Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Man found dead in Demi Moore’s pool

I grew up a block from the ocean, so from kindergarten swimming lessons were part of the school curriculum. They didn't want any kids drowning, so we had hardcore swimming lessons three times a week from kindergarten to grade 7. No one would get thrown in - it was very safe and structured, but aside from learning the various strokes, we had to tread water fully clothed (including shoes), and learned CPR, rescue breathing, all that.

Because of my upbringing, my daughter was in the pool from when she was a tiny baby. She's a total fish and isn't afraid of the ocean. So much so that I keep trying to drum into her that she does need to have respect for the ocean, because if you're not paying attention you can get into trouble. We have great beach vacations - love it!

As for this boy that drowned - it could have been anything. A former co-worker of mine lost her mother and nephew due to a drowning. It was determined that she must have been walking around the pool while carrying her grandson, had a stroke, fell in the pool and they both drowned. They were found by a neighbour.

That is horrible missbazilb....so sad.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I can swim but the Bloke can't. His mother is quite nervous around water so I guess that he picked up on that as a kid and has sank like a brick ever since. I keep trying to convince him that we should start going to the pool together (even if he doesn't swim the water resistance would be like exercise) but so far he hasn't budged. He's convinced that he'll never be able to swim so refuses to "waste his time"
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I grew up near the water as well, but in semi calm cove. We had waves and tides and undertows but not like the beaches right on the ocean.

My father used go out up to his arm pits, have us stand on his shoulders and jump off...we were right next to him so it wasn't scary, and often he just held one hand as we went under, touched bottom and kicked off back to the surface.

We were introduced so young I don't feel like I learned to swim, it's just something you do, like walking.

And to whom posted above thread and said they were afraid when they went snorkeling? I have never gone snorkeling without a life jacket...were you wearing one?

A*O

Gross story alert.

I went snorkelling in a tropical Pacific paradise with a small group of people. One woman was clearly nervous around water but she set that aside and came with us. As soon as she got into the (very calm and clear) water she got very seasick! I couldn't believe it. She brought up her apparently large breakfast - ew - and got back in the boat where she continued to puke long and loud into a bucket. Meanwhile we had a fantastic few of the hundreds of fish feasting on her breakfast....
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    I grew up near the water as well, but in semi calm cove. We had waves and tides and undertows but not like the beaches right on the ocean.

My father used go out up to his arm pits, have us stand on his shoulders and jump off...we were right next to him so it wasn't scary, and often he just held one hand as we went under, touched bottom and kicked off back to the surface.

We were introduced so young I don't feel like I learned to swim, it's just something you do, like walking.

And to whom posted above thread and said they were afraid when they went snorkeling? I have never gone snorkeling without a life jacket...were you wearing one?
    I think so. I know I strapped on every floating contraption available, I was not messing with the Pacific Ocean. But I had no control, the waves kept slapping me in the face without giving me a chance to breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post

As for this boy that drowned - it could have been anything. A former co-worker of mine lost her mother and nephew due to a drowning. It was determined that she must have been walking around the pool while carrying her grandson, had a stroke, fell in the pool and they both drowned. They were found by a neighbour.
    God how horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Gross story alert.

I went snorkelling in a tropical Pacific paradise with a small group of people. One woman was clearly nervous around water but she set that aside and came with us. As soon as she got into the (very calm and clear) water she got very seasick! I couldn't believe it. She brought up her apparently large breakfast - ew - and got back in the boat where she continued to puke long and loud into a bucket. Meanwhile we had a fantastic few of the hundreds of fish feasting on her breakfast....
    Chumming the water!
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; July 21st, 2015 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Gross story alert.

This happened to me in St. John except I barfed, warned everyone to avoid that spot, and kept going. What can I say - I'm a trooper!
    stef and spinmonkey like this.

So, how much chlorine does it take to clean up after this? Those pool guys better get a big tip.
    Trixie and sluce like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    RIP but how can you not swim at 21? It is an essential life skill.

Is the story meant to imply that Demi's staff were holding a party while she was away? It's a bit fishy.
    I can't swim & I'm more than twice his age. I almost drowned as a child & start gasping for air when water is above my chest level.

I too was taught to swim before I can remember. We had a pool and my mom wasn't fucking around. It comes so naturally that some people just can't understand why it seems so hard for others to get.
    greysfang likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

A*O

Everyone and anyone can swim, the major hindrance to learning is fear, or rather not being sufficiently relaxed in and around water. If you are calm and comfortable you will breathe more naturally which in turn will relax you. My sister nearly drowned as a child and of course she was terrified of even going near water afterwards. She's not 100% comfortable now but she did learn to swim at least well enough to move through the water with a stately breaststroke. Even now she avoids getting her head wet at all costs. The turning point for her was a hot summer aged about 5 which she spent sitting in a big plastic laundry tub full of weather just splashing around and experimenting with the feel of being almost submerged in water. She had to wedge herself in so there was zero risk of going deeper than her armpits so she was completely safe. It did the trick in helping her overcome the fear and after that we moved on to things like apple bobbing where you float apples in the water and try to grab them with your teeth and you learn to hold your breath with your mouth open and put your face very near or in the water. After that we put heavier things into the water which sank and then you had to plunge your whole head/shoulders under the water to grab them. Over that summer she learned to overcome her fear while having fun and she quickly learned to swim too. She's still wary and probably always will be and she certainly wouldn't choose to swim for exercise, but she can do it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Nothing like swimming in cool,clear emerald or blue Greek seas..I have developed a fear since my last heart attack that i ll die in the sea because my heart wont stand the cold water.Every day there are reports of aged folks being fished belly up.Doctor says there is a risk but if i get into the water gradually it will be fine..My summer house is on top of a cliff and there is a beautiful almost private beach under..i get such a longing to go down and float in that crystal clear water..I used to swim hours every day every summer...
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Effie - I grew up with a house at the beach, and a pool in my yard. My daughter has grown up the same. My mother was a fish and loved the ocean until 10 years ago. She was in the ocean with my sister and nieces, said she was feeling tired and started to walk out of the ocean to the beach. My sister saw a wave hit her, she went down and didn't come back up. Two teen boys pulled her from the water. The lifeguards at Cape May were amazing and had just gotten their first defibrillator, and were able to get her heart started again. She had suffered sudden cardiac arrest.

By the time I drove the two hours to the hospital they said her heart was doing fine, but feared we would lose her because of the amount of ocean water in her lungs. She pulled through, has an implanted pace maker/defibrillator in her chest, and was terrified of going back in the water. This year her doctor told her she was being foolish, the swim would be good for her, and the water did not cause the cardiac arrest. It has been so great to see her back in the water this summer. She doesn't go as deep as she once did, but that is due to a fear of sharks! LOL

Get in the water, go slow, and enjoy that amazing sensation of being connected to the vast ocean. I can watch the ocean for hours, any season of the year, and be completely in awe of the power and tranquility. It's my happy place.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

For anyone who can't swim, at least learn how to float. Start in water shallow enough to sit up in, lean back, RELAX, straighten out the body and spread your arms and legs like a starfish. Don't bend at the hips. If you start to panic, you can just sit up. Try it again until you can just bob along. No energy or skill required.
    czb, Kittylady and sputnik like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information