Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Mariah Carey cancels Las Vegas concert after only a week

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Bombshell View Post
    If a seem splits, the first row is in grave danger.
    Thankfully it's not a Leanne rimes concert so it should be a SHART free experience #countourblessings
    spinmonkey likes this.

Elite Member

If a seam splits, the first row is in grave danger.
    Apparantly a seam did split. There's a video at th link, but I can't get it to post.

Mariah Carey's Dress, Like Her Show, Is Splitting Apart at the Seams

Rumors that Mariah Carey’s vegas show is falling apart have been running rampant since the singer opened last week. The New York Times gave it an awful review and Carey cancelled a show earlier this week due to bronchitis, though some speculate it might have been due to lack of rehearsal. And then there’s this: A video of her dress splitting wide open, suggesting that there’s more trouble than just bronchitis and a lack of dance moves in Sin City. The above video is of a wardrobe malfunction that occurred during the first show (and not the only one; Carey also gave the audience a glimpse of her bedazzled underwear) when Mariah’s dress split open and had to be fixed on stage.

In addition—and this is sad for me to write because all of us here love Mariah and are rooting for her success—fans just don’t seem as into the show as hoped, with one dude being pulled up on stage appearing very underwhelmed to be meeting Mariah and being invited to “touch her body” while in a bed on stage.

To be fair, it kind of does look and sound a mess? But maybe it’s better live?

You know what I would pay for? A recreation of Mariah Carey’s cribs video done live on-stage. No singing required and the entertainment value endless. What do you say Cirque Du Soleil?

Silver Member

Idiot, is she still deluding herself that she's a size 4 or whatever?

I saw her performance on the Billboard awards last night & she was struggling. She started out way lower than the song was originally recorded & her voice was wobbly. It was not good.
    Palermo likes this.

Elite Member

I watched it too and it was bad, she couldn't even hit the simplest of notes midrange. Really sad, I'm worried she's going to go the way of Whitney and Michael soon.
    arie_skop likes this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

I couldn't believe some of the reviews were good for that awards show. She is nothing like she used to be.

If a seam splits, the first row is in grave danger.
    Years ago for a friends bachelorette party, a bunch of us went to a drag show. Someone knew someone and we ended up front row. You could see every rip, tear, wrinkle and bulge sitting that close. I was horrified and moved back, it was just too much. I have to imagine that's what her first few rows must feel like. Kinda like that saying about liking to eat meat but not wanting to see how its made?
    Bombshell likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

She run out of sausage casings? I think they need to give her some lazy time between showings. Y'know....so many days of shows and then about 3 times the number of downtime days following. That's the only way you're gonna get anything long term out of someone like her. Especially with any kind of consistent quality to make it worth the investment.

It gives her time to recoup from the frantic working out, detoxing and purging via colonics, diuretics, and other various uppers that she probably has to do to make herself physically presentable and possessing of the needed energy for said shows. After anywhere from 3-7 days in a row of this, she probably requires about 3 times the amount of days to be lazy, sleep in, binge her ass off on grease and booze, and general daily pampering. Only after she she's fully relaxed (and stuffed to the gills) she can think about doing what it takes to charge herself up for the next run.

This is sort of how I see Britters being too. But she probably requires several more people to drag her ass into action. And many others for protection to make sure she doesn't fall too far off the deep end (physically, mentally and emotionally) when she's not in work/getting ready for work mode. They probably monitor the food and beverage and substance intake much more vigilantly as well. Britters is no doubt specifically medicated. She definitely cannot be left to her own devices.

Mariah OTOH, has the capability to do shit for herself if she had to. But she is princess MooMooKittyFuck and that's why others are in place to assist.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I just amused myself by reading Yelp reviews on Britney's show. http://www.yelp.com/biz/britney-piece-of-me-las-vegas-2

There's the die-hard fans in denial "I LOVE her, she was GREAT!" but most were invariably "I expected the lip synching, but she could have moved more than her arms." Lots of "she's obviously checked out and doesn't want to be there." There aren't any video screens because it would make the obvious even more obvious: even the cheap seats would get a close up of her dead eyes, and you don't want people to focus on how little she's doing while the background dancers create the actual show.

