Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Matt Damon, public school advocate, sends his kids to private school: hypocritical?

Has he ever commented on dissatisfaction with Obama before? That actually shocked me.

Elite Member

Yes, he refused to campaign for Obama in the last election and criticized him publicly.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Hit By Ban Bus!

I would love to send my kids to private school, it's just that around here, almost all of the private schools are parochial.

It's his money and they are his kids. let him spend his money how he wants and get the education for his kids that he feels is best. no skin off my ass.
    gas_chick and OrangeSlice like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    If I were a celebrity who was known to have a lot of money, I would be pretty careful about where I sent my kids to school. I'd be worried about their personal safety as much as the quality of their education.
    This.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Elite Member

Totally agree. I balk at shit that celebs do like ostentatious clothes, etc for their children. But I can't fault one investing in their children's future with an education they deem worthwhile and necessary.

I also don't think it's inconsistent to advocate for better public education, even if you don't use it for your own kids. In my opinion, it's in everyone's interest that public education programs produce literate, smart kids who are ready to meaningfully contribute to the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    why?
    The school thing doesn't bother me, because public school isn't an option where I currently live either and if we end up staying here, we'll send our kids to private, even though I went to public schools and got a great education. I understand where he's coming from on that issue.

What strikes me as pretentious and obnoxious about his comments is the general attitude he seems to have of "I'm a CELEBRITY. I'm so different from all of these little people." The digs at midwestern moms, like "how could those silly commoners POSSIBLY identify with Jennifer Garner?" The whole bit about sometimes forgetting how special he is and that he's a star. In every response, he finds a way to mention how successful/famous/rich/different from the non-famous commoners he is. For someone who seems to want to present himself as this down to earth, normal person, he sure loves to remind everyone that he's famous and privileged.
    Laurent and BuckyBoyd like this.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    The school thing doesn't bother me, because public school isn't an option where I currently live either and if we end up staying here, we'll send our kids to private, even though I went to public schools and got a great education. I understand where he's coming from on that issue.

What strikes me as pretentious and obnoxious about his comments is the general attitude he seems to have of "I'm a CELEBRITY. I'm so different from all of these little people." The digs at midwestern moms, like "how could those silly commoners POSSIBLY identify with Jennifer Garner?" The whole bit about sometimes forgetting how special he is and that he's a star. In every response, he finds a way to mention how successful/famous/rich/different from the non-famous commoners he is. For someone who seems to want to present himself as this down to earth, normal person, he sure loves to remind everyone that he's famous and privileged.
    I think what he was trying to do, though, was draw a contrast between Ben's wife and his in terms of public recognition and why it's easier for Matt and his family to fly under the radar.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

the comment about jennifer garner wasn't mean, it's just the truth. she's a celeb in her own right, and she does seem to be some kind of role model/celebrity for midwestern soccer moms. and yeah, living in new york or l.a. (or anywhere else in the world that isn't the midwest), you have no idea about this. it's the american equivalent of being 'big in japan' i guess.
    and there's also the fact that his wife isn't a celebrity at all so of course that's going to be different.
    as for pointing out that he's a celebrity, that's just the truth, he is a huge fucking celebrity. everyone in the world knows who matt damon is, he was just pointing out that in new york he can at least forget about that and act normal for at least a few days at a time. at least he's not pretending he's something he's not. and he's not complaining about it either, i thought it was all very matter-of-fact.
    sluce, OrangeSlice and Kittylady like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I like the guy. Hell I like Ben Affleck too. I'll say about the AC thing that I didn't drive a car that had it until the late 90's. I can.not.live.without!!!!!!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I live in the heart of the Midwest an am literally a soccer mom. I can honestly say I don't know a single other female around here who gives a rip about Jennifer G.
    southernbelle likes this.

The reason i get annoyed when Matt Damon makes the comments about avoiding the paparazzi and being married to someone not famous is because he's been saying it for YEARS. In every interview he gives, he always makes comments about his friends Ben Affleck/Jennifer Garner and Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie getting papped all the time and how "lucky" he is because he married someone normal and he goes unnoticed. Does he want a fucking cookie? It's almost like it eats him up inside that his two close friends are part of a huge celebrity couple that gets a lot of media attention because he brings it up in every interview for absolutely no reason at all-and they never name drop him either but he's always name dropping them.
    southernbelle and NickiDrea like this.

Elite Member

They may not give a rip, but Garner sells very well to a certain crowd. That's why she gets the L'oreal contracts. Women identify with her, not as glamorous or edgy (Lancome or MAC), but as a mom who has limited time to invest in make-up choices so she wears a good, simple, brand. Those women like to see photos of Jenn's kids to confirm their vision that she is one of them.

I've visited a lot of message boards where women simply adore Jenn. This isn't on gossip sites like this one.

"It's almost like it eats him up inside that his two close friends are part of a huge celebrity couple that gets a lot of media attention because he brings it up in every interview for absolutely no reason at all-and they never name drop him either but he's always name dropping them."

I'll give him a pass on that one. Publicity tours are brutal. If there is one safe answer to the same question asked by hundreds of journalists, a person has to stick to it to remain sane.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

they're delusional if they think garner is 'one of them'. people are stupid.

damon's usually all right, but he rubs me the wrong way sometimes. he's like one of those over eager kids that read howard zinn for the first time and get all dogmatic and zealoty over it.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information