Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Man found dead in Demi Moore’s pool

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    Add me to the list, 47 and I don't know how to swim either; when I was in elementary school, they took us to the public swimming pools for lessons. I was scared to jump in, and had to pee as well, and told the instructor. Her reaction was to push me into the pool. I've been scared to try to swim ever since.
    Yeah, I had swimming lessons way back when I was about 9 and terribly skinny, so skinny that with floaters I'd almost lay on top of the water instead of in it. One instructer thought I was doing it on purpose and pushed and held me under water for what seemed forever, but was probably only a few seconds. That didn't help my fear of water. Later I had a better instructor and even dared to jump (not dive) from the high board and swim without floaters in the deep end. Then I got an allergy from the chloride in the water and after that I never really swam again, so I'm guessing I can't really swim anymore. I avoid water as much as possible and whenever we're visiting relatives with pools I always use floaters, I don't care, I don't want to drown.

Last edited by HWBL; July 19th, 2015 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I'm a fairly decent swimmer, but I wouldn't call myself a "strong" swimmer. Like I know how to swim & tread water & how to get to to my back to float if I got tired of treading water, but I've been caught in a current in a river that sucked
    me back under twice (luckily each time I was able to catch a gulp of air when I reached the surface before it pulled me under again) & thankfully the second time, as I was getting sucked back down someone saw me & grabbed my hand & pulled me back up as I was going under again. I can't even imagine how badly that could have ended if I hadn't been able to get a breath or if I had panicked, or if no one had helped me. Water is no joke. If you plan to ever be even close to it, at least know how to dog paddle.

my 5000th post! At least it wasn't in a Kardashian thread, lol
    rollo, HWBL, czb and 6 others like this.

The only person i know who cant swim is my youngest,s partner.He is from Sparta...lol.We all learn how to swim here,in the sea of course.Parents teach ,kids learn very early.Mine are dolphins..I miss swimming so much..i might try later this summer.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    You and I must have had the same instructor! I had to wear these stupid floatation things around my upper arms and when he decided I knew how to swim he made me take them off and then pushed me in the water. I sank like a rock and he had to jump in to rescue me and then yelled at me and berated me "for refusing to swim". That put any end to any further swimming attempts on my part and I am still traumatized.
    Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Yeah, I had swimming lessons way back when I was about 9 and terribly skinny, so skinny that with floaters I'd almost lay on top of the water instead of in it. One instructer thought I was doing it on purpose and pushed and held me under water for what seemed forever, but was probably only a few seconds. That didn't help my fear of water. Later I had a better instructor and even dared to jump (not dive) from the high board and swim without floaters in the deep end. Then I got an allergy from the chloride in the water and after that I never really swam again, so I'm guessing I can't really swim anymore. I avoid water as much as possible and whenever we're visiting relatives with pools I always use floaters, I don't care, I don't want to drown.

I didn't even have floaters, and prior to that, I don't think I'd ever even been in a swimming pool, much less ever tried to swim. I will get in a pool now, and I *know* what I should do as far as moving my arms/kicking my feet, it's just the fear of going for it, even if it's in the shallow end of a pool.

A*O

This guy might have knocked his head on his way into the water, or had some kind of seizure so being a non-swimmer is moot. I going to wait for the post mortem. I love being on, in and under the water and was taught by my dear daddy who did indeed throw me in the pool saying "sink or swim". He was a very good swimmer and would have fished me out if i did in fact sink but it was a pretty brutal lesson. One of many he favoured.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

You all need to take swim lessons!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate the "throw them in and see what happens" method but damnit everyone needs to know how to swim.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Jesus people! Get a grip, it's just water/swimming.

i'm another one that leant to swim in the sea, too, Effie, took my feet off the bottom to see what would happen. Suddenly I was swimming... Go figure!
    Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post

Wtf is that? Waterborne amoeba?
    dexter7 and twitchy2.0 like this.
    Free Charmed.

I'm curious to hear where Demi and those youngest two daughters of hers were when this party was taking place. They live there and are staying there right now, but weren't giving the party? Maybe, but it sounds like they're trying to distance themselves.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Jesus people! Get a grip, it's just water/swimming.

Wtf is that? Waterborne amoeba?
    Water noodles!

A*O

It's never too late to learn to swim. You don't have to be the next Michael Phelps, just learn to relax and stay afloat. It could save your life and maybe even someone else's too.
    holly, Clubber Lang, Nevan and 3 others like this.
    Dame Edna Everage

We had a pool when I was a kid. We also went to the beach several times a year, and there was a river behind my house. I had to learn how to swim or it would have severely limited my fun with friends. Summers on the east coast were spent on and in the water. Even the nasty Chesapeake.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    Add me to the list, 47 and I don't know how to swim either; when I was in elementary school, they took us to the public swimming pools for lessons. I was scared to jump in, and had to pee as well, and told the instructor. Her reaction was to push me into the pool. I've been scared to try to swim ever since.
    this is how they taught swimming when i was a kid. i grew up in a beach community and learned to swim at an early age. i wanted my daughters to learn to swim early, too, so i took them for swim lessons as toddlers. the way they teach now is the opposite of the way i was taught as a child. they make it fun and instructional.

i would encourage everyone to learn to swim. it's a great life skill.

nov, yeah, it's only water but people who don't know how to swim get so terrified around pools and the ocean. it's a fear that you can take charge of with some work.
    holly and Clubber Lang like this.

I grew up near the water too, my grandparents had a lake cabin, and I live within steps of a Great Lake now. I might not make it in the middle of an ocean or Lake Michigan without a floatation device but I could definitely keep myself afloat to get to the edge of a swimming pool. Unless I was extremely impaired, injured or unconscious. Or had concrete in my pockets.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

A*O

I used to teach adults to swim and by far the biggest hindrance is their fear. It can be very tough to overcome but once they learn to relax they quickly discover that they won't sink like a rock. Fat or thin you will float if you can remain calm.
    czb, Clubber Lang and sputnik like this.
    Dame Edna Everage

When I was in my 20s we were at a bbq pool party hanging out in the yard. I was sitting on the edge of the pool next to my best friend with our feet dangling in. A guy pushed a girl in and she sank like a stone, feet first, all the way down- like 9 ft. She never even tried to make a stroke. We jumped in and pulled her out. She had no idea how to swim and literally froze in fear when she hit that water.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information