Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Like Tree2744Likes

Thread: Love 'em or hate 'em: the Harry & Meghan megathread (Biddies v. Narcs edition)

Meghan and Harry have not endorsed any candidate. But during their appearance on the TIME100 Tuesday night, Harry recommended that prospective voters "reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity."
    Even Trump knows this is about him.

JAN MOIR: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have taken us for fools. Now it's America's turn

By JAN MOIR FOR THE DAILY MAIL
    PUBLISHED: 00:50, 25 September 2020 | UPDATED: 01:28, 25 September 2020

The Queen must be thrilled that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have slipped into their new life in America with such little fuss.
    Only the one public contretemps with President Trump so far, in which he stated in front of a television audience of millions that he didn't like Meghan and that Harry had better watch out for himself.
    'I wish Harry a lot of luck because he is gonna need it,' said the Prez this week — and few would argue with that.
    Still, was it entirely wise of the royal couple to intervene in the forthcoming U.S. election in the way they did? Ostensibly they were merely encouraging people to vote, but their underlying message was clear: don't vote for Trump.
    'It's vital that we reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity,' said Harry, wearing a suit and sitting on a bench in a manner eerily reminiscent of Forrest Gump.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle urge US citizens to vote in the upcoming election

Stupid is as stupid does? Well, here we have a British prince and political eunuch who has been constitutionally unable to vote his entire life using his birthright to encourage others to vote, but only for his approved candidate.
    Within the depths of the magic garden inside Harry's brain, we have moved on from the pumpkin patch of parody and deep into the mockery rockery.
    We are incredibly proud to join you at this historic time,' he said, as if he had been invited to participate in America's business, rather than gatecrashing a political event that has had nothing to do with him or his country since the War of Independence almost 240 years ago.

I hold no candle for Trump, but surely it is up to Americans to choose their president — not a pair of recently decamped international settlers from the House of Windsor, arriving a little breathless to the argument.
    No one can blame the Sussexes for wanting to strike out on their own.
    Making Netflix films and grandiose speeches about building 'communities of compassion' (is there a Lego set for that?) from their glam digs in California sure beats visiting community projects on Deeside and chairing online charity meetings, which is what the rest of the dullsville royals were doing in the UK this week.
    But what is unacceptable is the way Harry and Meghan won't be straight with anyone about anything. They take us for fools! It's all smoke and mirrors, sleight of hand and doublespeak.

+3

President Trump attending the State Banquet at Buckingham Palace with the Queen, First Lady Melania Trump, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall

They absolve themselves of any political responsibility by pretending not to be talking about Trump when they are clearly talking about Trump.
    They insist they did not collaborate with the authors of the hagiographic biography Finding Freedom when it seems clear that some of the greasy details published within its oleaginous pages could have come only from them, directly or indirectly.
    Yet they cannot tell the truth, because the truth is that they are using their royal connections as a platform to lecture others, as they believe their opinions are the right opinions and that everyone who differs is wrong.
    They are classic illiberal liberals, unwilling to accept different perspectives and prone to feeling persecuted when they are merely contradicted.
    I mean, what was Harry going on about, sitting on the bench next to Meghan? 'When the bad outweighs the good,' he began, as if he were singing a country and western song, 'whether we realise it or not, it erodes our ability to have compassion and our ability to put ourself in someone else's shoes.'
    There's been a load of compromisin' on the road to his horizon, especially as it seems just five minutes ago that the Duke of Sussex had very few opinions indeed, except who was his favourite Spice Girl and whether to have another pint of Skull Krusher down at the Dog & Duck (answer: yes).
    Somehow, with the encouragement of his wife, Harry has morphed from posh dope into self-styled prince philosopher.
    This boy who was bottom of his class at Eton now has more opinions than Tripadvisor and — even worse — he expects a nation of 330 million people to sit up and listen to them.
    However, I can't join in the clamour for the couple to be stripped of their royal titles forthwith, even if they seem hell-bent on royally abusing their status. For perhaps the Sussexes have little intention of hanging on to them anyway.
    Don't laugh. It seems clear Harry and Meghan want to establish a godlike presence in the U.S. as quickly as possible; hot-branding themselves on to the rump of the American consciousness before the Queen kicks them out of the royal stables for good.
    Yet deep in their politically correct hearts, Harry and Meghan must know they cannot be agenda-setting, negativity-rejecting modern citizens of the free world while still belonging to an ancient hierarchical institution based on birth, not merit.
    Something to ponder on as they sit in their garden in the California sun and think of lots more things to lecture us about.
    As Forrest Gump himself said, life is like a box of chocolates.
    And when it comes to Harry and Meghan horse-whispering sweet nothings to America and the world beyond, you never know what you'll get: the Total Fudge, the Completely Nuts or the great big Windsor Raspberry.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8770755/JAN-MOIR-Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-taken-fools-Americas-turn.html
    LurkieLoo likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

isn't jan moir the homophobic twat who linked that boyband singer's death to his sexuality and same-sex union? of course she's going out of her way to defend trump
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    isn't jan moir the homophobic twat who linked that boyband singer's death to his sexuality and same-sex union? of course she's going out of her way to defend trump

Yep. She is vile

What a vile woman and a vile article.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

It's vital that we reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity
    What kind of fucking world do we live in, where this message gets attacked? But I have to laugh that even though they didn't mention Trump, his supporters all bristle because they know that he's the one spreading all the hate speech and misinformation.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I'll have you know that Jan Moir is an award-winning journalist. She earned the Stonewall Bigot of the Year Award in 2009.
    sputnik, Novice, Trixie and 6 others like this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have reportedly agreed to star in a fly-on-the-wall Netflix reality series with cameras following them for three months.

The couple 'want to give people a glimpse into their lives and see all the charity work they do', a source said.

It comes after they signed a 112 million Netflix deal to make TV series, films and children's shows for the streaming service.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have reportedly agreed to star in a fly-on-the-wall Netflix reality series with cameras following them for three months

The docuseries will follow the couple for three months and focus on their charitable work, according to a report in*The Sun.*

'They may have had all these lofty ideas about producing epics highlighting environmental causes and the poverty gap, but Netflix obviously want their pound of flesh,' a source told the publication.

'It will all be very tasteful, and not Katie Price and Peter Andre-style reality TV, but they want to give people a glimpse into their lives and see all the charity work they do.'

According to the source, 'much of the docuseries will be about their philanthropy rather than what they get up to behind closed doors.

Won't let me edit it, but here's the link
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ty-series.html

Ugh, they lost me at reality tv. There is no tasteful reality tv. They should have kept it docu style.
    czb, SHELLEE, DawnM74 and 2 others like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Ugh, they lost me at reality tv. There is no tasteful reality tv. They should have kept it docu style.
    They're denying it, but the article that says they aren't doing it is tucked under a much bigger Piers Morgan piece fantasising what such a show would be like.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Oh, figures, fucking Piers Morgan.

i just really hate reality TV, I can't watch it.
    Ravenna and Kittylady like this.

^^^^
    i feel the same except once in a blue moon i get shamefully sucked into one of them, and it becomes my dirty secret.

years ago, it was vanderpump rules with my then-roomate in new york, it would be our sunday hangover binge. and now it's 'selling sunset' which is awful but i also can't look away. i can't handle the kardashians or real housewives or any of the bachelor type shows though.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

i do watch RH beverly hills and NY. not the other RH shows, though, since even i have standards.

I go for the feel-good freak shows like Botched, Hoarders, and My 600 Pound Life.
    sputnik likes this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Thread Information