Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Madonna's Advice to Kids About Drugs

^^^
    yup. i know people like that. they have no moral qualms about drugs, they just genuinely don't like them.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^I'm one of those people. I'm too neurotic to sit and allow myself to lose control of my mind, it's too unsettling a feeling. Very very rarely can I smoke and actually have a nice time.

I'm kind of one of those people. I've tried pretty much every drug and I don't really like them. I encourage my SO to smoke pot because he needs to relax and shut his fucking brain off some nights.

I have enjoyed a benzo or a pain killer on occasion, to help knock me out at night
    sputnik and czb like this.

Well you can tell them and warn them of the dangers, but they will do what they want and doesn't matter if you control the purse strings or not. Not hard to get them, they are everywhere. You just got to trust that they will make the right choices. And it's fucking awful. Welcome to parenthood! Pray that they bury you and not you bury them.
    czb, rollo, sluce and 1 others like this.

^^^^
    this.
    it's funny how as adults all we want is to give other adults the tools to make informed choices. but the same doesn't seem to apply to kids and a lot of people delude themselves into thinking that if they don't tell their kids something, they won't find out about it and they'll manage to keep them safe from all the dangers of the world.
    darksithbunny likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I'm kind of one of those people. I've tried pretty much every drug and I don't really like them. I encourage my SO to smoke pot because he needs to relax and shut his fucking brain off some nights.

I have enjoyed a benzo or a pain killer on occasion, to help knock me out at night
    I tried and done almost everything. Did lots of certain things more than others. When it comes to pain killers, I just don't get it. They make me sleepy. People take them to party. I was prescribed 15 Xanax for my over seas trip because I get nervous and don't sleep on long haul flights. 13 remains in the cabinet.
    I don't like drugs anymore because I've been there, done that.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    ^I'm one of those people. I'm too neurotic to sit and allow myself to lose control of my mind, it's too unsettling a feeling. Very very rarely can I smoke and actually have a nice time.
    That's too bad, cuz it rocks. Especially a little alcohol with some pot. It rocks, and if you are able to make it to work the next day, all the better. Its when you can no longer make it to work the next morning on time when you need to quit.
    I'll bet Goopy is steam cleaning the fuck out of that vagina!-MsDark

The next day? Amateurs. I've been known to get high before work or at lunch. I'm in a creative position, so it's not a hindrance to be a little stoned. Probably not a good idea for a CPA or a dentist.........
    crayzeehappee and Mrs P like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    The next day? Amateurs. I've been known to get high before work or at lunch. I'm in a creative position, so it's not a hindrance to be a little stoned. Probably not a good idea for a CPA or a dentist.........
    You rock. So wish I could get high the same day I have to work.
    I'll bet Goopy is steam cleaning the fuck out of that vagina!-MsDark

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i'd rather send a kid off to college with some street skills and experience and not a sheltered polyanna who'll either go crazy from the sudden freedom and lack of supervision, or get taken advantage of. or both.
    It's a balancing act. It can go the other way where parents let their kids do whatever and w/o boundaries, those kids go off the rails. I remember an interview with RDJ where he talked about his bohemian childhood. Lots of pot and parties swirling around the house, parents were loving but let him do as he pleased. Obviously, we saw how that worked out.

Then like Darksith said, you do what you can but in the end, you can't really control what happens.

Children do need boundaries. It's part of a parents job, some don't do that because they want to be their kids friend or just because its easier, but i feel that's an enormous mistake. You can be your children's friend but you still have to be the parent first. That means you have to be the bad guy sometimes, but that's part of the job.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

As one who said they need to understanding their limits before college, I did not turn my head to underage drinking. I would never allow the kids to drink in my house when my daughter was in high school, but some other parents did. I would never buy her alcohol, but some parents did. We talked about the dangers, especially since her father died from alcoholism, and I reminded her it came with consequences. We had ground rules and she knew if she ever got in trouble, or came home drunk, she would be in trouble with me. The most important rule was/is that she could call me at any hour if they had been drinking and needed a ride. But there was an unspoken understanding that I knew she was drinking at parties. Often she would tell me stories of how drunk someone else was, and how they made an ass of themselves. That opened the door to conversations of how there is no reason to get that drunk, and how you can pay attention to your body to learn when you have had enough. I know she smoked pot a few times in high school. But, she is an athlete at college, and subject to random drug tests, so I know she doesn't do any illegal substances.

When she got to college she watched as many of her new friends had a hard time adjusting to suddenly having freedom. They would get black out drunk every time they went out. They missed classes because they were so hung over. A few kids in her dorm had to be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning. I am not na´ve and know my kid has probably gotten black out in her life, and probably has made an ass of herself at some point. But because it was not some new exciting part of her life, she was better prepared to handle it once she was on her own and I was not there to keep her safe.
    sputnik likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

You're realistic, thoughtful and intelligent in your parenting. It's the best a parent can do for their kids.
    czb and Mrs P like this.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I've been known to leave at lunch and smoke because if not I would have lost my shit. I'd come back with a new attitude.
    sluce and Mrs P like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I hear you babe. Sometimes it's the only thing that stops me from killing a coworker with an exacto knife or pinking shears

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information