Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: Liam Neeson sparks race row over rape comments

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    But where's the graph/pie Mohandas?
    I need to find a place to host images......
    BITTER likes this.

I use tinypic. It's a pain in the ass but isn't too bad if you're not posting multiple pics.
    MohandasKGanja and Lalasnake like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Wait, so I'm supposed to hate Liam Neeson now for sharing a story of a time in his life he's not proud of and when he really wasn't thinking straight? It was a black person but it could well have been a biker and Liam would have been hanging out of biker bars trying to beat the crap out of a biker. If someone we love is hurt we can't be reasonable.
    If the rapist had been a biker, Neeson would never have found out, because he only asked the victim about race.
    "But my immediate reaction was... I asked, did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person."

The lesson Neeson learned was that violence is bad, not that racism is bad.
    "All this stuff that's happening in the world, the violence, is proof of that, you know. But that primal need, I understand," he added.
    BITTER likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    It's not normal to want to go after anybody that is of the same race as the person you are angry at. That's different to a normal feeling of wanting revenge IMO.
    Very true. Point taken.
    mostroop likes this.

Michelle Rodriguez: Liam Neeson isn’t racist, because he made out with Viola Davis

Too many people avoided Widows for some reason. Even given Liam Neeson’s racist bulls–t this week, I would still recommend the film. In fact, now that we’re all in a place of thinking that Liam is awful, Widows is a great movie to watch because of what happens with his character (no spoilers, just watch it). Liam doesn’t have a huge role in Widows, but it’s a substantive part, and he plays Viola Davis’s character’s husband. They reportedly got along very well on and off the set, and Viola talked a lot about how important it was for to play an interracial love story with a big-time white leading man like Liam. I guess Liam never told her the story about the time he went hunting around, looking to kill any “black bastard” he met.
    Liam’s Widows costar Michelle Rodiguez had some thoughts about Liam’s whole racist AF story. Michelle thinks… well, I’ll let her tell it.
    Michelle Rodriguez is certain that her Widows co-star Liam Neeson is not a racist. The actress is one of the few industry insiders to publicity support Neeson since the actor gave a lightning-rod of an interview in which he admitted that decades ago, he wanted to kill a black man in order to get revenge for a friend who had been raped.
    “It’s all f–kin’ bullsh-t. Liam Neeson is not a racist,” said Rodriguez at the amfAR Gala New York on Wednesday night. “Dude, have you watched Widows? His tongue was so far down Viola Davis’s throat. You can’t call him a racist ever. Racists don’t make out with the race that they hate, especially in the way he does with his tongue—so deep down her throat. I don’t care how good of an actor you are. It’s all bullsh-t. Ignore it. He’s not a racist. He’s a loving man. It’s all lies.”
    [From Vanity Fair]
    First of all, NO. Second of all, CAN WE NOT. Third of all, what is Michelle even doing here? Honey, please just stop for a second! She’s acting like there are merely “rumors” or “gossip” that Liam might have done something. No. He sat there, TWICE, and told the same f–king story about wanting to hunt down and kill any black man he saw and he didn’t even understand why the story was racist. It came out of his mouth, on the record, twice. And if the argument is “anyone who makes out with Viola Davis can’t be racist,” I’m going to say no to that too. Racist men often have sexual relationships with women of color. It’s a thing.

Photos courtesy of WENN, ‘Widows’.

« Previous Post Next Post »

https://www.celebitchy.com/609085/mi...h_viola_davis/
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Just like Nazis didn't line up naked Jewish women in concentration camps and take their pick of the group to rape. I'm sorry, I know that's an extreme example, but what the fuck is her point?
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

That was such a stupid thing for Michelle to say. Really stupid.
    Jadestone, palta and crayzeehappee like this.