And before people start feeling sorry for her, someone else pointed out she makes $475k per show.

I'm sick (in the head) but it made me feel better about myself to read one horrible, disappointed review after another.
    Last edited by Beeyotch; May 23rd, 2015 at 04:16 PM.
    CornFlakegrl likes this.

Mariah Carey's brother fears she will 'die like Whitney Houston' as he claims the pop star is addicted to alcohol and prescription drugs

By DAILYMAIL.COM REPORTER
    PUBLISHED: 17:50, 3 June 2015 | UPDATED: 21:34, 3 June 2015

Mariah Carey's brother fears her drinking will kill her and claims he has never seen her sober.
    The Hero hitmaker's sibling Morgan - who hasn't directly spoken to the singer in two years - fears the star is unable to care for her four-year-old twins Moroccan and Monroe because he believes she is trying to numb her problems with wine and champagne.
    Alleging she has been a heavy drinker since suffering from mental health problems in 2001, Morgan told the National Enquirer magazine: 'Mariah was drinking through her pregnancy - even while she was nursing.

+3

Disturbing claims: Mariah Carey's brother Morgan Carey fears her drinking will kill her and claims he has never seen her sober, the singer pictured in May in New York

'I can't say that I have ever been around her when she was sober, and that's very scary.'
    Morgan also claimed his 45-year-old sister takes a daily cocktail of medications including Zyprexa, Ativan and Depakote, and fears she will 'die like Whitney Houston'.
    He added: 'She does not have a support system, and she is not mentally capable.'

+3

Estranged: Morgan claims he has not seen his sister in two years, pictured in 1991

Morgan is concerned the Without You singer has 'pushed away the only people who've been trustworthy' and will blame her entourage if anything does happen to her.
    He said: 'If my sister turns up dead ... I'm not going to look the other way! Anyone who's filling her glass is jeopardising her life!'
    Reps for Mariah Carey declined DailyMail.com's request for comment on these claims.

+3
    He says it was a sham: Morgan went on to allege that the father of Mariah's twins, Nick Cannon, married her for her money, the family pictured in October 2012 at the Santa Monica Pier in California

Mariah's brother also branded her estranged husband Nick Cannon a 'crock of s**t' who wasn't good for his sister and was only interested in money.
    He said: 'Nick listened to people who said, "Get with Mariah, she thinks you're cute, have kids and ride it to the bank." Nick was there for the cash from day one. He doesn't give a damn about Mariah.
    'Nick took tremendous advantage of her and continues to do so.'
    DailyMail.com has contacted reps for Nick Cannon regarding these claims.

Read more: Mariah Carey's brother fears she will 'die like Whitney Houston' | Daily Mail Online

I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    I get what you're saying A*O and I agree with you, but the vocal loss she's experienced is way above and beyond the norm. Look at Celine Dion for example, maintains incredible range and she's well into her 40's, older than Mariah.
    Hell, look at Barry Gibb, whose prime was 40-45 years ago. He can still sing in falsetto.
    arie_skop likes this.

Alcohol and the Voice

If you're a singer, your body is your instrument. Improper care of it over long periods of time will become evident in the sound of your voice. Younger bodies, having less exposure to external influences, are more resilient. But with each passing year your body will manifest the signs of these deteriorating influences. In this Vocal Tip, we'll address an influence that has proven to be significantly detrimental to the untrained as well as the technically developed voice.

How Alcohol Affects a Singer's Voice

I encourage you to read this with objectivity. This isn't a lecture on morality. If you like drinking alcohol and think you can't get through a gig without it, I hope you will consider the merits of this information and use it to your benefit.

Alcohol-Nutrient or Poison?

Even though you ingest alcohol as any other liquid, it is not a nutrient like water, protein, carbohydrates, etc. In fact, your body recognizes alcohol as a poison and works hard to remove it from the system. Any drug is a poison with a small amount acting as a stimulant, giving you "high;" a larger amount acting as a sedative, making you sleepy and a large enough quantity killing your body.

