Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: Linkin Park Frontman Chester Bennington, 41, Found Dead of Apparent Suicide: Report

Quite simply, people who can't understand depression MUST try to understand, that most people who do commit suicide believe they are doing what is best not only for themselves, but for their loved ones. I HATED the toll my depression took on my family, and when I shared my problem, I felt as if I was a hindrance to their lives. If I died, they would hurt, but it would be a harsh, band aid pain, that eventually would recede. If I continued to bring them down because I can't handle my life and am depressed constantly, I am giving them a lifetime of misery. It's a sick, messed up viewpoint, but if a suicidal person was able to correct it, they wouldn't commit suicide.
    Annika, weathered1, HWBL and 10 others like this.

i would never call someone who was succumbing to a fatal disease a coward, nor selfish!

if you are seriously serious about killing yourself, (i don't count cries for help type attempts), i don't think by that point you believe anyone is going to care, miss you, and everyone will better off without you. you are sick with your thinking process, it's an illness.

truly, really happy people (not fakey happy) don't just off themselves.
    although some that have a plan will sometimes seem to appear happier before their suicide because they found their solution.

i'd just like to conclude this with a disclaimer that this is just from thoughts i've experienced in my own head, your thoughts may vary.
    HWBL, mopar, Mrs P and 1 others like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Ugh this was so out of left field. One step closer is my jam when I'm pissed or need to get pumped.
    I have a CD compilation that I put on when I'm doing a serious cleaning binge that has several Linkin Park tracks on it. You are right that it's the kind of music that pumps you up and keeps you going.

As far as suicide goes I agree with everyone who takes issue with suicides being labeled cowards/selfish etc. In the deepest, darkest moments of depression you can't see any other way out. There are no happy thoughts to grab at, there is no sense of anything other than the crushing weight of life, the universe and everything in it bearing down on you, stealing away everything that means anything to you and almost sucking the very breath from your body. A lot of suicides genuinely believe that their death will improve things for the people around them because they will no longer be a burden, a constant fuck up, a source of disappointment and pain. They can't see the reality of what will happen when they are gone or how the people they love will be affected because this vile, insidious disease won't let them.

Being selfish is a choice, fucked up brain chemistry isn't.
    dexter7, Geest, Ravenna and 5 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I'm in tears reading these last several posts. Very brave of everyone to speak up about their own struggles so I wanted to thank you all for sharing. That is all I wanted to say.
    Until the end of time. I'll be there for you. You own my heart and mind. I truly adore you
    -Prince Rogers Nelson

I grew up listening to Linkin Park RIP Chester
    This song is sad

HeartShapedBox, Icepik and Mrs P like this.

I have tried to kill myself before, and luckily failed (broke a light fitting though!). I do say to myself that the one thing that stops me from doing it is my parents - I couldn't leave them, I'm an only child and my mum found her dad after he killed himself when she was 19. I can't do that to her, or them.

BUT, the cloud takes no prisoners, and once it's come to play it's there to stay. The real reason I haven't killed myself is not my parents, but because my depression hasn't been as bad as it was years ago. I love my parents and I never want to hurt them, but sometimes the evil part of your brain can speak over every other rational thought. I suffer from anxiety and catastrophic thoughts, which make it difficult to see situations rationally. It really can be a daily struggle but I can't leave the world yet, I've not Rafael Nadal or Peyton Manning
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Frankly, I think suicide is brave and takes balls. Your basic innate instinct is for self-preservation.

A person who dies by suicide typically is not thinking about how they can be selfish; they are thinking about how they can end the pain they are enduring, and most of the time they perceive they are creating pain for others. They want to end that, too. Those are not selfish thoughts.

Before I got ill myself I had no understanding for people who commit suicide. Today I know that you cannot understand that mindset as a healthy person. And that you should be really thankful for not knowing how it feels. The ill part of your brain does not respond well to logic or good thoughts. I did not want to kill myself ever, I only wanted to feel better, but still... while in hospital I felt the need to avoid bridges, did not wear a belt etc., just to be sure that the uncontrollable monster in my head did not get ideas. It is really scary to be a helpless bystander in your own destructive brain.

I'll say that having watched a family struggle with the death of someone by suicide that anger and the belief that they were selfish to do this is just one of the stages they go through while dealing with the grief. Just like blaming themselves for not being able to help.
    Annika, Kittylady and dexter7 like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    I have tried to kill myself before, and luckily failed (broke a light fitting though!). I do say to myself that the one thing that stops me from doing it is my parents - I couldn't leave them, I'm an only child and my mum found her dad after he killed himself when she was 19. I can't do that to her, or them.

BUT, the cloud takes no prisoners, and once it's come to play it's there to stay. The real reason I haven't killed myself is not my parents, but because my depression hasn't been as bad as it was years ago. I love my parents and I never want to hurt them, but sometimes the evil part of your brain can speak over every other rational thought. I suffer from anxiety and catastrophic thoughts, which make it difficult to see situations rationally. It really can be a daily struggle but I can't leave the world yet, I've not Rafael Nadal or Peyton Manning
    It would be a worse world without you in it, Levitt - that's for sure. And as a parent who worries about his kids all the time, I say "Thanks for thinking of us."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I'll say that having watched a family struggle with the death of someone by suicide that anger and the belief that they were selfish to do this is just one of the stages they go through while dealing with the grief. Just like blaming themselves for not being able to help.
    I bet the sudden death of a parent by either accident, or suicide, or murder, or undiagnosed disease probably feels like abandonment, no matter how it happened. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It would be a worse world without you in it, Levitt - that's for sure. And as a parent who worries about his kids all the time, I say "Thanks for thinking of us."

I bet the sudden death of a parent by either accident, or suicide, or murder, or undiagnosed disease probably feels like abandonment, no matter how it happened. Very sad.
    Children of a parent who died by suicide are more likely to commit suicide as well.

A co-worker's 12 year-old daughter was suicidal for a couple of months late last year due to a hormone imbalance. He's the most upbeat and funny guy that you could ever hope to meet and what his daughter went through was heartbreaking for him. He couldn't fix what was wrong with his little girl. She finally got back on track with the help of a good doctor and she's almost back to herself, but the thought of her committing suicide colors their life now.

Wow, reading every one of your stories did make me tear up. It's a "I'm not alone" feeling and I hate that often people in our day to day life don't understand. I've actually been open more about it, friends, co-workers, and have been pleasantly surprised of them accepting it and not judging me. Much love to all of you

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    Wow, reading every one of your stories did make me tear up. It's a "I'm not alone" feeling and I hate that often people in our day to day life don't understand. I've actually been open more about it, friends, co-workers, and have been pleasantly surprised of them accepting it and not judging me. Much love to all of you
    This^ And same. I love all of you guys.

I'm heartbroken over Chester's passing. Like most of you I grew up with their music.
    Their music seemed to be the soundtrack to my teen years. I've had Reanimation in my CD player and iPod for well over 10 years.

Chester was an amazing, talented musician, writer, and lyricist.
    On top of being talented, he was a genuine, nice, sweet, humble person...
    My heart goes out to his wife, children, and to the many he touched with his music and presence in this world...

This (his passing) doesn't seem real.

His wife's caption plus that smile is the sweetest yet (now) the most heartbreaking thing...

https://twitter.com/TalindaB/status/879104881637957633
    Last edited by SoCalMarie; July 21st, 2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Added Twitter Link
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Damn! I just said a couple of days ago that this is a band I need to see next time they're playing in this area!

Guess that's not happening.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information