She’s an idiot but on a shallow note she looks awesome in that dress and love the short hair on her.
    Waterslide and czb like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

i need to buy something in burn orange!
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Liam Neeson has been lying low and cancelling talk shows. I think the NYC premiere of his movie was cancelled.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Bronze Member

Michelle's comment IS a logical brain fart.... BUT also happens to be, in this context, far less farty (or maybe just 'equally farty') when you consider the similarly ridiculous 'brain fart' logic reasoning behind the claims that Neeson is genuinely racist for having said what he said.

If he were genuinely racist, as the easily triggered, selective word choosing folks are claiming, he would also very likely have issues signing onto a film role where he was required to snog a black chick.....but who knows, maybe these high profile, hidden racists just like money more than their illogical hatred (which would make sense from a hypocritical racist point of view).....or maybe Michelles' brain fart is just a good, if also un-intentional dumb, counter argument to the equally BS reasoning of the other side to this whole nonsense and clickbait diversion posing as a discussion.

But hey maybe i'm just cognitively biased and faux defending (or not outright condemning) the Michelle comment simply cause she actually looks really great in those photos!.....which is a discussion that would probably (and sadly) have more merit than where the current Neeson discussion has been heading.....despite there being good discussions that COULD come from this whole BS 'hookline looking for a story'.

Elite Member

Neeson is not an overt racist, who thinks all black people are so beneath him, that he can't even work with them. Like many other racists he has an us vs. them attitude.

White people are automatically in his us-category, until they do something horrible like rape a friend of his. That's why he asked the victim about the race. He needed to know if someone in his us-category should be moved to his them-category.
    Black people are automatically in his them-category, until he recognises something of himself in them - like being a fellow actor. That's why Viola Davis is in his us-category, but any other black stranger isn't.

It's entirely possible to be racist, while having a black friend, spouse, or even child.

Racists never wanting to kiss or fuck black people is why no mixed race children were born in America during the slavery era

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    She’s an idiot but on a shallow note she looks awesome in that dress and love the short hair on her.
    Her outfit distracted me. She dresses well for an idiot.
    effie2 likes this.

Bronze Member

I think Neeson being cast as genuinely racist is a BIG stretch from what we know and am basing this all on so far (but it sure sounded uncomfortable and potentially offensive.... so let's just burn baby burn anyway!)

I instead saw someone willing to openly discuss the dangers of binary 'them' vs 'us' thinking when combined with the blinding element of revenge/rage..... who also recognised that even HE himself could fall prey to it....which he wasn't exactly proud of (he was probably far too honest during a PR interview for what is likely a shallow/crap genre film).

I just think that Michelle's logic brain fart conclusion (which we're happy to call her an idiot for) follows the same binary logic fallacy in its flawed assessment as the "offended" = "automatically racist" conclusion or other such assessments that are quick to jump to conclusions.....this is the first i've ever heard of old Liam being a racist (unlike all the Hollywood perv stories for instance)....but not that we should conclude anything from that either.

I DO think he likely held xenophobic attitudes in his youth by growing up in Northern Ireland with sectarian 'them' vs 'us' attitudes, which most likely would have also translated into a negative view of ANYONE not being Northern Irish AND especially if not fitting into the approved 'Catholic' or 'Protestant' narrative mould. A protestant (or catholic) in the WRONG place in NI was probably even more likely to face bigotry.

I also think that he likely learnt from these BS attitudes when he realised he was part of a bigger world, which is one of the big differences between Xenophobia and racism, it can be overcome pretty easily with some common sense, some critical thought and some acknowledgement that unfounded paranoia is simply unfounded paranoia which has no place.

Maybe i'm just giving Oscar Schindler and Abe Lincoln too much of a free pass during yet another festive lighting of the torchlights....apologies for being a downer, I just think this whole "is Neeson Racist" thing is yet another 'story' that screams clickbait far more than it does in prompting a serious discussion.....which is not surprising in a world now SOOO motivated by 'hot air' anger and the all important pursuit of internet 'hits'.
    Last edited by secretgoldfish; February 10th, 2019 at 06:35 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information