Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LL Cool J pays 10 percent to God

I don't remember where but it does say in the Bible people should tithe to God and that being the house of God which is church. The Bible says a lot that people of the world don't agree with but hey that's life. I would rather follow the Bible that live in the world. It's not an easy walk though.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Paying tithes is the biggest scam. Last time I checked God didn't need money. And why do you need to pay 10% of your earnings to a church so they can put it in the 'building fund,' which means the pastor will be driving around in a new car that you helped pay for.
    There are several Pastors here who are driving around in Bentley's and Rolls Royce's while the majority of their congregation's are living below poverty levels...damn shame! However, tithing ten percent is in The Bible:

Leviticus 27:30 'Thus all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S; it is holy to the LORD.Numbers 18:24 "For the tithe of the sons of Israel, which they offer as an offering to the LORD, I have given to the Levites for an inheritance; therefore I have said concerning them, 'They shall have no inheritance among the sons of Israel.'"
    Deuteronomy 14:28 "At the end of every third year you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in that year, and shall deposit it in your town.
    Deuteronomy 14:29 "The Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance among you, and the alien, the orphan and the widow who are in your town, shall come and eat and be satisfied, in order that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.
    Hebrews 7:5 And those indeed of the sons of Levi who receive the priest's office have commandment in the Law to collect a tenth from the people, that is, from their brethren, although these are descended from Abraham.
    Hebrews 7:9 And, so to speak, through Abraham even Levi, who received tithes, paid tithes..

See it can be used for anything..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I give money to my church every week, and I don't believe I'm literally giving the money to God but to an organization that will use it for Godly purposes. Money that people give in weekly offerings or through a private donation funds the church's programs, which I support and believe in. It pays church staff and allows the church to improve its facilities. It also goes to charities and helps pay for youth mission trips, camps, etc. There are many expenses associated with running youth groups and even with adult Bible studies. It can also provide scholarships towards Christian education to families who normally wouldn't be able to afford it.

I know that my church really takes care of its members, particularly students (elementary through college). They offer home-cooked meals to students in the K-12 youth groups and the college group at no cost several times a week, and they regularly have pot luck dinners for all members. There is a clothing donation center that offers second hand clothing to church members who can't afford to buy clothes, particularly winter coats. There are so many wonderful programs that rely on donations from the members who CAN afford to give.

When I give money to the church, I believe that it's going towards positive causes that Christianity and ultimately God would endorse. God doesn't need money, but the church needs money to do God's will and to continue to operate a place of worship that will offer positive and rewarding opportunities to the members of the community.
    Last edited by southernbelle; March 16th, 2008 at 10:48 PM.

Where in the Bible does it say "and thou shall giveth 10% of your gross wages to the church"... this pisses me off... you can't buy God, it doesn't work like that...

I used to know a guy who made AUD$40K a year who gave 15% of his gross wages to his church... for what??? The guy had a wife and 2 young kids, he'd come to work with these stale old sandwiches for lunch, old faded clothes... and I just used to think that the $6K he was giving to God could have been used for his family.

Anyway, whatever.... your money LL, do as you please.
    vaya con dios

Well sometimes it just makes people feel good and righteous to do that. Even if you are motherless broke and can give to others less fortunate or as unfortunate it gives a small pleasure to be abe to still give. But not me. Im keeping my money to myself and my kids. Im too mean, most of the time.
    Jack I swear.

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    There are several Pastors here who are driving around in Bentley's and Rolls Royce's while the majority of their congregation's are living below poverty levels...damn shame! However, tithing ten percent is in The Bible:

Leviticus 27:30 'Thus all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S; it is holy to the LORD.Numbers 18:24 "For the tithe of the sons of Israel, which they offer as an offering to the LORD, I have given to the Levites for an inheritance; therefore I have said concerning them, 'They shall have no inheritance among the sons of Israel.'"
    Deuteronomy 14:28 "At the end of every third year you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in that year, and shall deposit it in your town.
    Deuteronomy 14:29 "The Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance among you, and the alien, the orphan and the widow who are in your town, shall come and eat and be satisfied, in order that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.
    Hebrews 7:5 And those indeed of the sons of Levi who receive the priest's office have commandment in the Law to collect a tenth from the people, that is, from their brethren, although these are descended from Abraham.
    Hebrews 7:9 And, so to speak, through Abraham even Levi, who received tithes, paid tithes..

