Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Mark Wahlberg: Britney Spears not a good role model for my daughter

I love that song.
    Mark's got a hot bod.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    I've never understood why people look to Hollywood celebrities as role models.

There are few successful people with morals in that cesspit!
    Lazy parents who don't want to take the blame for why they're children are so fucked up.

Man I want him so bad.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    ^^Yup. I guess he forgets that a lot of parents didn't think he was much of a role model for their kids back in the day.

1. dude still hasn't left his mommy
    2. trashed his brother for his New Kids gig when his brother got him his career
    3 btw has he married his babies Momma yet - because at least Britney was married

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    1. dude still hasn't left his mommy
    2. trashed his brother for his New Kids gig when his brother got him his career
    3 btw has he married his babies Momma yet - because at least Britney was married
    All good points, especially the one in bold.

Bronze Member

I'm all for someone being rehabilitated and getting a second chance and I'm sure he is remorseful, but what's always made me uncomfortable about Marky Mark is he's never come out and really, truly owned his violent past. Not to the extent he should, considering the ghastly nature of the crime. And why not? Because he's a celebrity, and to keep getting the perks of that, he has to play down his past.

I always think of his victim and how messed up it must be to see Wahlberg on TV, living a life of privilege and getting all this adulation. I would have some respect for Wahlberg if he was willing to be really candid about it, and was willing to gamble his perks by being so candid. And if he used the fame he has to bring attention to the issue of kids who turn to violence.

It seems like it's deliberately hidden to keep him likable so he can have what he wants. Which I don't think a very deep sense of remorse would let you do.

As for the Britney/Paris as role models in LA - what is he talking about? People everywhere have heard of them, and it's not like his kids are going to go clubbing with them any time soon. Why would proximity to them mean they'd take them on as role models?

He is hot but he needs to STFU. All he does lately is run his mouth.

I agree w/ Jane, he hasn't owned up to his own past. I have seen him talk about his past in interviews and he either glosses over it or says "I'm not a racist".
    Fabulous!

Bronze Member

During an interview with Terry Gross on NPR, Mark went into depth about his past, it's effects on the victims and himself. He seems to wear the stain of his past all the time (which he admitted goes deeper than just one crime.) A long interview, unlike People Magazine, but it delivered the goods.

Some will now complain about that. The point is, if he is honest and contrite, people won't believe him, and if he stays mum, people say he isn't really sorry.

so you can't have it both ways. Which do you want?

Elite Member

I hate this creep - he's also a sexist (surprise). Funky bunch-I'd like to bury him with his funky bunch, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by theplotterist View Post
    During an interview with Terry Gross on NPR, Mark went into depth about his past, it's effects on the victims and himself. He seems to wear the stain of his past all the time (which he admitted goes deeper than just one crime.) A long interview, unlike People Magazine, but it delivered the goods.

Some will now complain about that. The point is, if he is honest and contrite, people won't believe him, and if he stays mum, people say he isn't really sorry.

If he was really contrite about his own past, he'd know that he was in no position to be publicly bashing other people for not being role models. Forget about taking out somebody's eye, throwing rocks at people, and getting arrested. He's got three kids and hasn't even thought about marrying his girlfriend. That's not setting a good example either. So, he can't have it both ways. If you're going to preach about other people being role models, then you need to walk the walk yourself.

It's the same with born-again Christians, they do all of their dirt, get saved, and then jump on soap boxes and tell everybody else how sinful they are.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Oh and don't forget, the beating was doled out because the other kid was Asian.
    not kid, man! the other guy was in his 40s

Seems to be the norm. Vanilla balls is another offender. Personally I don't see a deal with it though.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by theplotterist View Post

Who wants it both ways? You yourself said "some will now complain about that". Some people picking on him for one thing, some for the other is not the same as one individual wanting it "both ways."

I would be willing to change my mind if I heard something satisfying from him, though still would have reservations that he hadn't spoken up before his career took off more and more. I have heard him express remorse before, but thought it was still glossed over. As I said "Not to the extent he should, considering the ghastly nature of the crime." I listened to the Terry Gross interview ready to hear this, based on what you said, but still didn't. I give him credit for saying he'd done horrible things and caused pain, but he doesn't go into depth about it at all. He talks more about its effects on himself. I think that's fair enough in the context of this interview, but I'm saying I still haven't heard him speak about it in a way that means he's willing to be totally transparent about it to the public, whose support his career depends on.

To me this would mean something like going on Oprah, laying it all out on the table with the intent to steer kids from the same path. Doing it in a high-profile forum would be important. Part of my point is this is not common knowledge. People shouldn't have to seek out a little-known interview to hear him express a little remorse.

I could say to most people: 'Did you know Mark Wahlberg once took out someone's eye in a racially-motivated attack?', and they are shocked. I didn't know myself until not that long ago. It really made me feel a bit sick that this was not that well known about him and that I had only ever heard vague details of a 'troubled' past, with the onus being on how great for him that he'd made it.

I'm sure he has gone through private hell with this. My problem is with the Hollywood machine, that he is willingly a part of, that deliberately plays down something like this - while playing up that he overcame personal difficulty - in order to keep ensuring that the public likes him.

Well, does he have to? I don't want to defend Marky Mark, but in my opinion the parents' lasting commitment to each other and their kids is what counts. Britney and K.Fed's relationship was hardly lasting or committed, even if they did have a marriage certificate for a couple of years.

And to be fair, why would any parent want to raise teenagers in Hollywood? When you're young, the peer pressure to fit in is bad enough anywhere... let alone when the cool kids are the offspring of celebs and multi-millionaires, or troublemaking celebs in their own right. I can't blame him if he wants to remove his kids from that sort of social environment.

^I agree. Hollywood is such a fucked up place. If my parents were celebrities, I'd be totally screwed up too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information