Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Lauren Conrad Faces Huge Backlash For Destroying Books In Craft Project Video

Bronze Member

What's important is the content not the container.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Destroying books pisses me right the fuck off. I am a total bibliophile.
    vouch.

I can't stand to see books destroyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Those pics of fucked up books are kind of giving me palpitations.

I would only approve of desecration if it's total drivel like 50 shades of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    Meh, to her vintage probably just means old. Like Jezi said, just some cheap quarter books from the thrift store. I could probably go into any Goodwill around here and get the entire collection of Lemony Snicket for under $3-5 and not feel bad in the least for chopping them up. In fact, it might be a favor to humanity if I did.
    This book series is not vintage though, by any means. The first one was published in 1999, the last one in 2006. It would be pretty unlikely to find the entire series at any Goodwill stores near me, I know because I've looked for it. Even our recycled book stores charge about $10 per book in the Series of Unfortunate Events, and there's 13 in total. This "craft" would probably run most people close to $100 if they were to use the same books. I understand they wanted the books to be appealing for the youtube video, but its still a waste. I could have used these books in my classroom!

I'm a teacher so of course I love books, but the only ones I'll throw away or cut apart are from the 70s or older. My students aren't interested in them, they're falling apart, and the information is outdated and no longer accurate. Those are the types of books they should have shown in the video since all they needed was some good binding.

Good Lord! It isn't like she was destroying the Gutenberg bible.
    Mrs P and Anoia like this.

Yes, imagine my library of several thousand books, all with dog ears!!!!!

Such a rebel!!! I folded a piece of paper!!!!!!

I've been known to put a book facedown open to the page I last read. There's one book that both my daughter and I are reading and I double dogged eared it!

I wish I had rare first edition books, but I like mindless crap from Target for my travels so they're stacked all over the house, some open some not.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    The only way I'd destroy one is in the case of hoarding like Twitchy mentioned, but they're beyond repair at that point.
    Nope. It was a "clean" hoard. No feces, no rotting food, no dead animals, just dust. The condition was fine. There was just absolutely no value between the covers though. These were not worth reading.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Nope. It was a "clean" hoard. No feces, no rotting food, no dead animals, just dust. The condition was fine. There was just absolutely no value between the covers though. These were not worth reading.
    OK, I see what you're saying. I'm just really weird about books, so cutting them up, etc. freaks me out. I know it raises the question of what to do with all the really bad books no one truly wants, but I can't get past it. I know some used book stores recycle those kinds of books, so I do understand that to a point.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by IheartDior View Post
    This book series is not vintage though, by any means. The first one was published in 1999, the last one in 2006. It would be pretty unlikely to find the entire series at any Goodwill stores near me, I know because I've looked for it. Even our recycled book stores charge about $10 per book in the Series of Unfortunate Events, and there's 13 in total. This "craft" would probably run most people close to $100 if they were to use the same books. I understand they wanted the books to be appealing for the youtube video, but its still a waste. I could have used these books in my classroom!

I'm a teacher so of course I love books, but the only ones I'll throw away or cut apart are from the 70s or older. My students aren't interested in them, they're falling apart, and the information is outdated and no longer accurate. Those are the types of books they should have shown in the video since all they needed was some good binding.

I've seen all of them, recently, in multiple Goodwills around here. They'll run you 50 cent each. New or old, our Goodwills have it. I posted not too long ago in another thread that I've already seen multiple copies of 50 Shades of Grey (the entire trilogy) in a couple of our Goodwills. When there's millions of copies out there, the "specialness" of each copy kind of doesn't mean anything anymore.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Yes, imagine my library of several thousand books, all with dog ears!!!!!

Such a rebel!!! I folded a piece of paper!!!!!!

Early signs of origami.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I should have known this thread was more than just LC's craft moves. You sure do learn a lot about your fellow posters in some threads. LOL

I love to read but detest having too many books in my home, gathering dust. They are meant to be read. When I finish a good book, I pass it on to a friend or donate it to the library.
    Waterslide likes this.

Oh, the humanity!

As a librarian, you constantly have to weed the collection to ensure accuracy and relevancy for your patrons. This means that books will be discarded and destroyed (if they can't be sold, if the library has a Friends group to sell them). If these books were rare and in good condition they would likely not be destroyed. Cutting up your own mass-produced books for a crappy craft project will not deprive future generations of the content of those books. If the crafts that have been shown in this thread were done to books that were not rare, preferably that were otherwise ruined, I have no problem with them. Books are wonderful and important; they inform our lives just by being in their presence, but it is more important that their content live on than the tree pulp it was transported on.

Also, I think books will survive and be used right along with e-books and audiobooks. The codex has been around for thousands of years and the physical pleasure of reading a book is too delicious to die out. I see children every day checking out 20-30 books each. The very sacredness that the members of this forum ascribe to books to will protect them. So long as we don't let the nutjobs burn them and censor them, I don't think advances in technology will lead to their destruction. For the same reason that microfiche is still maintained, books are currently more stable than digital copies.

Thank you for that, Lalasnake! You give me hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    YOU DOG-EARED A BOOK?!!

This video will be even more infuriating years down the road when paper books go the way of papyrus
    The books-as-art were interesting and impressive. One could debate the issues involved with transforming one art form to another, so to speak.

My husband always grumbles when I dog-ear a book. I find it endearing. I should add though, that I only bend the pages in a complete piece-o-shit crap exploitation/suspense/horror type book. Books like that I tend to want to write as "books", quotes intentional. Junk food for the brain! (And reading too many of them MAY make your brain flabby, yep!)

I own thousands of good books and I love them like friends. One of the reasons I paranoically rewired my old house at unpleasant expense was because I was having nightmares about all my books burning up. I did it for myself and my family too, of course, but unlike us, books don't have ears to hear smoke alarms and little feet to run out of burning buildings.

Well, maybe "Alice In Wonderland" does. But anyway.

I have a copy of the 19th century French novel from which the opera "La Boheme" was written. It's signed by the author. My late grandfather bought it in an antiquarian bookshop in Paris in 1922 and gave it to my grandmother for her birthday that year. If somebody defaced it I'd feel a little bit as if my grandparents had died all over again. I know that's a bit theatrical and excessive of me but I can't help it.

Complete crap books like Harlequins are crap, but they have a little bit of the same energy and mythos to them as that leatherbound old copy of "Scenes de la vie de boheme." They are still books. They ARE sacred, because of what they represent. It's the principle of the matter, I guess.

Don't tempt me with yet another piece of auto-written crap by James Patterson and a hatchet, though. My resolve might waver.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

You make a good point Kathy; you can't get an e-book signed. I have a couple of books signed by the author but also I have several where the person who gave the book to me has left a message on the flyleaf. I normally grind my teeth if someone dares write in one of my books but if it was done before I was given it I don't mind. For example, the book I was reading last night had a sweet Happy Birthday message in it from the person who gave it to me and seeing it as I opened the book brought back the memories.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information