See it can be used for anything..
    But like I said before, God didn't write the Bible. Man did. So, it wasn't God telling people to give money to the church, it was ordinary people, probably religious leaders, telling people to give a portion of their money to the church.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Plus your tithes should be used for doing "God's work" - feeding the hungry, helping the poor, stuff like that as well as supporting the church to provide spiritual refuge. We give to our church but we also give a substantial amount to the homeless shelter and Habitat for Humanity and Heifer International, and I think that counts too.

I don't believe "your finances will double" though. The Bible says that God will pour out blessings but I don't think that means you can get rich by tithing. That's prosperity gospel spread by unscrupulous preachers. I know tons of people who tithe but they're not even remotely rich.
    Agreed. I think it's good to give to some churches (our priests live on site and are not rich- and I am aware of how their finances are spent) and it's very good to give to charity (money and works). HOWEVER, I don't think God rewards people with money. Where on earth does that come from? Blessed are the poor...camel, eye of needle...and all that stuff.

My brother-in-law goes to a church that believes in the prosperity gospel, and it's creepy and fake. The minister is loaded, and his wife is a fake blond with a fake tan and designer clothing. They have a Starbucks in the church. Seriously.

Elite Member

But like I said before, God didn't write the Bible. Man did. So, it wasn't God telling people to give money to the church, it was ordinary people, probably religious leaders, telling people to give a portion of their money to the church.
    If you are a Christian you believe that the Bible is God's Word. He didn't put pen to paper but inspired man to write.

Incidentally, I don't necessarily think the 10% is a hard and fast rule. That is Old Testament Jewish law. Nowhere in the New Testament does Jesus say to give 10%. He does talk about giving but in more of an abstract way that deals with the attitude. There is one verse that says each man should give what he has decided in his heart...and God loves a cheerful giver. You shouldn't give so much that you feel angry about it.

Why do you think the religious leaders were so threatened by Jesus that they set him up to die? They feared losing money and power. What Jesus was preaching would have made the religious leaders of the day extinct.

I was just pointing out that it was in the Bible, as I was told. I don't agree with this.. I think it's nut, I am not giving ten percent of my earnings to the alleged 'building fund' while Pastor rides around in a Bentley.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Elite Member

Good for him.! I tithe to my church AND donate money to charities. To each his own!

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    If you are a Christian you believe that the Bible is God's Word. He didn't put pen to paper but inspired man to write.

Incidentally, I don't necessarily think the 10% is a hard and fast rule. That is Old Testament Jewish law. Nowhere in the New Testament does Jesus say to give 10%. He does talk about giving but in more of an abstract way that deals with the attitude. There is one verse that says each man should give what he has decided in his heart...and God loves a cheerful giver. You shouldn't give so much that you feel angry about it.

Why do you think the religious leaders were so threatened by Jesus that they set him up to die? They feared losing money and power. What Jesus was preaching would have made the religious leaders of the day extinct.
    I believe the Bible does represent the tenents of God. But the fact is that the Bible has been rewritten and distorted so many times over the centuries that it's not feasible to take it completely as God's word, when it's people who are altering it to fit their own needs.

And I have no problem with people giving money to a church, as long as the church is using that money for a good cause. But to tell people that you have to donate a certain portion of your income to the church makes no sense. That has nothing to do with God, but just plain human greed.

Now, I believe in God, always have and always will, but I don't base that belief on the Bible. I respect the Bible for what it is, but I don't incorporate my faith around it, because, as I wrote before, it's been distorted by man too many times.

Elite Member

All you need to know about Christianity can be found in the Sermon on the Mount.

I do believe the Bible is reflective of the times they were written in. No one I know sacrifices farm animals anymore Like I said, the 10% was a Jewish law because people generally do not want to give freely from the heart but when Jesus came he said that's exactly what we should do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information