Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Mark Wahlberg seeks pardon for 1988 assault committed at age 16

I've always felt that the character he portrayed in "Fear" was his actual personality.
    heart_leigh, dksnj, Mrs P and 2 others like this.

Ok so, "In April 1988, Mark Wahlberg, 16, set upon a Vietnamese immigrant named Thanh Lam, and, with a wooden stick, beat him so severely that Lam fell to the ground, unconscious. Later that night, according to contemporaneous accounts, Wahlberg found another Asian man, Hoa Trinh, and, calling him a "gook" and "slant eye," smashed him in the face. Trinh lost sight in his right eye."

but then as per an excerpt from pardon, "My hope is that, by not seeking a pardon, troubled youths will know that their actions have repercussions, even if they later become wealthy celebrities."

Mark, when people do things to become a model citizen, it's because they WANT TO, not to guilt themselves less from something they did in the past. I think you should ask Trinh for the pardon, and if that doesn't work, then poke your eye out, and be blind in that eye for full self-redemption. If you're pardoned, then rapists, drunk drivers and and child molestors should get a pardon later on in life too? Naah... it doesn't work that way.

ETA: I didn't know this...

"At 15, civil action was filed against Wahlberg for his involvement in two separate incidents of harassing African-American children (the first were siblings, and the second incident was a group of black school children on a field trip), by throwing rocks and shouting racial epithets... In another incident, the 21-year-old Wahlberg fractured the jaw of a neighbor in an unprovoked attack. He said the right thing to do would be to try to find the blinded man and make amends, and admitted he has not done so, but added that he was no longer burdened by guilt... I really started to feel that guilt go away. So I don't have a problem going to sleep at night. I feel good when I wake up in the morning.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Wahlberg
    Mark Wahlberg should not be pardoned - The Week
    Last edited by mtlebay; December 6th, 2014 at 02:02 PM.
    Nevan and Mrs P like this.
    Go Habs Go!!

If he'd sought out Trinh and personally made amends in whatever ways were necessary, I might feel a bit differently about this. He admits he hasn't, though, so fuck him.

And...."Wahlburgers"? Really?? What a dipshit. Sounds like an insect that eats your plaster.
    Callalily likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I don't know why it really matter to him now. It's not like it's going to keep him from getting a job like it would us normal everyday working stiffs. That shit follows people like us foreva.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I love that he hasn't tried to make amends, admits to it, but magically his guilt has gone away. Well, gosh I'm so happy that he is no lingered burdened by the guilt he probably never felt in the first place.
    Nevan and Callalily like this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    I don't know why it really matter to him now. It's not like it's going to keep him from getting a job like it would us normal everyday working stiffs. That shit follows people like us foreva.
    I think someone stated earlier, that he can't open franchises of his restaurant in certain states because of the conviction. All about the money.

How about an eye for an eye?

I hate this used up douche bag, and this is one of the reasons. The only one that should be able to grant him a pardon is the man he attacked and blinded... after the man is allowed to do what was done to him.

Fuck Marky Mark. I'd like to club him hard with a brick , to make sure he felt some good vibrations.
    Honeythorn and heart_leigh like this.

He's disgusting. Talentless and ugly as sin.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    I think someone stated earlier, that he can't open franchises of his restaurant in certain states because of the conviction. All about the money.
    If there's any truth to this article it's about something a whole lot scarier - apparently he wants to be allowed to own a gun and become a police reservist.

Gunning for a clean record: Mark Wahlberg 'bids to have criminal record wiped' – so he can become a reserve police officer

• Wahlberg wants pardon for assault in 1988 that left victim blind in one eye
    • Wahlberg, 43, served 45 days in jail for attack but insists he has changed
    • It is reported he became interested in police while researching movies
    • Federal law bans convicted felons from owning a gun and are frowned on by police

Mark Wahlberg has launched an appeal to wipe clean his criminal record ... so he can handle a gun and join the police, it has been reported.
    The actor, whose oeuvre includes such films as 'Shooter', '2 Guns' and 'Contraband', spent 45 days in jail in 1988 after he was convicted for a vicious, racially-charged attack that left a man blind in one eye.

But the 43-year-old now insists he is a changed man and has begged the state of Massachusetts to pardon his criminal past and allow him to join an L.A. area police force as a reservist, TMZ.com reported.

Federal law bans convicted felons from possessing firearms or ammunition, and therefore renders becoming an armed police officer impossible.

The celebrity-gossip website claimed he became interested in the life of a lawman while researching roles for movies, including 'The Other Guys,' 'Max Payne' and 'The Departed.'
    Other celebrities who have turned their hands to law enforcement include former basketball star Shaquille O’Neal, who joined a Miami reservist patrol unit this year, and Jack Osbourne, who is on the force in Muncie, Indiana. Court documents reveal just how horrifying Wahlberg's 1988 attack was - including startling racial slurs he shouted at the victim and others - but the actor insists he is now 'a better person and citizen'.

