Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Like Tree2417Likes

Thread: Love 'em or hate 'em: the Harry & Meghan megathread (Biddies v. Narcs edition)

Meghan Markle has agreed to pay £67,000 in legal costs after losing the first round of her battle against the Mail on Sunday's publisher.

The duchess is suing Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), publisher of the newspaper and MailOnline, over an article published in February 2019 which reproduced parts of a handwritten letter she sent to her father.

But in May, the High Court's*Mr Justice Warby*struck out parts of the Meghan's claim, including allegations of 'deliberately stirring up' issues between her and her father.

A written submission from July 22 has since shown that the duchess has agreed to pay in full the publisher’s costs for the strike-out hearing of £67,888.

The hefty bill was revealed as the court heard Meghan believes naming the five female friends who briefed People magazine about her and a letter sent to her father Thomas would be an 'unacceptable price to pay' for pursuing a claim against Associated Newspapers.

The*Duchess of Sussex*has applied for an order to keep secret the identities of the women, all 'young mothers', at a hearing at the Royal Courts of Justice in*London.

Today a skeleton argument presented to the court by Meghan's legal team said: 'To disclose their identities to the public at this stage is an unacceptable price to pay for the right to pursue her claim for invasion of privacy'.

But in an embarrassing moment during the application Meghan's QC Justin Rushbrooke accidentally said the surname of one of the five friends the Duchess of Sussex is seeking to keep anonymous.

Judge Mr Justice Warby, who is expected to rule on the matter in August, immediately directed that the individual's name was not to be reported.

The five women were named as the sources of a People Magazine article in 2019 in legal papers submitted by Meghan to the court earlier this month, although their identities were not made public.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...inst-Mail.html
    Sleuth, DawnM74 and rollo like this.

Good point about both wearing emerald tiaras. I still want to know what the thing looked like
    “A celebrity is a person who works hard all his life to become well known, then wears dark glasses to avoid being recognized.” Fred Allen

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    how cunty and reactionary. but meghan's the 'difficult' one for wanting to wear a veil at her wedding in the 21st century when we've supposedly moved past such idiocies as virgin brides and/or thinking women who have been married before are 'tainted'?
    plus, really, white dresses and veils are supposed to symbolise virginity, in which case cathy, eugenie, beatrice and pretty much every royal bride since diana shouldn't have worn one either.
    And maybe not even Diana for that matter.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

I think she was examined to make sure that she was.
    SHELLEE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mostroop View Post
    I think she was examined to make sure that she was.
    And as we all know a doctor cannot tell!
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkieLoo View Post
    Good point about both wearing emerald tiaras. I still want to know what the thing looked like
    Do you not know how to use Google?

It was rumoured that she wanted to wear the Russian-provinence Vladimir Kokoshnik tiara.
    The emeralds are interchangable with pearls. But traditionally you don't wear green to weddings.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...yal-family-spt

I think that the one she wore was perfect, this one is just too much.

Even if it wasn’t what she wanted, the tiara she wore looked great on her. I agree the other one would have been overwhelming.
    Novice and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Eugenie wore the tiara she wanted ,but the queen had already promised it to her granddaughter.It was really beautiful and there was a big emerald on it.I think the tiara markle finally wore fitted her nicely,in fact tiara and flowers were the best.
    Novice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I agree. I don't care for tiaras but the one she wore was very nice.
    sputnik and Novice like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    And as we all know a doctor cannot tell!

Do you not know how to use Google?

It was rumoured that she wanted to wear the Russian-provinence Vladimir Kokoshnik tiara.
    The emeralds are interchangable with pearls. But traditionally you don't wear green to weddings.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...yal-family-spt

That's based on a "rumor", I was asking about the actual one which hasn't been disclosed and I wish it would be. As for your snide comment, keep scrolling. Your response is not necessary.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    “A celebrity is a person who works hard all his life to become well known, then wears dark glasses to avoid being recognized.” Fred Allen

Quote Originally Posted by LurkieLoo View Post
    That's based on a "rumor", I was asking about the actual one which hasn't been disclosed and I wish it would be. As for your snide comment, keep scrolling. Your response is not necessary.
    Gossiprocks.......
    Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Eugenie wore the tiara she wanted ,but the queen had already promised it to her granddaughter.It was really beautiful and there was a big emerald on it.I think the tiara markle finally wore fitted her nicely,in fact tiara and flowers were the best.
    Yep!

