipped with the device.
    “Apparently, Matt was one of the few, if not the only, NBC News employee to have one,” said a senior NBC News employee, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the worker wasn’t authorized to speak on the record.
    The automatic mechanism — which engaged a powerful magnet to close the door — locked it so that people outside the office could not enter. Anyone on the inside, however, could open the door without hitting the button, the NBC News employee said.
    Some high-level NBC employees, including Lauer, inherited GE executive offices after new owner Comcast Corp. rearranged office assignments in 2011, people at the network said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.fdccdd06d776

lindsaywhit and VeraGemini like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I'm wondering if this was kind of a convenient thing for them ... not that rape charges are convenient. But Today has been lagging in the ratings for quite some time and maybe they were none too upset that they could unload a HUGE salary without any repercussions, plus they "look good" for firing right away (to people that don't know better). And I agree, I can't imagine ANY situation where a concealed and remote lock would be needed. That's just creepy, whether it's the Today show or GE.

Perhaps GE was concerned about employees "going postal" and shooting up the place so they found a way to protect their executives.

When his victim saw him press the button and heard the door lock she probably didn't realise it only locked from the outside and she could still get out.
    C_is_for_Cookie and Kittylady like this.

I'm very curious about the rape in the office. Can anyone come up with a possible scenario to add to what was reported? The assistant takes the victim to see the nurse - what was the assistant thinking? What is she saying to the woman? What did Matt do after it? What did the nurse do when she saw the victim? There is much more to it that I want to know. Did he give her a Bill Cosby beverage? Did he slam her head on the floor or desk to make her pass out? Did she pass out from sheer terror? I had to get that out, this burns me.
    C_is_for_Cookie and MsDark like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    That's a pretty big tinfoil hat.
    I like my tinfoil hats with lots of crystals so they shine brightly!!
    Trixie, sprynkles and Brookie like this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information