Wahlberg, who served 45 days in jail after the assault, says his record continues to impact him and could prevent businesses, such as restaurants, that work with him from getting licenses.
    He insists he has come a long way since April 1988, when he attacked Thanh Lam with a five-foot stick while yelling slurs at him in order to steal the two cases of beer he was carrying.
    Documents included in his pardon request show he called the Vietnamese immigrant a 'Vietnam f***ing s***' before striking him so hard that the stick broke in two and knocked Lam unconscious, according to the documents shared by The Smoking Gun.
    He then fled the scene and approached a second man, Hoa Trinh, put his arm around his shoulder and asked him to help him hide.
    But once police passed, Wahlberg hit him, leaving him blind in one eye.
    When Boston cops tracked Wahlberg down and took him back back to the scene of the assault outside a convenience store in Dorchester, he told officers: 'You don't have to let him identify me, I'll tell you now that's the motherf***** whose head I split open', the documents show.al statements about 'gooks' and 'slant-eyed gooks'.'
    In his plea, Wahlberg said that he was under the influence of alcohol and drugs at the time.
    'From later accounts of the incident, it is my understanding that I may have caused serious injuries' to the men, he wrote.
    Other documents show that, in an earlier attack in Dorchester, he and two friends saw a group of black siblings and chased them.

'We don't like black n****** in the area so get the f*** away from the area,' the boys shouted at the group, according to the documents.

They then chased the boys, shouting: 'Kill the n*****, kill the n*****'.
    The following day, the group encountered one of the boys again and threw rocks at him. One of the rocks thrown by Wahlberg and one of his friends hit a nearby girl.
    The trio caused 'a high level of anxiety, fear and intimidation', the documents said.
    Though he was then only 16 at the time of the 1988 attack, he was charged as an adult and convicted of assault. According to NECN the initial charge was attempted murder.
    After emerging from prison, Wahlberg went on to find success in music with Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch and as a Calvin Klein model.

But it was his appearance in the 1996 film Boogie Nights that really changed things, catapulting Wahlberg into the critically-acclaimed box office juggernaut that he is today.

'I am deeply sorry for the actions that I took on the night of April 8, 1988, as well as for any lasting damage that I may have caused the victims,' Wahlberg wrote in the pardon application.
    'Since that time, I have dedicated myself to becoming a better person and citizen so that I can be a role model to my children and others.'
    He devotes much of his time and a large amount of his money to various charities, including the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation and the Dorchester Boys and Girls Club.
    He is also a family man now, married to former model Rhea Durham and the father of four children, and attends church daily.
    The Board of Pardons will investigate the petition to decide if it warrants a hearing before it is recommended to the governor who by that time will be the recently elected Charlie Baker.

And while erasing the past is important, Wahlberg points out that he still talks about what he did to show how much a person can change.
    But he said that, as a convicted criminal, there are still some things he cannot do and for that he needs a pardon, including working with law enforcement to help at-risk youth.
    In the end, however, it is about showing his growth.
    'The more complex answer is that receiving a pardon would be a formal recognition that I am not the same person that I was on the night of April 8, 1988,' Wahlberg explains.
    'It would be formal recognition that someone like me can receive official public redemption if he devotes himself to personal improvement and a life of good works.'

Read more: Mark Wahlberg 'bids to have criminal record wiped' to become reserve police officerÂ* | Daily Mail Online
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

He could still get liquor licenses. He could be omitted from the applications. It happens all the time.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I am surprised the victim has not commented yet. Perhaps he has been paid off.

An “Interview” With The Asian Man Whom Mark Wahlberg Horribly Disfigured | Thought Catalog

An “Interview” With The Asian Man Whom Mark Wahlberg Horribly Disfigured

By Wayne Wax

Most people know Mark Wahlberg as a Hollywood hunk who shot to fame as a rapper, model, and, most recently, actor. People associate him with roles such as David from Fear, Dirk Diggler from Boogie Nights, and the non-CGI male lead from Ted. What people don’t associate Wahlberg with is racist brutality—which is odd, considering the facts.

When Marky Mark was fifteen, he had civil actions placed against him for hurling rocks at black people while screaming racial slurs at them. One year later, in a single day, he knocked Thahn Lam—a middle-aged man of Vietnamese descent—unconscious with a stick while calling him “Vietnam fucking shit” (assumedly he brushed up his wordplay skills in the Funky Bunch) and, on that same evening, punched Hoa Trinh—again several years his senior—in the eye, permanently blinding him. After being brought to the scene on the first charge, Wahlberg told officers, “You don’t have to let him identify me, I’ll tell you now that’s the motherfucker whose head I split open” and apparently made several remarks regarding “gooks” and “slant-eyed gooks” during police proceedings. For his crimes he spent 45 days in a correctional facility.

It’s hard to believe, right? I mean, he’s so good-looking! While everybody deserves a second chance, Mark Wahlberg seems to have had several, which can only mean that he’s now going through other people’s second chances at their expense. After all, he makes around $11-15 million per movie, had relationships with countless beautiful women before settling down and having kids, and even narrowly avoided being killed in the September 11th terror attacks by deciding at the last minute not to board one of the doomed flights and opting instead to visit Toronto for the film festival.
    He even had to apologize after claiming, “If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn’t have went down like it did,” which, if you were still on the fence about whether or not the man has a serious personality disorder, should pretty much sell you completely. Or maybe the following quote regarding the man that he blinded will do it:

You have to go and ask for forgiveness and it wasn’t until I really started doing good and doing right by other people, as well as myself, that I really started to feel that guilt go away. So I don’t have a problem going to sleep at night. I feel good when I wake up in the morning.

