Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: Liam Neeson sparks race row over rape comments

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    But why telling this anyone? And he said "the black bastard" and I wonder if he would have said "the white bastard" instead if the rapist would have been a white man? There lies my main problem.
    I doubt that he would have done which seems to be the point he was trying to make: he reacted terribly to a horrible situation. The way he described his reaction, and the fact he hadn’t ever told anyone before, seems to indicate his shame about what he thought and did.

If we refuse to acknowledge that racial bias is unfortunately ingrained within our society, and that prejudices can often lie unconscious within many who would be sincerely horrified to think that they could do something racist, then we will never move forward.

I don't get why so many of these "celebrities" seem to have verbal diarrhea and feel compelled to share things that are, at best, controversial. They could just STFU and act or sing or whatever they get paid for. Yes, they have the right to say whatever they want, but everyone else has the right to disagree with them.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

"But my immediate reaction was... I asked, did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person.
    Weird that his "immediate reaction" after asking if she knew who it was, that his next question was "what color were they?" Like that makes it worse than getting raped by a white guy?
    ConstanceSpry and idunno like this.

Maybe he should have kept quiet. But...he might be saying things that others think about.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Liam Neeson is 66 years old and white. I think it's safe to say he probably grew up hearing plenty of racist shit before he was even old enough to process it. Yeah he probably shouldn't have said this. I don't think he's a racist though. I think the realization of the wrongness (and likely not just recently) of this counts for something.

He's probably gonna regret he even brought this up though.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I don’t know. I think part of the issue is we’ve made it impossible to have an honest discussion about racism because if someone admits to it, or to having racist impulses, even if it’s in the past, there’s a knee jerk reaction and people wanting them cancelled. So it’s all swept under the rug. The fact is we’re all racist, to varying degrees, and how can you have an honest discussion about it if people are categorised as either 100% perfectly woke or racist shitheads? What Neeson admitted to is awful but it’s also common, and was even more so when neeson was younger. saying you understand where an impulse comes from isn’t the same as justifying it or saying it’s ok.
    This is the crux of most of the world's problems right now - the tumblr/twitter SJW mobs have killed conversation. They've made an art out of black and white - excuse the phrase - thinking. I was once scolded on twitter for pointing out to someone that a "natural" pencil isn't racist as they were alleging - it refers to the natural color of the wood as opposed to pencils that are painted yellow and that it in no way had anything to do with anyone's skin color. I'm not exaggerating that the first response to my comment was, "If you don't think racism is a problem, you've got a problem."

This board is one of the few places that I will talk about racism in general because I guess it just feels safe here most of the time. I also know that I can ask honest questions without people jumping down my throat. But out there in the wild, not so much. People always say they want more discussion about a lot of things wrong in the world and really they just want to spout from a script. I think most of that is meant to be well meaning and I think most of it comes from understandable anger, but I wouldn't mind injecting some reason into that anger.

Anyway, I saw someone commented on this story and tried to give some background that was not so much defending Liam as it was describing what it was like in Northern Ireland back in the day and it wasn't so much something I hadn't already read about, but it was a good reminder. They pointed out that there were signs that said "No Dogs/No Blacks/No Irish" in stores and that was the general feeling everywhere and you couldn't even be foreign or else you might bring trouble on yourself. I've seen some places in America like that back in the 80s and I think that's partly where this racist conditioning starts - at home and in the community. It really is ingrained. They went into far more detail than that, but that was the gist of it. I really do think it takes a lot to get that out of your head when it's been that pervasive since you were born. (Though it's not an excuse not to get it out of your head.)

And yeah, I'd like for Liam here to be evolved, but this story is pretty insane and his follow up was that he went to a priest and power walked to get over his racism. So, I don't know...He doesn't sound mentally all there to begin with...does he even realize while people are so riled up?
    Last edited by Waterslide; February 6th, 2019 at 01:33 AM.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Bronze Member

Conversation, discussion and word killers, along with their subsequent 'my way or the highway' attitude, have become a massive problem and the con's of them far outweigh the pro's in my opinion, especially in terms of critical thinking (where you SHOULD always question things, even the things you like) and it is made FAR WORSE when a lot of these supposed 'discussions' ALSO act as convenient (and very successful) clickbait for a world obsessed and dominated by statistical hits.....outrage does unfortunately sell and sells really well in this particular environment.

