Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Madonna loves British chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    We have all those in Canada. I don't get the hype over them, frankly.
    The chocolate is different. Doesn't taste the same. There's also a difference between the taste of Canadian chocolate and American chocolate. No idea why though. One of my friends in the US sent me a gift with chocolates, my bf took one bite of the chocolate and spit it out thinking it had gone bad.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Cadbury fruit and nut.....*sigh* Cadbury dream (white chocolate) is good too.

American chocolate has a much higher wax content. That is the difference. It is much less creamy.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

I do love the chocolate we have here. I think Belgian chocolates are the best though. I've tasted some chocolate from the US and it wasn't good. Might have just been the ones I tried though.

A*O

Boring Stuff. I used to work for the Mars Confectionary Co in the UK so I know a bit about this.
    The reason European and American chocolate taste "different" is because they not only use different recipes, but also they use cocoa beans from different sources.
    European chocolate usually comes from West Africa (Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria) and American chocolate is from South America (Brazil). West African (European) cocoa is usually higher quality, more expensive and tastes better, while American (South American) cocoa just doesn't quite meet the same standard.
    As a European I find American chocolate has that cheap 'dusty' flavour but it all depends on what you grew up with. All I know is that the Swiss and Belgian chocolatiers won't touch South American cocoa with a 20ft pole.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I like Maltesers, but I never cared for Cadbury. It never tasted chocolatey enough to me-when I lived in the UK, I'd make my dad send me chocolates from Germany.

My favorite chocolates are Lindt, Frey and Godiva.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Hit By Ban Bus!

I love Cadbury Crunchie bars. When I was little, my relatives in England would send me Cadbury stockings for Christmas. Those were my favorite.

IMO, British chocolate is better than our Canadian chocolate. I also prefer British ice cream and British potatoes!

It all depends who makes it, no matter what country has it.

I was wondering if you all like Godiva chocolates? That is one of the best in US,according to friends here. Martha Stewart is in agreement with most of you,too. In her recipes & show ,she always warns to get the GOOD European chocolate. Used to be hard to find,getting easier.
    2 side notes-I put my Mom's recipe for Kuhlua Cake on here a good while ago-now Neiman Marcus is offering that cake for $50!
    and I can't believe I am in this thread since chocolate can actually kill me! Even the smell gags me!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^ Yeah, Godiva is good.

I am a total sucker for those Ferrero Rochers. Costco sells these boxes of two levels/stacks of them for $9.99. Fucking Costco! And Kitkats. LOOOVE the kitkats!

Bronze Member

I don't mind Cadbury's products, but I much prefer the taste of Rowntree's and Mars chocolate. A solid Yorkie bar - yum!

When I worked in the Neiman Marcus Epicure department for Christmas one year, I asked my boss what she thought the best American chocolates were. She said Joseph Schmidt by far. God that was a good gig. A 30 percent discount at Neimans, 2 days where we got 40 percent off and we got to hand out samples of the goods to customers all day. Godiva would send huge boxes of sample chocolates and we also got to cut up and sample the liquor cakes like Vodka Lemon Cake. I think I was on an alcohol and sugar high all day.
    https://www.artisanconfection.com/st...ph_schmidt.asp

Quote Originally Posted by dakodas View Post
    When I worked in the Neiman Marcus Epicure department for Christmas one year, I asked my boss what she thought the best American chocolates were. She said Joseph Schmidt by far. God that was a good gig. A 30 percent discount at Neimans, 2 days where we got 40 percent off and we got to hand out samples of the goods to customers all day. Godiva would send huge boxes of sample chocolates and we also got to cut up and sample the liquor cakes like Vodka Lemon Cake. I think I was on an alcohol and sugar high all day.
    Nooo! What a fab job!!! I had not heard of Joseph Schmidt and I thank you for that! So will my chocolate loving family.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by dakodas View Post
    Sounds like my vision of heaven!
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

smf

omg i love chocolate ,just got done eating dark chocolate snickers bar ,glad idk what the european chocolate taste like cas i would spend to much money having mailed to me here in u.s

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information