In his defense, he did think about tracking down Hoa Trinh to do right by him but admitted that he hadn’t gotten around to it yet. None of this has made so much as a dent in his success, and while I’m sure that things could be going better for him somehow, I can’t imagine how.

The man seems to be a living challenge for proponents of karmic retribution, a fly in the ointment for justice enthusiasts everywhere. So why the total lack of outrage? If Paula Deen deserved to be crucified for saying that black people would look cute dressed in old-timey costumes and serving her dinner, then surely Mark Wahlberg should be slowly dipped in a vat of acid for lobbing rocks at black kids and waging a one-man domestic campaign against the yellow menace.

Sorry if that last line offended you, but seeing as I’m not the one with a leading role in any upcoming Transformers movies, maybe you should be directing your vitriol upward. Wahlberg is a chink in the armor for social-justice warriors everywhere, who loathe inequality but love the arts, who spend half their Tumblr time on privilege-policing and the other half reblogging movie gifs and stills, who want social revolution to transform reality but still buy into the Hollywood dream one movie ticket at a time. They hate the man’s crimes, but they’d love to lick Hershey’s syrup off his chest. And who can blame them?

The obvious counterargument to the idea of his present accountability is that he was a kid when he did those things and therefore didn’t know any better. Well, Paula Deen and Donald Sterling were old when they shot themselves in the foot; if age is an extenuating circumstance in the deliberation of guilt, is it only people between the ages of 18-60 who should be held accountable for the injustices they perpetrate? Wait, wouldn’t that be ageist? Maybe we should order a full medical competency assessment when rearing up to light our torches and grab our pitchforks, but then again that could let a few crazies slip through the cracks, and what’s a good old-fashioned media circus without a lunatic or two?

At any rate, while Mark Wahlberg doesn’t deem it necessary to seek out Hoa Trinh and check up on how he’s doing, I certainly did, which is why in advance of writing this article I jumped on the first flight to Boston I could afford with a friend of mine who speaks Vietnamese, just in case I needed a translator. After sitting down at a coffee shop with him I carried out the following interview:

W: First off Mr. Trinh, I’d just like to thank you for taking part in this interview. I realize that you’ve already been through a lot, but hopefully your input here will provide a source of comfort and support for other victims of violence, especially that of a racist nature.
    T: *no words, just silence and a haunted look in his one functional eye*

W: Uhh, yeah. So, how do you feel about Mark Wahlberg at the present time? Do you hold any grudges, or is it fair to say that you’ve moved past everything he put you through and are now leading a positive life?
    T: *Trinh slowly buries his head in his hands without saying a word*

W: Right…well, look. Here’s a picture of Mark Wahlberg during the 1991 Calvin Klein underwear ad he took part in. Tell me, how does this make you feel?
    T: *Sobs uncontrollably, starts shaking so violently that he knocks over his coffee cup*

W: Waitress! Can we get some more napkins over here, please?

He seemed pretty down, so I left him a copy of The Other Guys and left. Life goes on, I guess.

Editor’s Note: The only “satirical” part of this article is the “interview.” Everything else about Mark Wahlberg is documented and true.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^ I was thinking along the same lines...wonder why no one has tracked down the victim to do a story on his life since the incident and his thoughts on Marky Mark.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ The sad part is that if the victim is tracked down and exposed to the media then they'd possibly face being victimised all over again by those few but vocal fools who think Wahlberg is a hero for bashing one of "them" and the inevitable 'Stans' that anyone with a drop of fame seems to attract.
    Callalily likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

^ True. I actually hope the guy was paid off because it would really suck to be living with a permanent disability and no compensation while your attacker is now a rich famous celeb.
    Kittylady and Callalily like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

If I was on the parole board, NO FUCKING WAY!! For a gun??? NO FUCKING WAY, you damned moron. I am a big proponent of gun rights, but I'm also a proponent of certain gun controls .... I do think they need to be worked on much harder to get them right though. This guy at FIFTEEN had such a corrupt soul that he threw rocks at black people, knocked some random guy out with a 5' stick (that BROKE) to steal beer, AND BLINDED A MAN FOR NO REASON. This is one of the gun control laws that I agree with ... you do a hard crime, NO FUCKING GUNS for you!! I don't care how much you've grown, you BLINDED another HUMAN BEING for not being the same race you are. I have a very difficult time believing that you can wash your soul clean enough to be a decent human being after that. Maybe he did, who knows, but you did the crime, now deal with it. It wasn't just a crime, but an extremely VIOLENT crime, and multiples of them. I'm glad you think you've changed, good for you, but damn it, NO PARDON. Are we going to wash every violent offender's sins clean now?? Why are you so different, Marky?? YOU'RE NOT!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information