To rid itself of this poison, the body releases fluids to wash it out, thus increasing urination and dehydration. While alcohol is detrimental to singing, its effects are shorter term than pot (marijuana) and other drugs because it is water soluble and your body can flush it out faster than oil soluble substances. If you want an alcoholic beverage, it is best to have it after your performance, drink a lot of water and allow about 24 hours for your body to fully regain normal fluid levels before you sing again.

The Effects on a Singer of Drinking Alcohol

Dehydration
    Have you ever tried to sing while your mouth and throat were dry? If you have, you probably already understand that the muscles and mucous membrane that compose your vocal folds require hydration to perform well. These vocal tissues make many small rapid motions and adjustments in order to produce the variety of sounds you imagine when you sing. Their flexibility and agility depends to no small degree upon their level of hydration (water content).Mucous
    You might think that because the vocal folds are covered by mucous membrane - similar to the tissue of the inside of your mouth - that mucous would help you sing. Unfortunately, abnormal mucous production occasioned by alcohol consumption only reduces vocal fold flexibility and increases the need to clear your throat. Alcohol irritates and dehydrates the vocal folds as well as the rest of the body. To protect itself, the body produces mucous much in the same way as it would deal with an allergic reaction.

Dilated blood vessels and capillaries, another possible side effect of alcohol consumption, may interfere with normal blood flow to the folds and larynx. Without getting further into scientific detail, you probably already understand that this may interfere with the proper function of your vocal instrument.Numbness
    Perhaps you like a drink before performing in order to relax any stage jitters you may be feeling. Certainly relaxing your body and mind can't be a bad thing. Perhaps not, but an unwanted consequence is impaired muscle coordination and overall physical efficiency of your vocal folds. Remember, those little muscles in your larynx perform many rapid subtle actions to produce all the nuances of tone of which a voice is capable. Even slight loss of muscle coordination can result in singing off pitch. You may not have known that, in addition to all these insidious influences, alcohol strips your body of B vitamins which are essential nutrients for the proper function of your nervous system. Since your nervous system monitors your muscles, alcohol's effect is like a double edged sword impairing simultaneously motor control through the nerves and flexibility in the vocal folds.

Last but not least, alcohol can have a numbing effect on your throat thereby reducing your awareness that you are using too much force when you sing. You may be forcing out too much air or otherwise straining and not even be aware of it so you wouldn't do anything about it. But let me tell you that by the end of the night or the next day, you will be aware of the negative repercussions of singing with a dehydrated and forced voice.

Is it Worth It?

So now that you know some of the facts, ask yourself, "Is it worth it?" Is that momentary euphoria worth the consequences to your voice and career? If you have made the mistake of singing and drinking alcohol, especially in a loud nightclub, you should help your body recover by drinking lots of water or vegetable or fruit juice (no sugar added) to re-hydrate the tissue. Take some vitamins, rest your voice and do light vocal warm-ups to limber your vocal muscles. Steaming your voice is a soothing treatment for hydration and clearing out mucous build-up in your larynx. Steaming is a helpful remedy for vocal fatigue even when you haven't been drinking.

Yours in song, Jeannie Deva

How Drinking Alcohol Effects a Singer's Voice

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Years ago for a friends bachelorette party, a bunch of us went to a drag show. Someone knew someone and we ended up front row. You could see every rip, tear, wrinkle and bulge sitting that close. I was horrified and moved back, it was just too much. I have to imagine that's what her first few rows must feel like. Kinda like that saying about liking to eat meat but not wanting to see how its made?
    I went to the Rock Of Ages musicial a years ago. Sat very front row. The lead female singer you can see all her acne underneath the 6 pounds of makeup she was wearing. You could even see sweat form on the singers faces from where I was seating.

It's no surprise that singers sweat in concert under the bright lights.

If you want them to sit on a stool, mime and look pretty why pay any money at all?
    Kittylady, arie_skop and Janus like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information