Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: Liam Neeson sparks race row over rape comments

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    He’s not bragging about it, he’s admitting to having had some ugly thoughts and reactions and harbouring racist thoughts and learning from it. Still, it’s a dumb thing to say to a journalist because people don’t do context anymore and he wasn’t all that eloquent about it. Is someone still a racist if they admit to being racist in the past and having learned from their errors?
    I read this three times and I’m pretty sure I understand the context and I did that this just so I wouldn’t be flying off the handle with a kneejerk reaction.

I agree that he was not eloquent about it and I admit that's where I'm getting stuck with this narrative. I understand why he was telling everyone this but I’m conflicted about his saying that he “understands” this so-called primal need to be racist. The story seems to go from, “I was an awful, ignorant person who did racist things to thinking it’s awful now,” without explaining enough of the journey in the middle. If you told me this morning that Liam Neeson is or was a racist, I wouldn’t have believed it or questioned it. But since he brought it up...

Genuine question – I honestly don’t know when we it’s OK forgive someone for past actions. I do believe people can learn, grow, and change, because otherwise, what is the point of life, but I don’t know when we can take people at their word. Lots of other people don’t get passes for saying and doing things like this.
    Nevan and stella blue like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I thought the primal need was violence, revenge, not racism.
    Waterslide, Nevan, tulip and 4 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

You know what? I don't know what to say to this. I don't hate Liam. He's being straight up honest about his issues. We tend to think of our celebs as gods and goddesses. Heaven help us when we find out that they have feet of clay like the rest of us.
    Waterslide, Nevan, Mrs P and 9 others like this.
    "If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased." - Katharine Hepburn

^^^ Ditto. I don't know what to think. I've always loved Liam. And those Northern Irish are built differently, almost like they get a childhood lesson on how to hate a particular group (ie British royalty). I don't think that equates to being racist though. I mean, in the same story, he did say how he realized how wrong it was to feel that way ... not a week or so later after he had been ripped apart in the news. I don't how I feel about this. My likeness for him has definitely taken a major hit though.
    Waterslide, BITTER and mopar like this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

This comment just confirmed he's a bit daft in the brain considering he flew his now deceased wife that had brain injuries to New York instead of being treated in Canada. Oopssies times two.

I remember that. I remember he said it was weird no one knew who he was when he arrived in the emergency room, too. At the time, I defended him as just making a point that he's used to being recognized and that the doctors and nurses were so focused on their jobs they didn't give a fuck that he was an actor and the whole thing was surreal for him. Or maybe he was just dense? Who knows anymore?

If he meant for this to be some sort of learning experience or self-flagellation for past bad deeds, he probably should have saved this story for a Vanity Fair article, or maybe British GQ (I think the articles are better than the US versions), rather than blurting it out randomly at an interview about a movie.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I don’t know. I think part of the issue is we’ve made it impossible to have an honest discussion about racism because if someone admits to it, or to having racist impulses, even if it’s in the past, there’s a knee jerk reaction and people wanting them cancelled. So it’s all swept under the rug. The fact is we’re all racist, to varying degrees, and how can you have an honest discussion about it if people are categorised as either 100% perfectly woke or racist shitheads? What Neeson admitted to is awful but it’s also common, and was even more so when neeson was younger. saying you understand where an impulse comes from isn’t the same as justifying it or saying it’s ok.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^ The fact he has called his reaction both “horrible” and “awful” seems to have been ignored by some.
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Elite Member

Yikes that he admitted this, but I do get what he's saying. It was about that primal, instinctual need for revenge -- not that that is good or healthy either! Just yikes. I don't ever want to get on Liam's bad side, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Yikes that he admitted this, but I do get what he's saying. It was about that primal, instinctual need for revenge -- not that that is good or healthy either! Just yikes. I don't ever want to get on Liam's bad side, that's for sure.
    It's not normal to want to go after anybody that is of the same race as the person you are angry at. That's different to a normal feeling of wanting revenge IMO.

Well we can all admit he fucked up by saying anything whether he admits it was wrong to think it or not. I always tend to lean on the side of you don't really know how you are going to react to something until it happens to you or someone you care about so maybe just give that little grain of salt to someone especially someone who admitted he was wrong to think the way he did.

Guessing his movie is gonna tank though.
    Kittylady likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

^ Yeah, that's what I was thinking. He did the opposite of promoting his movie.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I honestly don't know what to think. He talked about his initial reaction, I fully understand the violent first impulse, it's as human to have it as it's civilized to not act on it. But why telling this anyone? And he said "the black bastard" and I wonder if he would have said "the white bastard" instead if the rapist would have been a white man? There lies my main problem.
    A rapist is scum, no matter what color of skin he is and I don't feel that race adds or takes from that. So why mention it?

But maybe I'm just biased, over here, in the refugees debate, some male white right-wing assholes seem to believe that being raped by a white german is not THAT bad for a german woman, there is the element of "hey, could be worse..." that makes my skin crawl.
    mostroop and ConstanceSpry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    It's not normal to want to go after anybody that is of the same race as the person you are angry at. That's different to a normal feeling of wanting revenge IMO.
    I wouldn’t bring ‘normal’ into it. It’s definitely common and typical of the way racism is expressed to lash out at an entire race of people for the actions of a single individual. If white men rob banks no one says “oh those white men are all bank robbers”, but look at the way young black men are targeted and stereotyped just for wearing a fucking hoodie. Just because a white girl sleeps around doesn’t mean people think all white girls are sluts but look at the way black women are amaren as sexualised, and black girls too. It might happen less than before but it still happens. People still have racial biases, and I think we have to talk about it rather than go into hysterics every time someone admits to it. That just pushes it underground but doesn’t get rid of the bias.
    Last edited by sputnik; February 5th, 2019 at 05:10 PM.
    gas_chick, Sarzy, mostroop and 1 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think also that the interviewer points out he uses air quotes with his fingers to say "black bastard". I think he's depicting a mindset he had at the time that was very ugly and blind with rage and was looking for the first person who he though remotely resembled the attacker. To that extent, it kind of reminds me of the scene in "Irreversible" where Vincent Cassel and his friend beat to death (in front of a bunch of onlookers in a disco) a guy who they mistakenly think raped Cassel's gf. From what I remember, the actual rapist is back in the crowd gleefully watching the mayhem.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information