Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Lauren Conrad Faces Huge Backlash For Destroying Books In Craft Project Video

Good.

Oh my fuck this thread started off so normal and now I've got to some how figure out how to itch the inside of my brain! I can't even read a magazine if someone has bent the page, nevermind a book!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

That does it! I'm resorting to germ warfare now!

Just Kill Me and Kat Scorp like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Ha! Like she'd recognize a book if it crawled up her hooha.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I know that was addressed to Greys but speaking for me I couldn't do it. Not even if you included the Twishite books as a bonus. There's something about destroying books that feels really wrong to me, regardless of what new depths of drivel they reach.
    I couldn't do it either. The worst thing I would do is donate it to Goodwill or Salvation Army or something.
    Kittylady and Waterslide like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

*Runs out of thread leaving the bunch of book hating psychos behind*
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I love books. I literally have thousands of them. I just don't worship them.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I too love books. I'd hate to see classics and special editions or first prints destroyed, as well as rare or antique books. Or Stephen king.

But books aren't sacred to me. Especially Novels that aren't classics, aren't especially good, are old and/or dated, etc. Or those silly romantic 'novels'.
    OrangeSlice, stef and Mrs P like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I know that was addressed to Greys but speaking for me I couldn't do it. Not even if you included the Twishite books as a bonus. There's something about destroying books that feels really wrong to me, regardless of what new depths of drivel they reach.
    I'm with you. I won't say I'm uber-careful with my books (many of them have been heavily read, re-read, dogeared, highlighted and occasionally been spilled on) but I can't bring myself to throw them out. I still have the same copies of the Little House books that my mom gave me when I was five and they only bear a passing resemblance to a bound book these days.

I used to be horrified at the thought of books being ruined but then I spent a couple of weeks cleaning in the house of a hoarder and after a few days was cheerfully hurling anything burnable on the bonfire. Yes, it was a waste. The whole fucking house was a waste. The whole life was a waste. After you've taken jam packed vehicle loads enough to overwhelm every thrift store for miles around, you start getting a bit meh about 'things'. I look after my books because i wouldn't have got them if i didn't want them. The exception being some beautifully bound crap romance novels that I picked out of a free bin and I've been cutting up and converting into secret hiding boxes for my nephews and nieces.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

I hate you all. **flounces out of thread**
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Books may have been sacred things once but there's so much crap published now and, with rare exceptions, they are easy to obtain. I wouldn't deliberately destroy something rare or old however.

I did love Daniel Handler's response!
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

I don't quite understand (and can't have the volume on at work so sorry if it was explained) but what is her point to this? if it's just to look like there's books on the shelf... why not just stack the f'ng books on the shelf? is it for a hiding place? again, sorry if this was explained.

I think books are sacred. The only way I'd destroy one is in the case of hoarding like Twitchy mentioned, but they're beyond repair at that point. I don't have a problem with people dog-earring their books (as long as it's not on loan from me) or making notes in them even. I can even forgive a coffee stain or two. But destroying them, I just can't do that and making them into a stupid decoration is also not right.

Quote Originally Posted by MsChiff View Post
    I don't quite understand (and can't have the volume on at work so sorry if it was explained) but what is her point to this? if it's just to look like there's books on the shelf... why not just stack the f'ng books on the shelf? is it for a hiding place? again, sorry if this was explained.
    I don't think there is a point, it's just for plain old storage.

I see a lot of stores decorating with vintage books, and as long as I'm not going to send a display tumbling down, I pick them up and look at them. They usually don't have the guts torn out.
    Callalily likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

One of my favourite pubs is like a deranged junk shop when you go in. It's filled with all kinds of bric-a-brac, memorabilia and books and magazines from every era you can think of. Gideon (the landlord) is quite happy for the customers to have a good rummage and a read and that's what makes it so great.

I never throw away a book unless I really, really have to and send them to charity shops whenever I can. Even if I think something is kak there is bound to be someone, somewhere who'll enjoy it.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information