Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: Luke Perry Suffers 'Massive Stroke', Currently Hospitalized

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    My cousin had a massive stroke at 52. He was a health nut who took great pride in his body and was really vain about his appearance. He laid on the floor in his house for 2 days before his mother and sister found him. He has recovered somewhat, but has seizures and pain along with slurred speech.
    Yeah, time is of the essence. I posted somewhere else about the massive cerebral infarction my aunt had at our home. Because everything worked in her favor, time wise, she - aged 77 at the time, so May 29th it'll be 10 years already - came away from it with only less stamina and lifelong medication.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    in Germany, that drug is called "Lyse", it dissolves the blood clot in the brain. But it is not without risks. Also - in the case of my father, it worked, the clot got smaller, until it was just small enough that he survived the stroke - paralyzed and severely disabled, doctors called him "a victim of modern medicine".
    I'm so sorry that he was left worse off than if he hadn't had the drug.
    Lofty Bike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    He's just about five years older than me (which is scary) and I'm just gobsmacked about this. 90210 was the show of my generation and Dylan was my favorite. Isn't there a drug that if they get to the patient in time, it can reverse most of the stroke symptoms (I can't remember the name)? Or is a massive stroke too far gone for that?
    Depends on what kind of stroke and how soon after the onset of symptoms.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

So I saw that he had back surgery before this and that might have been the reason for it happening. I can't remember where I read that, though.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Lalasnake View Post
    ShimmeringGlow that is horrifying! I hope your cousin continues to recover and his pain eases.
    Aww...thank you. He's recovering, but you can see him struggling to find the right words. He calls girls "boys" and boys "girls". His seizures are awful and he has to go the hospital several times a year. He still drives, but his family refuse to ride with him. I think his license should be revoked. He got lost coming to my house.
    Nevan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    So I saw that he had back surgery before this and that might have been the reason for it happening. I can't remember where I read that, though.
    If that's true, that could be a factor. Bill Paxton died of a stroke after having heart valve and aorta surgery.
    Waterslide, weathered1 and cheray like this.

^^^ Bam! That hit hard ... I had completely blocked Bill Paxton dying out of my memory. I still can't believe it. He was okay to me ... until Big Love aired. I fell in love with him and the character he played on that show. Very, very well written show. I miss him.

I'm worried that we've heard virtually nothing for a few days now. You'd think we would have heard he was sitting up and talking or something by now. I saw a few places mention that he was on life support but someone would always come out and refute that by saying he was just sedated. Nothing good comes after the word "massive" in the medical world. :-(
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

That story about him having back issues and surgery was originally from Radar (I probably read it at dlisted), so who knows? When I googled it though, there really are no updates as of a couple of hours ago.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^^^ I find that really odd.
    Waterslide likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Me too.

I didn't realize this: "Thirty-two thousand neurons die each second, so every second counts in stroke recovery," says Hanna. "Stroke itself is fifth-leading cause of death in the U.S. Should we be concerned? Not on a day-to-day basis. But always understand these are my risk factors or my medical problems. "Hanna is reminding people of the risk factors behind a stroke. There are some that cannot be controlled, like age and genetics, and others that can be helped -- like high blood pressure, cardiac disease, diabetes and high cholesterol.
    My BP has been creeping up despite daily exercise and a pretty good diet, and I sure won't be resistant to meds if the doc thinks they are necessary.

As actor Luke Perry continues to recover from a massive stroke, fans across the country are learning more about his medical condition.

Perry's medical episode at 52 years old shocked many, but it did not surprise the head of the Stroke Center at Overlook Medical Center in Summit, Dr. John Hanna.

Hanna is reminding people of the risk factors behind a stroke. There are some that cannot be controlled, like age and genetics, and others that can be helped -- like high blood pressure, cardiac disease, diabetes and high cholesterol.

As for symptoms, Hanna says to remember FAST: face drooping, arm weakness, slurred speech and time. He says the faster a person gets to an emergency room or stroke center, the better for chances of recovery.

"Thirty-two thousand neurons die each second, so every second counts in stroke recovery," says Hanna. "Stroke itself is fifth-leading cause of death in the U.S. Should we be concerned? Not on a day-to-day basis. But always understand these are my risk factors or my medical problems."

Doctors say race and gender also play a role in risk factors for stroke. African-Americans are more likely to have strokes, while men tend to suffer strokes at younger ages. They are also more common in older women, but that is mostly because women tend to have longer life expectancy.
    Actor Luke Perry's stroke puts spotlight on symptoms, treatment
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

The hospital in my area has a mobile stroke unit and I see it from time to time and it freaks me out every time. I can kid myself when I see a "normal" ambulance that it may not be that serious.

And having spent an inordinate amount of time in hospitals the last couple of years where I'm neither working nor a patient, it's amazing how many times a day stroke codes get called.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    The hospital in my area has a mobile stroke unit and I see it from time to time and it freaks me out every time. I can kid myself when I see a "normal" ambulance that it may not be that serious.

And having spent an inordinate amount of time in hospitals the last couple of years where I'm neither working nor a patient, it's amazing how many times a day stroke codes get called.
    Yep, it's scary for sure. Especially considering he is relatively young. The Susan Lucci close call is scary to me too, even though she is a lot older.
    Waterslide likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Does anyone remember that ER episode with Cynthia Nixon where she had a stroke at 35? They told it from her perspective and it was a huge eye-opener for me. I remember not being able to sleep for several nights because I couldn't get it out of my head.

Shitty video quality.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnYgO01r9LE
    Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhfftmuXnzE
    Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdSJkPx6N8g

Yep, I remember that episode. It was suffocating because IIRC the episode is shown from her POV and she was completely lucid the whole time, but couldn't figure out what was going on around her and her face collapsed.
    weathered1 likes this.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information