Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: Linkin Park Frontman Chester Bennington, 41, Found Dead of Apparent Suicide: Report

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Frankly, I think suicide is brave and takes balls. Your basic innate instinct is for self-preservation.

A person who dies by suicide typically is not thinking about how they can be selfish; they are thinking about how they can end the pain they are enduring, and most of the time they perceive they are creating pain for others. They want to end that, too. Those are not selfish thoughts.
    This is 100% spot on in my opinion. No one knows what is on the other side, no matter what their beliefs are, so if someone is in so much turmoil that they can not be here any longer, it takes a lot of courage to hope the "other side" is better.

Suicide attempts are different, in my opinion. They are cries for help. I've had three in my past, long past, but I did them as I wanted help and didnt know how to ask for it. Though, I can say, one was too close for comfort. Had my Ex not found me, I wouldnt be writing this.

I feel like when someone is so done with this world, they know exactly how they are going to end it and make sure it is final, which takes a lot of balls to do. I personally, went routes that I hoped would work, but also knew someone would find me first.

Just my 2 cents

Elite Member

It's actually pretty difficult to successfully kill yourself. I have bouts of depression with suicidal thoughts (hormonal) that last for a few days, and the last time, I looked up all of the suicide methods because I was trying to figure out how to do it without just causing myself permanent brain damage or disability or a lot of pain while it was happening. The worst would be to survive and be a burden to your family the rest of your life. There was a website that listed all of the methods and how effective they would be. I couldn't find out how to do it where you just fell asleep and never woke up - well, not with 100% certainty. I thought about who would find my body and how disturbing it would be to whoever found me. And I decided it wasn't worth the risk. I'd like to just withdraw from society and become a hermit, since my depression is rooted in social anxiety and insecurity.
    Annika likes this.

My heart goes out to each and every one of you who have shared your stories.

I've heard so many times in my life that suicide is "the easy way out," it's selfish, it's a "permanent solution to a temporary problem," and the list goes on. On one hand, I'm genuinely glad that the people who think those things haven't had to experience a real nadir of emotions, 24/7 feelings of hopelessness, bleakness, and feeling as though you're fighting to climb out of a very deep, dark hole, yet every day, its walls seem to become higher and steeper.

On the other hand, when you have lived through those kinds of thoughts and feelings, finding a way to finally get some relief doesn't seem to be selfish, at all, especially if you also have a bone deep certainty that you're a burden and that you're adding to or causing problems for your loved ones.

I'm going through a particularly rough time at the moment, as I help my mother care for my father who has dementia. Every day is such a morass of every negative emotion imaginable. There have been times lately when I've seriously thought about how I just can't feel these things anymore, but even though I'm certain that I'm just making things worse for my mother, we're also very close, so I know that if I were to go that route, it would break her and I just can't do that. I just try to keep telling myself that somehow, someway life will get better at some point.

Depression is a horrible, insidious monster, and it's one over which it's so incredibly difficult to triumph. People who ponder suicide or even go through with it have experienced so much suffering and they reach a point where they just cannot fight it anymore, and they cannot bear to live with the certainty (as they perceive it) that their existence is causing pain for those they love. It's awful in every way, but it doesn't make them at all selfish or cowardly, in my opinion.
    emkat and lindsaywhit like this.

Depression is 100% a fucked up brain chemicals and synapses issue. It is NOT a choice or people being lazy or self-absorbed. And it can be SO hard to find a med that works. But once you do and find the right balance and dose it can work so well to get shit back on track. I just went through a loved one who hadn't had an episode since before I met, like 15 years ago and I was thrown for a damn gigantic loop too. Much talk about what is the point, why am I wasting my time being here? The world would be better if I was gone, etc, etc. It was heart breaking and exhausting to try to will through not having slit their wrists when I was busy for a few hours. But after much pushing to get on meds (still not therapy agreed to yet, this guy is so hard to push) is finally back to rational realistic thoughts. The meds kicked in an allowed him to see things in a realistic not catastrophic way. This dang guy is now giving me loads of life advice with much self confidence and I love hearing every overly ambitious bit of it.

Is what drives me to rage that the shitty US "health insurance" refuses to see mental health as a life threatening illness. Infuriates me. It's looked at getting treatment like a relaxation massage. It is NOT comparable, jfc.
    lindsaywhit and Bombshell like this.

Depression is 100% a fucked up brain chemicals and synapses issue.

true !

And what I find interesting is that when I went thru a dark period this past xmas time, all it took was a thought to snap me out of it.
    i had come by a Facebook post by someone I hadn't seen in a long time. She's now happily married with a baby .........
    a wee baby in a hospital struggling with cancer.
    i got mad. Here's me contemplating death and there's a baby who doesn't deserve to die but could. No.....I'll live and that baby will live dammit.
    Its been more than 6 mos since then.
    Turns out i had vitamin deficiency, s.a.d. and shitty bf/job that
    exacerbated the depression. Im taking vitamins, ditched the guy, found a career. Im much happier.
    The baby is in full remission. eating solids,and home with mom and dad.

