Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree2323Likes

Thread: Love 'em or hate 'em: the Harry & Meghan megathread (Biddies v. Narcs edition)

Aren't those just rumours from CDAN?

Supposedly she was a “yacht girl” and was connected to Epstein and inevitably Prince Andrew which would be bloody awkward for both Meghan and Harry. It gives more of a reason for them to want to leave. The topless photos that she took of herself with her friends on the beach was supposedly nearby. Anywho my memory on it is fuzzy and looks like the articles are gone.
    LurkieLoo, rollo, effie2 and 1 others like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

I would have assumed that the British tabloids would have paid a lot for proof of her yacht girl activities, which makes me doubt that it's true. Doesn't mean it's not, but I'd have assumed various Government agencies also checked her background and if they'd found that type of behavior would have interfered more than they did.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Don't know where you got all of that to be offended by. You can take 'knew' in any sense you like to show Tom knew her first and could advise Harry if he was willing to take advice from a friend. Meghan asked her friend if Harry was 'kind.' People ask around. Are there any other threads that you like these days?
    Aw. It’s adorbs that you care so much about my posting habits. The disingenuous comments about what knew in parentheses means did provide a mild chuckle though.

Quote Originally Posted by PecanPie View Post
    Aw. It’s adorbs that you care so much about my posting habits. The disingenuous comments about what knew in parentheses means did provide a mild chuckle though.
    Still offended from two pages ago? I hope the mild chuckle lowered your blood pressure.
    DawnM74 and LurkieLoo like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Gold Member

Still offended from two pages ago? I hope the mild chuckle lowered your blood pressure.
    Clearly, semantics is not your thing. Disagreeing with someone, as I did, is not the same thing as being offended by them. That's the great thing about GR - lots of discussion, not so much butt hurt, as you seem to get whenever an opposing view is posted.

To get back to topic... https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...n-royal-family
    Finding Freedom by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand – Harry and Meghan and the making of a modern royal family

The scampish prince and his duchess definitely have a story to tell, but it is not the story in this book

