Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Like Tree875Likes

Thread: Love 'em or hate 'em: the Harry & Meghan megathread

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    I think Novice was talking about the football twitter comments being racist.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    The Queen is a tax payer. Out of an estimated £400 million brought in through Crown holdings/other sources of income the government keeps £360 million.

The cost of the Royal family to the average British tax payer per year is estimated to be £1.24 per person. The estimated worth of the Royals to the country in terms of tourism is an estimated £1.8 billion per year. Big events such as H&M's wedding push that sum even higher as it attracts even more visitors from abroad.

Working Royals get an allowance to cover their expenses for duties carried out on behalf of the crown but their personal expenses are met from their own private sources of income.

All in all the British economy does rather well out of having a Royal family.
    well, she is *now* and it’s a voluntary arrangement...... just saying....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweets View Post
    Yes, I understand that. My point was that Edward and Sophie made the decision years ago to not take public money to fund their lifestyle. Instead they use Sovereign Grants to pay for official travel and security during outings, and I believe their home, cars, holidays etc are funded by the Queen's own private fortune. It would make sense for Harry & Meghan to do much the same. It's not like Harry is third in line to the thrown these days. If they want more privacy, maybe that's the road they need to go down.
    You know the Sovereign Grant is funded from taxes right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    I just can't get past the inherently offensive concept of royalty: the idea that a bunch of inbred, adulterous, pedophilic, whoremongering, Nazi costume wearing, tampon idealizing, hazardously driving, intellectually substandard, hypocritical whiners are somehow better than everyone else by virtue of their birth, and are thus entitled to live lavishly at taxpayer expense.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!! Plus their “wealth” that is inherited from their forebears.... where did that come from originally? Yep.... taxes! (Re)possessing lands from poorer folks and the like.
    I appreciate that it has grown due to judicial investment but...
    czb, lindsaywhit and Beeyotch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I think they’re basically decorative historical relics but they’re part of the idiosyncrasy of a lot of countries and I like idiosyncrasies and historical holdovers.
    This is pretty much me. I was raised by staunch anti-monarchists who hated the concepts of inherited titles bringing (undeserved) wealth and power, but their main beef was that the royals commanded so much respect that they didn't earn. Yet Mum still watched Charles and Di's wedding, so I think she enjoyed the history and pageantry of it all. Plus she thought they were all so homely.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

^^^ They are generally homely. Sorry. They are lucky to have Kate and Meghan’s genes in the mix, but I don’t know how much they are helping. They are not a generally good looking family. I still like watching the pomp though.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

I think Philip, Diana and now Kate have done their part to dilute the Windsor fugliness. Charles was hopeless of course but William is sorta ok looking besides the baldness and George is super cute so far
    Sleuth likes this.
    Your bum has feelings, your bum is a part of you
    Don’t put it on chairs, your bum has an opinion, yeah

Harper's Bazaar UK (@BazaarUK) Tweeted:
    Hillary Clinton says racism "is certainly a part of" Duchess of Sussex backlash https://t.co/SaS0yGIUzq https://twitter.com/BazaarUK/status/...124375041?s=17

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    this is not a markle fansite. hyperbole is a weak way to win this argument.

personally, i am neutral about her but yes, i thought that bloodline comment was racist. helen keller could've seen it was racist.
    She sure would have... very funny being that the comment was on a Lions Club account, and Helen Keller was the one who inspired Lions to get involved in their fight against blindness. Obviously some members of this club see racism quite clearly. Ugh. Years ago, I was the PR manager at the international office for Lions. I saw that tweet and can only imagine the calls we would get about it. Yikes.
    czb and lindsaywhit like this.

Feared royal biographer Tom Bower sets his sights on Meghan Markle as friends worry the author could drive a wedge between the Sussexes and the rest of the Royal family

• Tom Bower said a biography on the Duchess of Sussex is 'in the offing'
    • He is currently writing book on Boris Johnson and is known for scathing style
    • Sources close to Sussexes say it could create divide between them and family

Feared biographer Tom Bower has set his sights on a book about the Duchess of Sussex, as sources fear it could drive a wedge between her and the rest of the royal family.

Mr Bower, 73, is known for his scathing style after publishing blistering accounts of the lives of Prince Charles, Tony Blair, Jeremy Corbyn and Richard Branson.

The writer is currently working on a book about Boris Johnson, but has admitted one about Meghan Markle is 'in the offing'.

He told the Sunday Express: 'I'm not going to go into details - I'm focusing on Boris. Yes, it is in the offing, I can't deny that.'

They said the idea would be making the Duchess 'very anxious' and likened it to an 'executioner sharpening their axe'.

It comes after Harry launched a ferocious attack on the press, claiming his wife is being subjected to the same 'powerful forces' his mother Diana had to contend with before her death.

The Duchess is suing the Mail on Sunday over its publication of her father's letters.

The couple are also taking legal action against the Sun and now defunct News of the World over phonehacking allegations.

Earlier this year he suggested he is not entirely keen on the Duchess when he appeared on Good Morning Britain.

He told the ITV programme: 'The problem is in my view that she is trying to be Diana. She's trying to adopt that role.'

He added that somebody at the Palace needs to tell her: 'Look, this is the way it's done here.'

Mr Bower said she 'doesn't deserve privacy', adding: 'She's on public display and when you're on public display 24/7 there has to be a certain way of behaving.'

He said in a separate interview: 'Harry is a decent sort of bloke, but he's easily influenced.

'At the same time he's married a woman who is determined and very ambitious.'

Among Mr Bower's unauthorised biographies are: 'Dangerous hero: Corbyn's Ruthless Plot for Power' on the Labour leader, and Broken Vows: Tony Blair and the Tragedy of Power'.

His take on Meghan's father-in-law Prince Charles was that he is jealous of his son's popularity and out of touch.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ss-Sussex.html

^^Ânother loudmouth with limited sources giving a section of small folks their fill of hate.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

So, according to him, she's determined and ambitious. How is that bad? Or is it only men who are to be lauded for those traits and the womenfolk should stick to simpering, breeding and smiling adoringly at those go getter fellas?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Bullshit

Mr Bower said she 'doesn't deserve privacy', adding: 'She's on public display and when you're on public display 24/7 there has to be a certain way of behaving.'”

Video clip of his saying the above: https://twitter.com/scobie/status/1184186269942865952?s=20

^ Here's the video.

That man needs serious help.And do something with his hair.This is how Lohan,s pubes should look.
    DawnM74 likes this.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread Information