I wish something(thought) saved Chester
    Last edited by whitetigeress; July 22nd, 2017 at 06:01 PM.

Your News Wire posted an article yesterday that was getting passed around saying there's speculation Chester was murdered. The article seems fake to me so not posting it but this was in the article.

Murders are sometimes made to look like suicides. We think he was murdered, we just have to find out who was behind it,” said a police source.
    arie_skop likes this.
    Until the end of time. I'll be there for you. You own my heart and mind. I truly adore you
    -Prince Rogers Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Froogy View Post
    This is 100% spot on in my opinion. No one knows what is on the other side, no matter what their beliefs are, so if someone is in so much turmoil that they can not be here any longer, it takes a lot of courage to hope the "other side" is better.

Suicide attempts are different, in my opinion. They are cries for help. I've had three in my past, long past, but I did them as I wanted help and didnt know how to ask for it. Though, I can say, one was too close for comfort. Had my Ex not found me, I wouldnt be writing this.

I feel like when someone is so done with this world, they know exactly how they are going to end it and make sure it is final, which takes a lot of balls to do. I personally, went routes that I hoped would work, but also knew someone would find me first.

Just my 2 cents
    I'm glad you're still here with us, Froggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnygirl View Post
    Your News Wire posted an article yesterday that was getting passed around saying there's speculation Chester was murdered. The article seems fake to me so not posting it but this was in the article.

Murders are sometimes made to look like suicides. We think he was murdered, we just have to find out who was behind it,” said a police source.
    I also came across a similar article that Chester and Chris' death were suss but sounds like a conspiracy theory and speculation. It does sound fake.
    Sunnygirl and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    Depression is 100% a fucked up brain chemicals and synapses issue.
    Agree! Until society stops seeing depression/suicide/every other mental health issue as something that should be controlled by nothing but sheer willpower, mental health care will never improve and people who suffer will continue to suffer in silence without getting help.
    Sunnygirl, holly and weathered1 like this.
    “Cigarettes and coffee: an alcoholic's best friend!”
    ~Gerard Way

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnygirl View Post

According to Snopes it is fake and the guy behind it is a conspiracy theorist who has tried to link the deaths to the much debunked PizzaGate.

Were Chester Bennington and Chris Cornell Murdered to Cover Up a Pedophile Ring?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Listening to their music over the weekend made me realize that he lasted longer than he probably should have. Every song is a cry for help.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I've had "My December" on repeat after hearing it in tribute to him on Thursday. They were one of those few bands that I didn't turn when they came on the radio.

My favorite guy Rob Thomas had a horrific childhood and he says to this day that the darkness can sometimes outweigh the good times even though he has had an amazing life since then. I feel for those people that can't let go even though everything in them screams that they want to be free. It's a struggle that makes you tired of life.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

fricking conspiracies! apparently he was john podesta's son too. (pizzagate guy?).

i do have a weird thing though, i was looking thru his wife's twitter, and birds had hit the window so hard she took photographs of their outlines, in my family a bird (especially a crow) hitting the window foretells death. the pictures were in march. creeeeepy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    fricking conspiracies! apparently he was john podesta's son too. (pizzagate guy?).

i do have a weird thing though, i was looking thru his wife's twitter, and birds had hit the window so hard she took photographs of their outlines, in my family a bird (especially a crow) hitting the window foretells death. the pictures were in march. creeeeepy!!!!
    Two birds got into the house right before my Mom and uncle died. My sister freaked out because she was sure that 2 people were going to die. She was right. She also hears death bells when someone dies. She's rarely wrong. Family rumor is that my grandmother was a witch.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    Two birds got into the house right before my Mom and uncle died. My sister freaked out because she was sure that 2 people were going to die. She was right. She also hears death bells when someone dies. She's rarely wrong. Family rumor is that my grandmother was a witch.
    i don't know where that bird thing came from but it's happened in our family 3x that i can remember, my grandma, uncle and grandpa. my grandpa was in the hospital with cancer and the crows were in the trees, my mom was so freaked after one hit the window she would try to chase the birds out of the trees with brooms. we have some weird russian gypsy card reading history on my maternal grandmother's family. quite a few of us read tarot still. my mom is super christian now so she doesn't do the psychics or readings anymore. i remember she took my brother's to a small town to get fricking wax poured on their heads. i have no idea why she did that. lol.

still sad about chester though. i always joked that linkin park was the fave band of the 15 year old world of warcraft bossy pvp boy that lived inside me.

Kittylady likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information