Harry and Meghan in March 2o2o. Photograph: Daniel Leal-Olivas/AFP/Getty Images

Hadley Freeman

@HadleyFreeman

Published onMon 10 Aug 2020 17.17 BST

Prince Harry – HRH as was – has long had to endure cruel snarks about, among other things, his paternity, yet in Finding Freedom, he confirms one thing beyond a doubt: he is 100% his mother’s son. Just as 1992’s Diana: Her True Story in Her Own Words, by Andrew Morton, gave readers an intimate look at the royal family from the perspective of a disgruntled member of the firm, so this book repeats the trick with Diana’s younger son and his wife, Meghan Markle. What this semi-sequel lacks in novelty, it makes up for in cattiness (aimed largely – and this is the only real surprise of the book – at the woman born Kate Middleton, now known as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. We’ll return to that in a tick.)
    Writers Carolyn Durand and Omid Scobie insist Harry and Meghan were not involved in the book. Given the deluge of personal minutiae – from Harry’s emoji habit to Meghan’s favourite hair highlight shades – as well as their litigiousness when it comes to undesired invasions of privacy (they are currently engaged in legal battles with the Mail on Sunday and an American paparazzo), this seems about as credible as Diana’s similar protestations of innocence, all of which Morton scotched about 10 seconds after she died. But whereas Diana chose a tabloid hack as her Boswell, who knew a good story when he saw it, Harry and Meghan opted for two royal journalists. This means the reader is subjected to the Sylvie Krin style of writing that is de rigeur in the genre (I could just about stomach Harry and his “famed ginger locks”, but details of his and Meghan’s glamping trip to Botswana, on which “their days were spent getting closer to nature and their evenings, closer to each other” made me briefly furious that the book hadn’t come with a health warning). Less forgivable than the predictable fluff is how the authors fluff the tale. Because Harry and Meghan definitely have a story to tell, but it is not the story in this book.
    By now, everyone – and certainly everyone who will buy this book – knows the outlines of this saga: Harry, the scampish prince, meets Meghan, the beautiful American actor, who wows him with her glamorous civilian ways (“In fact, Harry,” Durand and Scobie exclusively reveal, “lived within a bubble of sorts”). They marry and live happily ever after – if by “living happily ever after” we mean the British tabloids were wretched to Meghan, her father Thomas behaved even worse, Harry fell out with his brother and then he and Meghan opted out of the whole shebang and moved to Los Angeles. (The book opens with a Ralph Waldo Emerson quote beloved of people who post slogans on Instagram: “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” Whether shacking up in director Tyler Perry’s $18m mansion in Beverly Hills is quite the pathless existence Emerson had in mind is a question for another day.)
    Advertisement
    Morton proffered up Diana’s eating disorder and Charles’s affair with Camilla; the most Scobie and Durand get are that Buckingham Palace was bad at protecting Meghan from the press, and William and Kate weren’t very warm to the new couple. That Meghan was treated abominably by an institutionally racist and sexist British press is a fact, and the book, with satisfying brevity, alludes to one particular tabloid columnist whose obsession with Meghan ranges from hysterical to certifiable. He is deftly dismissed as a social-climber with a grudge “after not receiving an invite to the wedding.”
    It is not Harry and Meghan’s fault that their book has come out in the middle of a global pandemic, but it does underscore their occasional tone deafness in the latter half of the book. Even in the best of times, one would be tempted to break out a tiny violin to accompany their complaints about “the institution” directly following on from details of their luxury holiday in Ibiza and a stay chez Elton John in Nice. Finding Freedom chokes the reader with banal details (if you ever wondered if Meghan craved sweets during pregnancy, this is the book for you), yet it is opaque when it comes to real insights, such as how much Meghan encouraged the press in the early days of her relationship with Harry. Perhaps the most WTF moment is a casual mention that they “were forced to let [their son’s night nanny] go in the middle of her second night of work for being unprofessional and irresponsible”. Call me shallow, but I’m a lot more interested in why a couple would sack a nanny in the middle of the night than Meghan’s cravings. As for Harry, he comes across as goodhearted but oversensitive and impetuous to a degree one can only describe as Diana-esque, whereas chilly William is 100% a Windsor.
    The Sussexes were hung out to dry by the palace and the press; the question the book fails to answer is why, when they were such a boon to the brand. Last year there was a widely circulated rumour that they were being used to distract from some ugliness involving William. Finding Freedom has the space to respond to every other media claim, but on this it stays schtum.
    Yet the real story here is Prince Andrew. While palace courtiers bitchily leaked Meghan’s yoga schedule, the spare from the previous generation merrily lived his life, despite his known friendship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. “The couple prefer to keep their thoughts [on that matter] to themselves,” Scobie and Durand coyly note in one of only two references to Epstein in the book, yet here is where Harry and Meghan have a real argument: why were they given such a rough time when a man accused of sleeping with trafficked young women (which he denies) was granted so much leniency for so long?
    Their silence may tell its own story. Despite all the fuming, the book is very cautious when it comes to the senior members of the royal family, and it’s interesting that it’s Kate who is the focus of the criticism rather than William. It may well be that, despite claiming he has finally found freedom, Harry is keeping a door open to his gilded cage. His mother could have told him that pulling punches doesn’t make for a satisfying book, but perhaps he also learned from her that burning bridges doesn’t make for an easy life.
    Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of a Modern Royal Family is published by HQ (£20). To order a copy go to guardianbookshop.com. Delivery charges may apply.

Quote Originally Posted by PecanPie View Post
    Clearly, semantics is not your thing. Disagreeing with someone, as I did, is not the same thing as being offended by them. That's the great thing about GR - lots of discussion, not so much butt hurt, as you seem to get whenever an opposing view is posted.

Thanks for the noobsplaining. Obviously YOU care about opposing views or you wouldn't keep returning to them.

And, indeed, I was wondering when someone was going to celebrate the arrival of the much-touted Finding Freebies book.
    effie2, DawnM74 and LurkieLoo like this.

Ah,i love freebies so much i totally understand them..you re not supposed to get freebies when royal...Probably they thought about all the freebies they were missing and flipped out..i might too.
    rollo and DawnM74 like this.

