Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree524Likes

Thread: Mackenzie Phillips: My family shunned me over incest reveal

Elite Member

I have a friend whose sister's abuse reminds me of Mackenzies by the time she was a teenager to protect her younger sister and brother she would let her father do things in exchagne for drugs, they were an escape. She has struggled with addiction since then. She's still his victim it's sick to me to say at 9 or 19 anyone consents to se with their father. Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Brookie, how awful for your mom. I'm sorry to hear this.
    Thanks, BITTER. Much appreciated.

My mom told me once how, shortly after I was born, that she BEGGED my father to never do that to me. (he didn't) How awful that must have been to live with. For anyone.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

^^^Bless her for looking out for you...
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Yeah. She woulda been 98 yesterday.

I had several high school friends tell me that they'd been molested by family members. I never would have guessed; they were fairly unassuming and shy. Horrid to live with.
    Wisher2, BITTER and Waterslide like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

The reverend of our old neighborhood African Methodist church allegedly molested his own daughter for years. It must have affected her because she was always a little off. Poor thing. Some people have no right to be parents. No right at all. I myself am a survivor of child sexual abuse, which is bad enough, but when it is a family member, that could your sense of boundaries, of what is right and wrong...for some people, not everybody.
    Wisher2, Brookie, Laurent and 4 others like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Disgusting. Both should have been locked away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    About Joyce Meyer? Yep. And her mom did NOTHING.
    In each of the situations to which I referred in my post the non-offending parent did nothing. In the case of the 5 siblings the victims also contracted an STD from their abuser. At no time were any of these cases reported to the authorities and the parents stayed together. I cannot comprehend this at all.
    Bluebonnet and Mrs P like this.

Bronze Member

Mind boggling! ^^^
    sprynkles likes this.
    I'm Wisher, new & improved version.

The really strange thing (to me, anyway) is that in instance with the multiple victims within one family, each of them maintained a "good" relationship with their abuser and held their non-abusing parent in contempt. I understand the latter situation as a child would look to the non-abusing parent for help and when none is given I can only imagine the child's despair and devastation, but I don't understand the former. They defended the abuser regularly until his death and it is beyond my comprehension. Only one of the victims saw a therapist for help and she was certainly the healthiest of the bunch.
    Obviously, in situations involving incest the pathology is exceptionally complicated.
    Wisher2 likes this.

In cases of incest, the molester is a manipulator who convinces the victim that nothing is wrong. And if they tell or complain, they aren't being "loyal" to the family. It's pure evil. Which I why I believe child molesters should be put to death. Shot on the spot. Right in the groin so the sorry ass piece of shit can bleed to death in horrible pain.

I was never molested by I've known people who were and the damage it does is sad. Some had therapy, some didn't but it makes me sick. It affects their lives in so many ways.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    I'm convinced that incest is so pervasive in society that it would appall any thinking human being if they suspected it. During the course of a two week period I found out that 8 women I know were victims of incest. There were 5 siblings in one family who were raped repeatedly by their father over many years. Yesterday, I found out about two more people who were also victims of the same crime. I can't even begin to imagine how many other people I know are victims of the same horrific abuse and are too scared or ashamed to come forward. And I don't have a large circle of friends. The percentage of children who are victims of this crime must be astronomically high. What the hell is wrong with people?!
    My mother was molested by her grandfather when she was a child. I don't know the details - she kind of mentioned it in passing, and neither one of us has ever been comfortable talking about it (though I would, if she wanted to.) I think she brought it up as wanting me to be aware of my surroundings, and to know that if something had happened to me, it was ok to tell her. My mom's parents were wonderful people and I don't think she ever told them about it.

My folks got married young, and in a hurry, and I know there were wagging tongues about them "having" to get married. But I was born 9 years later. And pretty much 9 months to the day after the molester died. I don't think she felt comfortable bringing a child into the world until he was out of it. Some people just do evil, evil things.
    Brookie, Mrs P, Wisher2 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    My mother was molested by her grandfather when she was a child. I don't know the details - she kind of mentioned it in passing, and neither one of us has ever been comfortable talking about it (though I would, if she wanted to.) I think she brought it up as wanting me to be aware of my surroundings, and to know that if something had happened to me, it was ok to tell her. My mom's parents were wonderful people and I don't think she ever told them about it.

My folks got married young, and in a hurry, and I know there were wagging tongues about them "having" to get married. But I was born 9 years later. And pretty much 9 months to the day after the molester died. I don't think she felt comfortable bringing a child into the world until he was out of it. Some people just do evil, evil things.
    Your poor mom. My heart goes out to her. I absolutely believe that she waited until it was safe to have you.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I want to know why? Why are they doing it? What is going on in the minds of parents (mostly men) who do this to their own, or any children. Just WTF???
    I can't help but think that part of the reason it happens is because children are viewed as property rather than as human beings.

I can't help but think that part of the reason it happens is because children are viewed as property rather than as human beings.
    And anyone who views anther person as property is an abuser. Whether is be emotional or physical (beatings), or something as heinous as incest.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Your poor mom. My heart goes out to her. I absolutely believe that she waited until it was safe to have you.
    Thanks. I think so too. I think she was also incredibly lucky to have my dad (they started "going together" in 8th grade, now married almost 50 years, and they still adore each other) - so many victims don't know how to have healthy relationships because their early interactions were so messed up. I come from the most normal family you can imagine, and still there was this dark chapter in the past. It makes you wonder just how common this stuff is, which is really depressing.
    Wisher2, sparkles and Honeythorn like this.

So Michelle Phillips was more pissed not because she thought that Mackenzie was lying or airing dirty family laundry for notoriety, but that the revelations would keep her from cashing in on the legacy of the Mamas and Papas? That is so odious. Did she do anything in the group other than shake a tambourine and be passably pretty?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information