Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: Mariah Carey Admits She Gave Derek Jeter That W.A.P. While Still Married To Tommy

Gold Member

Mariah told this all without naming names, but discussed one of the Divas Live concerts and claimed that one of the Divas she was performing with didn't "know her place" when it came to signing with Aretha Franklin - that everyone else stepped back to let Aretha do her thing, and one Diva must have had a "cultural misunderstanding" in thinking she could outperform Aretha, or at least go toe to toe with her. That was Celine, but I think Carole King was interviewed and said it was Celine's solo to sing and Aretha overtook HER performance. Anyway, Mariah made it clear she did not approve of Celine's behaviour and was AGHAST at what was happening on stage.

A little ironic of her to frame it as a "cultural misunderstanding" - as if a French Canadian could not possibly understand Aretha's place in the music world and to STEP BACK BITCH - when most of the book is framed in reference to Mariah's own biracial identity.

Quote Originally Posted by BrowFilla View Post
    A little ironic of her to frame it as a "cultural misunderstanding" - as if a French Canadian could not possibly understand Aretha's place in the music world and to STEP BACK BITCH - when most of the book is framed in reference to Mariah's own biracial identity.
    I can certainly imagine Celine going all Las-Vegas-Over-The-Top there, and (my Queen) Aretha being not amused by such antics. I do remember the special as a masterclass in oversinging from everyone involved, though - I wanted to like it, but it was just awful, especially the "You make me feel like a natural woman" finale. My poor ears.
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x35j9h1
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    OITNB, Galina 'Red' Reznikov:
    You want to assassinate someone, vision is a basic requirement. It's like: step one: pick a person to kill. Step two: kill THAT person.

Gold Member

So looking at that video there's maybe a few seconds where Celine is "competing" with Aretha? I don't see the big deal at all. Mariah was horrified apparently.

Also Shania was so beautiful, her face is ruined now. Sad.

^^^I think that Aretha certainly set that straight. I don't see it as a problem either, but I'm a white german, so what do I know?
    OITNB, Galina 'Red' Reznikov:
    You want to assassinate someone, vision is a basic requirement. It's like: step one: pick a person to kill. Step two: kill THAT person.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information