I wish a lot of the folks fighting SJW/slacktivism style were ALSO willing to fight the even greater evils such as 'indiscriminate crime'......you know....like WAR.... where a kid gets bombed FOR NO REASON while simply walking to school.....but that might involve having a harder look at ourselves and our BS justification for things vs the 'feel goods' of fighting 'easy' fights where you're already part of the majority social mindset.

Are we really gonna go 'writing off' Liam for talking about revenge (while out promoting a likely crappy revenge film) and using a crappy story from his past, which he might have actually learnt from and that maybe even shows some basic humility (or simple idiocy)?

Folks in the public eye on are likely going to end up even bigger PR mouthpieces than they already are just to avoid any criticism. We should probably consider staying in the grey rather than the black or white of these binary shutdowns and we should also probably consider CONTEXT when so easily offended by 'words' because the banning of words IS an example of us going backwards as a species at a REALLY alarming rate..... I also really miss George Carlin and his talent for navigating this sort of BS and really don't require a token totalitarian/communist like confession/apology from Liam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUvdXxhLPa8
    Waterslide and lindsaywhit like this.

Getting sick of the call out culture. Its no surprise a rich white old male could be racist.

Wait, so I'm supposed to hate Liam Neeson now for sharing a story of a time in his life he's not proud of and when he really wasn't thinking straight? It was a black person but it could well have been a biker and Liam would have been hanging out of biker bars trying to beat the crap out of a biker. If someone we love is hurt we can't be reasonable.
    Your bum has feelings, your bum is a part of you
    Donít put it on chairs, your bum has an opinion, yeah

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Wait, so I'm supposed to hate Liam Neeson now for sharing a story of a time in his life he's not proud of and when he really wasn't thinking straight? It was a black person but it could well have been a biker and Liam would have been hanging out of biker bars trying to beat the crap out of a biker. If someone we love is hurt we can't be reasonable.
    Targeting random people because of their skin color has a really ugly history in the US. I think that is why people have such a hard time with his admission.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Targeting random people because of their skin color has a really ugly history in the US. I think that is why people have such a hard time with his admission.
    Well, he also came from a country that targeted random people based on the church they walked out of....

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Well, he also came from a country that targeted random people based on the church they walked out of....
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Wait, so I'm supposed to hate Liam Neeson now for sharing a story of a time in his life he's not proud of and when he really wasn't thinking straight?
    And this is the other problem - no, you're not supposed to hate Liam. I keep throwing blame at social media, but it just reminds me of those list articles from places like Buzzfeed: "Ten Reasons Why You Need to Hate Liam Neeson". I feel like the thought police are everywhere online. They write headlines like that with the same authority someone might say, "10 reasons why you should never rinse your pasta". It's manipulation and a peer pressure guilt trip forced down your throat. The point of a rational news article is to present the facts and let the readers make their own judgments, but that line of thinking is going the way of the dinosaur, too.

And the other other thing (because I can't stop talking about this), is that hate is such an extreme thing. You don't have to like him, and I absolutely understand some people hating him for this, but if you hate someone over a mistake they're being honest about, and you've closed the book on them, how does that facilitate change or progress? I guess there is something to say about one mistake versus a pattern of behavior - Mel Gibson comes to mind. How he can still be invited places blows my mind.

On the other hand, I think what Liam said just has a lot of people shocked (me included) because I never thought about him like this, but then again, I really don't know anything about him other than he lost his wife and he normally seems nice and somewhat sane. And like Constance said, hearing what Liam described - even with the explanation that he knew it was wrong - just sounds very wrong. If my neighbor said this, I'd be questioning the fuck out of it, too.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

This was an interesting stat: (source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_in_Ireland)

Northern Ireland. At the time of the 2001 UK Census, of the total population (1,685,267); 255 people described their ethnicity as Black Caribbean, 494 as Black African and 387 as Other Black, meaning that the total Black population was 1,136.

^^^ if that statistic is accurate at all, it would mean that black people were .06% of the Northern Ireland population in 2001.
    BITTER and tulip like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    This was an interesting stat: (source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_in_Ireland)

Northern Ireland. At the time of the 2001 UK Census, of the total population (1,685,267); 255 people described their ethnicity as Black Caribbean, 494 as Black African and 387 as Other Black, meaning that the total Black population was 1,136.

^^^ if that statistic is accurate at all, it would mean that black people were .06% of the Northern Ireland population in 2001.
    But where's the graph/pie Mohandas?
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information