Login to remove the ads!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Mara Wilson: Film Acting is Not Fun

Anna Paquin grew into a fug adult and it didn't stop her. I guess you need to want it hard enough.
    Novice, DeadDwarf and holly like this.
    Under the most beautiful peacock's tail always hides the usual chicken butt.

But movies would be so much better if people like her stayed with acting as opposed to vapid no talents who merely looked hot.
    But how do you know that? She was okay as a kid actress but there's no guarantee she's talented at it as an adult. Her big sad eyes and lisp made her cute, which is enough for a kid but cuteness doesn't always translate into adulthood.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

She is working. She's does theater, voice overs and she's a playwright. The big roles go to the pretty faces. That's how it works. Not gonna change unless audiences start responded to average looking people. Men have it easier but we are unforgivable when it comes to women who aren't beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    I didn't get any sense that she's complaining or bitching. She's just saying it wasn't fun for her and she admits that she's not an outstanding actress or a great beauty so she doesn't have a desire or a reason to act in film anymore. What's wrong with that? Like she wrote, people don't ask other 5 year olds why they don't finger paint anymore.
    I agree, I don't see anything wrong with what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by fattymatty View Post
    She is working. She's does theater, voice overs and she's a playwright. The big roles go to the pretty faces. That's how it works. Not gonna change unless audiences start responded to average looking people. Men have it easier but we are unforgivable when it comes to women who aren't beautiful.
    And the "pretty faces" struggle to find work after 40-ish whereas the characture actors go on til their 80s/90s.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Why would she need to do that? She's not making movies anymore and the photo accompanies a piece on how she doesn't fit into Hollywood's beauty standards.

The photo looks unpolished. If I do a search for actors headshots, there are plenty of neat photos, regardless of age, weight, or having beauty or not.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    This whole story reminds me of a documentary that has been playing on either HBO or Cinemax lately. I wish I could remember the name, but it's about some hotel in Hollywood that would-be child actors and their parents stay at while trying to get their big break. They have these little kids getting their head shots, and talking to their agents and talking to their parents. And the whole aspirational thing where they have photos on the wall of Alyssa Milano, or some other actor who was marginally less successful and is on some TV show or movie. It was pretty sad.

What is pretty cool about this article, to me, is that Mara Wilson seems to have come through this relatively unscathed and fairly circumspect, and is actually in college studying something and working in something she is really interested in. And she will have her childhood starring role to look back at in a positive way.
    The Hollywood Complex! It's on Netflix and damn, is it super depressing. All those kids and their moms (I don't think a dad was ever seen) and they just keep spending money, money, money on classes, agents, seminars, head shots, etc. etc. and only a tiny tiny fraction will ever do anything.
    This is so sad and pathetic!!
    I Bleed Purple-Baltimore and Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    The photo looks unpolished. If I do a search for actors headshots, there are plenty of neat photos, regardless of age, weight, or having beauty or not.
    Sorry I'm still not getting your point. She's not auditioning, it's a photo accompanying an article about her time in Hollywood. What does that have to do with actors' headshots?
    "...to Malceski, is that the Grand Final? Sydney are Premiers!" D Cometti 29/09/2012

LOOK HOW FRESH MY SUIT IS... NUFF SAID!

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Sorry I'm still not getting your point. She's not auditioning, it's a photo accompanying an article about her time in Hollywood. What does that have to do with actors' headshots?
    I was assuming the current photo is a headshot for a theatrical role. I didn't know it was only for an article.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Not hot enough to be a leading lady? So fucking what. Character actress has more staying power anyway.

The last two comments are why I love GR: Giving bitchy Hollywood types a reality check since 2005. That should be our tagline. Or something similar.
    yesss! put it right up there on the banner next to Marilyn!
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I didn't get any sense that she's complaining or bitching. She's just saying it wasn't fun for her and she admits that she's not an outstanding actress or a great beauty so she doesn't have a desire or a reason to act in film anymore. What's wrong with that? Like she wrote, people don't ask other 5 year olds why they don't finger paint anymore.
    I agree with you i don't have a problem with anything she has said. As another poster pointed out you don't have to be stunning to succeed in Hollywood or in acting - however you have to have the drive and she clearly doesn't.

Nothing wrong with that as she has carved out a pretty good career doing acting in theatre, voice over work and play writing.

Besides she reflects what happens to most child actors. They do not have careers as adults.

For a kid actor, I bet it's not fun at all. Multiple takes, hours in a makeup/hair chair, sometimes standing around doing nothing. I've never seen a behind the scenes with kids involved (at least where they talked about what the kids do during these and other down times between takes) but I think about those poor kids on Toddlers and Tiaras who look and act miserable every other minute of the day except for the two minutes they're on stage. Any type of career that a kid has is really all about their parent IMO. I think some of these parents (too many inn fact) push their kids into this stuff.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    yesss! put it right up there on the banner next to Marilyn!
    Or get rid of Marilyn altogether & get updated?!

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    But movies would be so much better if people like her stayed with acting as opposed to vapid no talents who merely looked hot.
    It's about 'Hollywood' casting the pretty types; there are many talented, more diverse looking actors. They are not seen by the industry as commercially viable. Actors are essentially avatars now.

ShibaJonz

Hit By Ban Bus!

She made a point of stating that others were more talented than she. And acting can be hard work, especially for someone of her level who really isn't raking in the huge pay checks any more. Tony Shaloub pointed out in an interview that he worked sometimes 20 hours a day for months never seeing his family because they lived in NY while he was filming in Canada. Some location shots are isolated and tedious and boring and feel like being trapped somewhere miserable. Green screen is also very sickening. Imagine being in a huge sound stage with everything covered in neon green and doing take after take, waiting for the special effects and lighting to get set up. For Hours. The whole business of acting in films these days is "Hurry up and Wait" That's why Liam Neeson said never again after filming Star Wars. Some people wind up in water tanks all day, running all day, thrown around with pully systems, covered in mud or insects or other gross things. It's not all fun and glamour. It's surprising how hard it can be and how hard many actors do work, Tom Cruise for example, may be a nut but he busts his ass. She is working and going to school so I don't get the snark at her for being realistic either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information