And, indeed, I was wondering when someone was going to celebrate the arrival of the much-touted Finding Freebies book.
    There was nothing stopping you from posting it.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    There was nothing stopping you from posting it.
    Huh? I've posted so many new topics on this board. Sometimes the old ones go around in circles.
    DawnM74 and effie2 like this.

Finding Freedom review: Harry and Meghan whinge for Britain in a self-pitying, juicy moanathon

Finding Freedom is one massive moanathon – a one-sided, highly biased, self-pitying account of the relationship between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. And it’s utterly gripping.The authors deny they’ve interviewed Harry and Meghan. Still, their authors’ note acknowledges they have been “accompanying, observing and interacting with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex”. The juicy details are so precise and private that they can only have come straight from the horses’ mouths.

The Sussexes’ main whinge is against the press’s skewed view of their relationship. But when the Sussexes air their one-sided account in this extraordinarily sycophantic book, somehow that’s OK.
    Two worlds – and two forms of PR – collided when Harry and Meghan got together. One is the American, schmaltzy, gushing, self-serving, highly litigious world – and this book is clearly written for the American market (“Harry deeply craves normalcy”). The other is the Queen’s world – never apologise, explain, give interviews or go to law. One form of PR led to the departure of the Sussexes from royal life after barely a year. The other has seen the Queen reign peerlessly for 68 years.
    But then the Queen doesn’t take offence like the Sussexes do – on an Olympian scale. For example, there’s Prince William’s innocent advice to his brother soon after he met Meghan: “Don’t feel like you need to rush this. Take as much time as you need to get to know this girl.”
    In the words of “this girl”, according to Scobie and Durand, “Harry heard the tone of snobbishness that was anathema to his approach to the world… There was a thin line between caring and condescending.”

The supposed slights continue. Meghan refused to go to Pippa Middleton’s wedding service because of the Sun splash that day - “It’s Meghan v Pippa in the Wedding of the Rears”.

The final straw came at this year’s Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey. William and Kate sat with their backs to the couple, only chatting with Prince Edward and Sophie Wessex, also behind them. Meghan apparently tried to make eye contact with Kate but the duchess barely acknowledged her. According to a friend, after that cold shoulder, she never wanted to set foot into “anything royal ever again”.

Harry and Meghan (or Meg, as he calls her) go ballistic at the slightest slight, like Henry VIII on a bad day. Yes, the tabloids can be pretty rough but, actually, the British press – and the British people (barring a few disgusting racists) – welcomed Meghan with open arms. But if you’re looking for offence, you’ll always find it.

Before their wedding, Harry went nuts when Angela Kelly, the Queen’s trusted dresser, didn’t get a tiara to her for a “tiara hair trial”. The tabloids said Meghan insisted on spray-bottle air fresheners to spritz around “musty” St George’s Chapel. In fact, according to Meghan's version in this book, “the discreet, Baies-scented air diffusers… had been okayed by all parties involved.” If you’re going to pick a row, why have one over Baies-scented air diffusers?

Whatever the truth is, you won’t get an objective account from this book. It lauds the “go-get-’em approach Meghan has had ever since, aged 11, she wrote a letter of protest to national leaders, including Hillary Clinton, over a sexist soap ad”. We hear about “Meghan’s willingness to help others and her drive to excel”.
    Like so many rich and famous people used to getting their way, they’re astonished when they don’t. Harry tells a friend, “I’m tired of people covering engagements and then going off to write some rubbish about what someone is wearing.”

Surely Harry realises he can’t dictate his own headlines? Meghan isn’t much brighter, judging by the bons mots from her lifestyle blog The Tig: “Being yourself is the prettiest thing a person can be”; “Travel often – getting lost will help you find yourself.”
    In their pampered bubble – sashimi is delivered to their cottage at Soho Farmhouse; they sit by an open fire tended by a butler at Babington House, Somerset – they can’t bring themselves to defer to the royal system that delivers those privileges.