I thought the styles were similar, both kind of 1930sish which is much more flattering (imho) than some of these big ugly heavy things.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    I read Queen Victoria wore white because it offset the lace on her gown. She popularized a white wedding gown but it was often a status symbol as white fabrics were expensive due the cleaning/bleaching methods.
    Pretty much. Wearing a white gown to marry became a symbol of wealth, not purity. It was all about showing you had enough money to buy a dress that should/could only be worn once.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I can never get over the fact they were actually very very dirty,French kings the same.They even shat on buckets in the corridor and poor servants had to get rid of the mess.Ladies went without pants for easy relief.And for easy sex too.all these dresses and undergarments and stuff..

Penny's finally dropped for Prince Harry, can he and Meghan go on, asks CHRISTOPHER WILSON

IT'S been the grimmest week of their lives together - and things only look like they're getting worse. But however baffled and hurt we may feel by Harry and Meghan Markle's defection to America, the couple still need our sympathy.

Meghan Markle and Harry 'felt sidelined' by royals says expert

The long-awaited book they pinned their hopes on, the one which would explain their actions, thoughts and feelings over the past couple of years, has been met with ridicule and, in some places, outright anger. Their dream charitable foundation, Sussex Royal, went into liquidation with the resignation of all its directors. Meghan's lawsuit against a newspaper seems to be floundering. She lost the first round in the proceedings, and has been forced to pay £67,000 in legal fees.

Her attempt to preserve the anonymity of five friends secretly passing on selective information about her new life looks close to failure, too.
    The couple's lifestyle continues to be ruinously expensive, with the whopping annual bill for personal protection coming out of Harry's pocket.
    And Meghan's increased wealth since her marriage will now be subject to the scrutiny of the Internal Revenue Service. She'll now be asked to pay a small fortune in taxes.
    If Harry starts to earn money in the US from lectures and personal appearances, as is his plan, he'll have to pay US taxes.
    Then again their earnings in kind - the loan of their Malibu house, the free flights on private jets - will also become subject to the draconian policies of the IRS.

Prince Harry and Meghan could find independent life financially unsustainable (Image: GETTY•TWITTER)As each day of their self-imposed exile goes by, they must wonder again and again whether they made the right decision in quitting Britain last November.
    Back here, Harry found he's lost the "power of royal" after lecturing the travel industry on how to adapt to the future.
    He set himself up as an "ethical" travel expert with his new organisation Travalyst.
    In his first video since the controversial Finding Freedom was published, on Wednesday, he made the opening speech in a virtual global summit on travel, urging the industry to "build back better" once the coronavirus pandemic has passed.
    But former transport minister Norman Baker gave Harry a scathing put-down, saying: "I'm afraid his credibility on the subject is lacking over his own jet-setting, which undermines his case.

Prince Harry has lost the 'power of royal' (Image: Twitter)The message is fine, but the messenger is wrong - it's like a carnivore advocating vegetarianism."
    One online critic accused the couple of being "entitled and seemingly tone-deaf to the world we live in today".
    A photo a few days ago of the couple clambering aboard a gas-guzzling six-litre Cadillac SUV drew a howl of disapproval from a wider circle of online royal fans.
    Can Harry and Meghan go on like this? We have to understand that Meghan found herself out of her depth when she joined the royal circle and struggled to come to terms with the protocols which surround that family, hence her longing to return to more familiar territory.
    But now, in his turn, Harry will find it difficult to stay afloat in a Tinseltown culture so alien to his own.

Meghan and Prince Harry are reportedly staying at Tyler Perry's house in Beverly Hills (Image: Google)Crucially for Meghan, no studio seems to have stepped forward with the offer of a leading lady role, her hope and dream. If they had, we'd have heard about it. It would seem the all-powerful studio bosses look on the couple as red-carpet fodder, not as a bankable item.
    In Britain, they were a powerful force. But when Harry walked away from royal duties he broke the magic thread which binds royalty to the people.
    It's taken a long time for the penny to drop, but Harry has discovered he is no king of the high seas but a castaway stranded on a desert island.
    Money worries, his dented global reputation, loss of friends, abandonment of all the things, places and people he holds dear - these are a high price to pay for a single mistake.
    What this couple need more than anything is our sympathy and understanding.
    • Christopher Wilson is a royal biographer

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...g-freedom-book
    rollo likes this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Sympathy and understanding won't pay the bills! You couldn't make it up.
    DawnM74 likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

i think it will be hard and sad for his family watching him now.i am sure they all wish him well.i also think they will support him financially and morally all his life.lots of families have a member like him.not good for his child though...

Thread Information