Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Mariah Carey Gets Candid About the Grammys: 'Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give a Damn'

I, for one, don't want an invite to the party I've not been invited to.
    idunno likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post

I agree she is very talented and I also agree that Lauryn Hill and her 14 Grammys officially make her overrated, especially in comparison to Mariah, but I feel like music shouldn't be about winning Grammys, just like acting performances shouldn't be about winning Oscars. She does a lot of damage to her own career by acting the drunk diva and presenting the persona of being a general mess. She does definitely has talent in spades, but no one is stopping her from putting out records, or playing concerts. She has enough money, forget about the awards and focus on the music. If she just sat down, got her voice under control, and put out an album of old standards and covers, I bet she'd sell a lot of records right off the bat. Most of my favorite singers and bands have never even been invited to the Grammys, much less nominated, much less won any, but that doesn't make them any less talented IMO.
    But isn't that what she is saying? That once she realized how political it was, she stopped really caring? I mean, I think she does care, but she is making the point you're making. It's not about talent so whatever.
    Lofty Bike and BITTER like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    But isn't that what she is saying? That once she realized how political it was, she stopped really caring? I mean, I think she does care, but she is making the point you're making. It's not about talent so whatever.
    I feel like that's what she should be saying, but she actually seems to be arguing that the awards should be going to the uber-popular high-sellers ("'We don’t go with the people that are selling a lot of records and are popular; we’re gonna go the opposite way.' So I got screwed out of certain years.") and that instead they go to the plaintive songwriter types ("standing here barefoot onstage singing") - which isn't really the case. And really, she used to be a songwriter who also sold well and delivered during live performances; she just... stopped doing those things as well as she used to. She's either confused or deluding herself.
    Waterslide, weathered1 and rollo like this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

^Yeah, that's pretty much my take.

I think if Mariah really didn't care about the Grammys, she wouldn't have gone on about how she got "screwed". And I think she's saying the words "it's only about politics," not so much as an impetus to making music her own way and enjoying it and not giving a rat's ass about awards as she's saying them to make herself feel better for not winning them anymore. If she really doesn't care, then more power to her. I just think she's insecure, and like Tati mentioned, that she's deluding herself. I'm just not convinced she believes what she's saying.
    BITTER likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information