At their crucial Sandringham meeting with the Queen, “Harry felt as though he and Meghan had long been sidelined by the institution and were not a fundamental part of its future.” That was reflected, he thought, in the pictures on the Queen’s desk in her Christmas message: the Cambridges and their children, Charles and Camilla, Philip and George VI, but nothing of the Sussexes or their baby son.
    They wanted a future as semi-working royals – having their cake, eating it and not accepting the diminishing returns you get the further you get from the throne. The Queen made it clear it wouldn’t work.
    What a needless, never-ending nightmare that fairytale wedding has turned into. As Meghan herself said in March this year, as she hugged Omid Scobie, “It didn’t have to be this way.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/wh...-self-pitying/
    Sleuth, DawnM74 and rollo like this.

I wonder what these two can do to please the British press? Die quietly?

They’re all pampered, spoiled people living inside bubbles. This includes Kate, Will, Charles, the queen, Harry and Meghan. The villanization of these two is dumb. The British press writes much less about Andrew and I don’t understand.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

No, because then they get run through the press for being too snobby to invite the RF to their deaths, avoiding their royal duty by dying ("lazy"), trying to steal the spotlight from Bill and Cathy and be drama queens by dying (mainly Meghan because Harry only went along with it for her sake), and for not doing an interview with Piers Morgan before they died. And for being attention whores for dying in California instead of in a quaint Scottish castle. Though if they had, then Meghan would be just a social climbing yacht girl who married Harry just so she could die in a quaint Scottish castle. Though they would be happy because Archie could be then raised by the RF "proper".
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Meghan Markle Said She Gave Up Her "Entire Life" for the Royals

Emily Dixon 10 hrs ago

According to new Meghan Markle and Prince Harry biography Finding Freedom, Meghan told a friend she "gave up [her] entire life" for the royal family. Speaking after Meghan and Harry stepped down as senior royals, the Duchess of Sussex said she had been "willing to do whatever it takes," adding, "But here we are. It's very sad."
    Finding Freedom, by royal correspondents Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand, was published yesterday.
    One of the saddest details to emerge from Finding Freedom, Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand's biography of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, is just how terrible Meghan felt about how her royal life turned out, and just how hard she tried to make it work. According to Scobie and Durand, in a quote from the book published by the Independent, Meghan spoke "tearfully" to a friend in March, the Sussexes' final month as working royals. "I gave up my entire life for this family. I was willing to do whatever it takes," Meghan reportedly said. "But here we are. It’s very sad."

Harry, meanwhile, was deeply frustrated by the lack of support the couple received from the royal family—very understandably, given the onslaught of racist media coverage Meghan was subjected to. An inside source told Scobie and Durand that Harry felt "there were so many occasions" when the royals could have supported the Sussexes, or spoken out about the vicious media coverage they were receiving. Harry believed his family "could have helped them, stood up for them, backed them up, and never did."
    One member of the royal family who did support the Sussexes, according to Finding Freedom: the Queen herself. The monarch "had always tried to be sensitive to her grandson’s needs," Scobie and Durand write. "That one sentiment meant a lot to Harry."
    Meghan Markle Said She Gave Up Her "Entire Life" for the Royals
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Harry, meanwhile, was deeply frustrated by the lack of support the couple received from the royal family—very understandably, given the onslaught of racist media coverage Meghan was subjected to. An inside source told Scobie and Durand that Harry felt "there were so many occasions" when the royals could have supported the Sussexes, or spoken out about the vicious media coverage they were receiving. Harry believed his family "could have helped them, stood up for them, backed them up, and never did."

This is the sad part. It's also the grossest, nastiest, so very wrong part. I don't want to hear about stiff upper lips and the way it's always done, because it's rubbish. The Royal Family, and more particularly their petty but oh-so-powerful courtiers, have centuries of fine-tuned tactics to support and protect... but only if and when they determine the target is 'the right sort.' The pushy, political, 'straight outta Compton' brash American with the tawdry family and the vulgar career, was patently not that sort. Far worse, she had no intention of being subservient or grateful to the 'viper's nest.' and that's what ultimately enraged them.

Pfft. Their loss. Their are few places in the world more beautiful and peaceful and inviting than Santa Barbara, California. It's in my top five places in the world I'd love to be able to live. (er,...afford.
    )

Thread Information