Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree874Likes

Thread: Love 'em or hate 'em: the Harry & Meghan megathread

Good! I wonder how the Mail will respond to this..
    Kittylady likes this.

They filed a lawsuit over the letter her father released.

This is big...From Sussex Household: “Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Sussex has filed a claim against Associated Newspapers over the misuse of private information, infringement of copyright and breach of the Data Protection Act 2018.”

Schillings who are representing Harry & Meghan:“We have initiated legal proceedings against the Mail on Sunday, and its parent company Associated Newspapers, over the intrusive and unlawful publication of a private letter written by the Duchess of Sussex

Schillings says the letter which Meghan wrote to her father is: ‘part of a campaign by this media group to publish false and deliberately derogatory stories about her, as well as her husband.’

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...00031468609537

Piers Morgan isn't happy about this. Shock! lol

From @piersmorgan - 'I've never read a more savage attack on the press than this one by Harry/Meghan. Nor a more disingenuous one. They've had the praise & criticism their behaviour has warranted. They talk of bullying but this is their attempt to bully the press into fawning sycophancy.'

Meghan sues Mail on Sunday as Harry launches attack on tabloid press

Prince compares wife’s treatment to Diana’s as proceedings over private letter are announced

Jim Waterson Media editor
    Tue 1 Oct 2019 19.40 BSTLast modified on Tue 1 Oct 2019 20.38 BST

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex is currently on a tour in South Africa. Photograph: REX/ShutterstockMeghan, Duchess of Sussex has taken the unusual decision to sue the publisher of the Mail on Sunday after the newspaper published a handwritten letter she had sent to her estranged father.

The decision came as Prince Harry launched an extraordinary and highly personal attack on the British tabloid press and its treatment of his wife, saying he could no longer be a “silent witness to her private suffering”.

Emphasising his respect for the importance of “objective, truthful reporting”, he accused parts of the media of “waging campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences”, and compared the treatment of Meghan to coverage of his mother.

Referring to the treatment of Princess Diana, the duke said his “deepest fear is history repeating itself”. And he wrote: “There comes a point when the only thing to do is to stand up to this behaviour, because it destroys people and destroys lives. Put simply, it is bullying, which scares and silences people. We all know this isn’t acceptable, at any level. We won’t and can’t believe in a world where there is no accountability for this.

“Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one … I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person.”

The Sun breached guidelines with Harry and Meghan story.

The statement, issued on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s official website on Tuesday, was published as Meghan moved to start proceedings in the high court over the misuse of private information, infringement of copyright and breach of GDPR regulations.
    The Guardian reported this year that the Mail on Sunday was being threatened with legal action because the authors of letters retain ownership of the copyright even after the physical correspondence is in the possession of another individual. Pursuing legal action on this narrow basis also gives the royals a greater chance of success against Associated Newspapers, which also owns the Daily Mail and MailOnline – both of which have run a substantial number of stories about Meghan.

The Mail on Sunday has run multiple embarrassing stories involving the duchess’s father, Thomas Markle, including staged paparazzi photographs of him visiting an internet cafe to read about his daughter’s engagement to the prince.
    However, the royals have limited ability to stop the publication of such stories, prompting the decision to focus on the publication of Meghan’s letter to her father.

The newspaper has stood by its decision to publish photos of the letter, which remain available on MailOnline.
    Meghan and Harry, who are on a tour in South Africa, have employed the libel lawyers Schillings using private funds to bring the case.

In his statement, Harry emphasised that he and Meghan believed in “media freedom and objective, truthful reporting” as a “cornerstone of democracy”.
    “There is a human cost to this relentless propaganda, specifically when it is knowingly false and malicious, and though we have continued to put on a brave face – as so many of you can relate to – I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been.

