Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree347Likes

Thread: Leah Remini leaves Scientology after asking about David Miscavige’s wife

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    A few of my guy friends went to schools with the brothers, but we have lots of boys Jesuit schools here too. The guys at brothers schools always complained that the brothers hit, the Jesuits didn't.
    I went to an all-boys high school with Xaverian Brothers. It was actually a pretty liberal environment. You had to wear a tie, but no jacket, no white shirt. And some of the ties were really awful knitted things. In my sophomore year, they switched in a Xaverian Brother principal who was only about 10 years older than us and had just finished his master's at Harvard. He was like the David Letterman version of a principal - in appearance and sarcasm.

But there was a truly terrifying Brother there who taught math. There were stories about him hitting students, and even kids injuring themselves trying to get away from him. I had half a semester of calculus with him and the level of fear and dread in there was like something out of "Saw".

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Every Catholic boy and girl I ever knew would tell me about the nuns whacking their hands. For really bad stuff they'd have to lean over the teacher's desk for a butt whack. Were you allowed to at least say Owwww!?
    In third grade, a nun blindsided me with a whack that literally made me see stars. I really hadn't even done anything that bad - I just happened to speak out of turn while she was right next to me. In a lot of ways, she was really nice, but kind of bipolar with the ragey thing. My brother's first grade teacher at the same school - also a nun - was one of the meanest, most humorless people I've ever seen. She had issues, and my brother said that eventually some mental health guys showed up and dragged her out of the classroom.

There was also a 6th-grade nun who was really mean and would read off your low scores as she gave your exams back, just like Mr. Hand in "Fast Times at Ridgement High".

But we had a genuinely hot nun, too, who every boy was basically in love with. Quite the mix of people.

Oh, one more thing - we had a non-nun teacher who was hot and looked like Joan Jett. But she was so mean, one of my classmates transferred out of school for a year in 5th grade just so he could avoid her. And she would step in when we were playing dodge ball - and use this straight armed throwing technique that would nearly take kids' heads off.

Good times!!!

What was your parent's reaction to your being hit by a nun?

My parents were not religious people, but even if they had been I can't imagine they'd have allowed our teachers to strike us.

Most of my peers that attended religious schools have stories where they were hit though. I dont know if that's still common practice, very few people I know send their kids to parochial schools.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

What was your parent's reaction to your being hit by a nun?

My parents were not religious people, but even if they had been I can't imagine they'd have allowed our teachers to strike us.

Most of my peers that attended religious schools have stories where they were hit though. I dont know if that's still common practice, very few people I know send their kids to parochial schools.
    I don't think I ever told them. My dad made it sound like he got roughed up in catholic school when he was a kid. And since it only happened once, I must have thought of it as a one off.

I didn't complain about the crazy brother in catholic high school. Probably because I had been the one who asked to go there. In retrospect, it seems crazy that I would ask to go to a place with no girls. But it did make me REALLY, REALLY appreciate women.

Where we live now, the public schools are great. However, there are several soccer teammates of my daughter's who go to the same catholic school and they love it. Apparently, the catholic schools here have been good for kids who have had trouble with the public school system.

My grandmother once threatened a nun for laying hands on one of my uncles. She's said to have told her 'if you ever put your hands on one of my children again, that habit won't protect you from me'. As kids we loved hearing that story

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

My grandmother once threatened a nun for laying hands on one of my uncles. She's said to have told her 'if you ever put your hands on one of my children again, that habit won't protect you from me'. As kids we loved hearing that story
    I can imagine how bad it must have been. There was a really cool movie out in the 80's called "Heaven Help Us" about catholic high school in the 1950/1960s. It has Kevin Dillon, Patrick Dempsey, Andrew McCarthy, Mary Stuart Masterson, Donald Sutherland, and on and on. It also showed the generational divide between teachers. One of them was literally emotionally and physically brutalizing students.

George Carlin also talked about going to Catholic school when he was a kid. He said that the nuns would smack your hands with metal rulers and then complain to your parents about your penmanship.
    Honeythorn and Wisher2 like this.

I remember a story my mother told me of how the nuns locked my uncle in the coat closet for acting up. When he wasn't home by dinner, my grandmother went to the school and raised holy hell. They had forgotten about him. He was sleeping in there when they opened the closet.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    The nuns used to smack hands with rulers when I was a kid! I never got my hands smacked. Why? Because I saw other kids get it!

i got hit over the head with a book in the library for kneeling at the filing cabinet. apparently you should only kneel when your praying. oh if that nun could witness what i do when i kneel now! muahahaha!

I got the wooden ruler hand smack numerous times in high school for crimes against baby jeebus such as wearing a tiny silver ring (slut!), wearing pale frosted nail polish (whore of Babylon!) and calling the nuns Jesus groupies (ok I may have deserved that one). My niece now goes to the same school and there are no more nuns and definitely no hitting.

When my mother was at school she had a nun who would sidle up to the students sitting working and pinch their necks, quite viciously, even when they weren't misbehaving, just to keep them on their toes.
    Annika likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I think the nuns earned their reputation many decades ago. My mom went through K-12 in a Catholic school and talked about it often. We had two nuns in my school and I loved them both. There's no way either of them would have mistreated a child. My kids have one nun at their school and everyone loves her. She's very grandmotherly, maybe that's why. Like everything times and behavior change.

Clearly a lot of people (especially here) feel a lot of negativity or hatred for the church. It has been a tremendous source of support, comfort, and love for me and I'm thankful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Melyanna View Post
    ^ I live in Italy, was raised a chatolic like most people in here.

In my opinion, Pope Francis is just the result of good PRs, but what he says doesn't really reflect the way of thinking of the average chatholic, and even of the Church itself: they are often intolerant, quick to judge, selfish, and just overall awful.
    They think more like the Inquisition would have, rather than how Christ originally preached.

Note I said "the average chatholic". I am sure they are not like that, I don't mean to offend anyone in here.

I'm very much an "average Catholic" and I truly don't think anyone would attribute any of those things to me. Sorry you feel that way. Hopefully you meet more who change your mind.
    witchcurlgirl likes this.

czb

never mind ....
    Last edited by czb; September 13th, 2015 at 02:10 AM.

I'm 65 so I was in catholic school in the good old days. Not one nun was ever mean to me. They weren't overly friendly, but I loved that school. Maybe because they were Canadian nuns they were nicer.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Jimmy didn't go to catholic school like his 4 older sisters did because the youngest one got them all kicked out. The nuns couldn't handle her.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

czb

what did she do that made her so difficult?

Not sure, she wasn't bad, more assbergerish.
    czb likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Thread Information