Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Loretta Young allegedly raped by Clark Gable & had child, according to relative

Wouldn't surprise me. It's an industry not known for its kind behavior towards women, especially in that era. And Vivien Leigh said Gable tried to rape her during the filming of GWTW.

Anyone interested in old scandals and how the studios covered them up should see Girl 27. A really good doco.
    Novice likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Loretta confessed in her posthumous memoirs that Judy was her biological daughter by Clark.

I read the entire article on Buzzfeed and it made me uncomfortable. It was framed as "Loretta's confession" and told her life story in the context of the alleged rape and ascribed basically every thing in her life after Judy's birth as a product of the date rape. Yet the basis for the article was NOT Loretta's confession, it was a comment she'd allegedly made to her daughter-in-law twenty years in passing. It compared the situation to the Bill Cosby thing, but that's totally different in that there are dozens of victims telling their OWN story about rapes from Cosby, not an alleged third hand comment from decades ago only told now that both the victim and alleged attacker are long dead, along with their daughter. I didn't even fully understand the comment the DIL alleges Loretta made: apparently Loretta was watching Larry King Live, didn't know what "date rape" was and asked her son and daughter-in-law. The DIL said Loretta was "very proper" so she tried to explain it using vague, sanitized language and Loretta replied, "Oh, that's what happened with me and Clark." Then I think she said they had a discussion about it, but the details were vague and I'm like, what? Both the son and DIL emphasized how cold and prim Loretta (a devout Catholic was) and how you couldn't even suggest sex or "improper things" in front of her, and she never ever talked about her private life even to family, yet then she was happy to spill all the details about the night she and Clark conceived Judy? She was in her 80s at the time, was she lucid? If the family tiptoed around things like that all the time, did Loretta even understand what her daughter-in-law was telling her in her coded explanation? Then there was a long passage where the writer went into detail about Loretta's legendary affair with Spencer Tracy but tried to claim (ludicrously IMO) that Loretta was chaste and never slept with Tracy that was just weird.

It just struck me as very shaky ground, especially as the article took the daughter-in-law's story as fact and just ran with it. Rape is a serious crime and I think if you're going to accuse someone of it, you should have some basis, such as least a personal account by the victim. I also got a weird vibe out of the daughter-in-law in the story. Apparently she and her husband (Loretta's son) live in a house that's like a shrine to Loretta. The son/husband seemed weirdly passive and the daughter-in-law did most of the talking, but I never got a sense of who she was at all outside of an obsession with her mother-in-law. What's her background, does she do anything aside from run a Loretta shrine? She's the source for the story and yet I didn't get a sense of her at all, including how trustworthy she might be. Also, the daughter-in-law is ALL over the comments section in the Buzzfeed article, replying to almost everyone, and seems to love the attention - the basking in the glory seems almost distasteful.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

I thought this was pretty well known except for the rape part. I always read that it was an affair.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

I co-sign that the story that Loretta Young gave birth to Clark Gable's child and passed her off as adopted has been out there for years. Apparently the child inherited Gable's big ears and they were surgically pinned back.

"Every time Loretta commits a sin, she builds a church.", Joan Crawford said. "That's why there are so many churches in Malibu".
    Not sure if this is true characterization of LY but

Judy had Clark's smile - and ears. Loretta had the ears pinned back. This is known. And according to Judy, she said her stepfather never liked her very much.

I read a book a long time ago called Ginger, Loretta and Irene WHO? by George Eals - he raked both Ginger and Loretta over the coals, painting them both as phonies and hypocrites. He recalled an account of Loretta and her husband making a trip to Europe right after the war - and wrote how Loretta embellished and outright lied about her experiences with war orphans - and her husband enabled her.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Joan Crawford must have been a hell of a lot of fun to hang out with I mean as long as you weren't her kids.
    dougie, Trixie, twitchy2.0 and 3 others like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Joan was Clark's go-to piece - they were f**kbuddies up until he married Carole Lombard. Clark was the one who got Joan obsessed with personal hygiene. She did not bathe regulary in her early Hollywood, and was promiscuous. As a result, she would get crabs and impetigo and he told her about it. After that, she became fastidious.

ETA: Joan was the one Clark went to after Carole Lombard died.
    Last edited by BITTER; July 14th, 2015 at 09:39 AM.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I read about this in the marvellous book "Hollywood Babylon" many years ago. It was portrayed as a fling, not rape. Either way the daughter bears a striking resemblance to her alleged father.
    I love that book. I still have a copy of it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me. It's an industry not known for its kind behavior towards women, especially in that era. And Vivien Leigh said Gable tried to rape her during the filming of GWTW.

Anyone interested in old scandals and how the studios covered them up should see Girl 27. A really good doco.
    I'm trying to find this. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Joan was Clark's go-to piece - they were f**kbuddies up until he married Carole Lombard. Clark was the one who got Joan obsessed with personal hygiene. She did not bathe regulary in her early Hollywood, and was promiscuous. As a result, she would get crabs and impetigo and he told her about it. After that, she became fastidious.

ETA: Joan was the one Clark went to after Carole Lombard died.
    I don't read enough celeb biographies it seems. This is GOOD juice.

Girl 27 is an excellent documentary. Its sad though. At the time of the film, the girl was an elderly hermit that very reluctantly agreed to meet with the director. She's incredibly withdrawn, almost like she has a touch of autism, but its obvious it was all from the trauma of being raped and then being re-victimized by the justice system when she spoke up.
    BITTER likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Joan Crawford must have been a hell of a lot of fun to hang out with I mean as long as you weren't her kids.
    Or on the Board of Directors for Pepsi -one of my favorite lines from a movie ever

A friend of mine's grandmother was one of his wives....fourth wife, I think. Even though they divorced, (amicably) she apparently never had a bad thing to say about him. I'm not saying he couldn't have date raped her, but I also question the third-hand source.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I used to know the son he never met - John Clark Gable. When I was at Ford, I was involved in organizing off-road motorsports events in California, Nevada, Baja, Arizona, and John was a non-Ford sponsored racer who basically did it because he had nothing better to do with his life. A total trust-fund kid, he was the spitting image of his dad (especially when he smiled), and if brains were dynamite, he couldn't have blown his nose. Nice kid, just dumb as a potato.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

My grandma told me about this back in the early eighties when she let me start reading the "rags" as she called them. She told me that she had heard he raped her so that was a rumor back when she was growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Girl 27 is an excellent documentary. Its sad though. At the time of the film, the girl was an elderly hermit that very reluctantly agreed to meet with the director. She's incredibly withdrawn, almost like she has a touch of autism, but its obvious it was all from the trauma of being raped and then being re-victimized by the justice system when she spoke up.
    Yes, I have heard about this woman greysfang. She was essentially blackballed in Hollywood in addition to having her name and reputation slandered. Rape in Tinseltown is a lot more prevalent than we think - Kirk Douglas and Ronald Reagan have both been rumored to have committed the crime on young starlets - the most pervasive rumor being that Kirk raped Natalie Wood when she was a teenager.
    Novice likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information