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you

“Because in today’s digital age, press fabrications are repurposed as truth across the globe. One day’s coverage is no longer tomorrow’s chip-paper.”
    And he added: “I have been a silent witness to her private suffering for too long. To stand back and do nothing would be contrary to everything we believe in.”
    A legal spokesperson for Schillings said: “We have initiated legal proceedings against the Mail on Sunday, and its parent company Associated Newspapers, over the intrusive and unlawful publication of a private letter written by the Duchess of Sussex, which is part of a campaign by this media group to publish false and deliberately derogatory stories about her, as well as her husband.
    “Given the refusal of Associated Newspapers to resolve this issue satisfactorily, we have issued proceedings to redress this breach of privacy, infringement of copyright and the aforementioned media agenda.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-to-her-father
    HWBL likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I'm curious to see the unedited letter, because I'm nosy like that, but I doubt we ever will see it, and it wasn't meant to be public, so....

Good for them for suing!

Their South African trip has been a smashing success so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadestone View Post
    I'm curious to see the unedited letter, because I'm nosy like that, but I doubt we ever will see it, and it wasn't meant to be public, so....

Good for them for suing!

Their South African trip has been a smashing success so far.
    its all over the internet

The UK tabloid press are going to go crazy writing every nasty negative article about Harry and Meghan. They went crazy after Harry wrote his first statement about the treatment of Meghan.

This will be some serious fuckery over the next few weeks!

When you came in the air went out. And every shadow filled up with doubt. I don't know who you think you are, But before the night is through,I wanna do bad things with you.

The DM has a story right now blaming Harry and Meghan for Range Rovers being shipped to South Africa for their trip, like they personally ordered them shipped. CNN said that details of Meghan's appearances are being kept quiet beforehand because of security concerns. I bet the vehicles are specially equipped and are probably part of the safety precautions needed. I want to see if they'll be used on W&K's upcoming tour of Pakistan. Let's see what kind of security precautions they take. I bet you won't hear one word about it.

Just like you don't hear one work about W or K flying private. I've never understood the vilification that Meghan has received from the press. Yeah, her belly cupping was annoying, but it's hardly the worst thing a person could do.

It's not wonder she has zero contact with her dad or sister. Next news story will be Samantha saying they only agreed to let the letter be published because it was a cry to get Meghan to introduce Archie to them.

Why are they suing? Didn't Thomas provide the letter to the publications?
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by emkat View Post
    Why are they suing? Didn't Thomas provide the letter to the publications?
    It's mentioned upthread - the author of a letter retains the copyright even after the letter has been sent to someone else. By publishing it the MoS has infringed on copyright. It doesn't matter how they got it, they broke copyright law as soon as they published it. I don't think Thomas can be sued for selling it and suing a parent would look a lot worse than suing an organisation that has consistently baited both Harry and Meghan and the general public.
    emkat and weathered1 like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    its all over the internet
    The Mail on Sunday said it was the full letter when they published it, but Harry claims they edited it to make it look worse. Looking at the original Mail article, they do not show all five of the handwritten pages, and only the beginning is shown handwritten. Some of the quotes have ellipses in the middle, so it seems that they did edit out parts. Every other article that reports on the Mail article shows even less. I have not found a source other than Mail on Sunday which claims to show the entire, unedited letter.
    wife: Why is your back all scratched up?
    [flashback to me chasing a raccoon after she told me to leave it alone]
    me: I'm having an affair (by @iwearaonesie
    on Twitter)

Gold Member

When that letter was first published, I recall people here saying it almost seemed planned to be released to the press, knowing it would happen anyway. That seems totally plausible now, H&M probably sat on it to see if the press would continue their shit - which obviously they have - and are now using it for its intended purpose, knowing the “newspapers” continue to be relentless in their pursuit to... what, get her out of the family? Drive her to mental breakdown? I don’t know.

If if this is the case, Meghan’s game is A++++++ and good for her. The rags deserve it and I can’t wait for it to play out.

Truthfully, I admire how Harry is standing up for his wife. Even though Diana had many faults, Charles never stood up for her. He just shrugged and walked away. And with that, Diana did her job. She made her sons good husbands. For the most part, not giving will a pass on the affair.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I can't understand why they have filed a lawsuit many months after the original publication and in the middle of a tour that seems to be going relatively well which is very unusual. Is this deflection of some kind?
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information