Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Lady Gaga's dog walker is shot, dogs stolen

Elite Member

Apparently french bulldogs are hot items to steal, so it was probably the dogs, and not because they were Gaga's.

Depending on the breed line, puppies can cost anywhere from $1,500 to 10,000+ The average is $2,500.
    Sarzy likes this.

Before COVID, one of my coworkers would bring his French bulldog ("Darcy") in all the time. It was exceptionally quiet and clean and well behaved. Would quietly sleep in the corner during conferences. That being said, I don't find French bulldogs very appealing. They look like they have been bred by chasing parked cars.

Well I've always thought snub-nosed dogs should not be bred, they're rife with health problems and breathing issues with that flat face. It's basically selecting for physical defects that greatly increase probability of major medical problems. And just because some people think they look cute. It's unethical, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Well I've always thought snub-nosed dogs should not be bred, they're rife with health problems and breathing issues with that flat face. It's basically selecting for physical defects that greatly increase probability of major medical problems. And just because some people think they look cute. It's unethical, imo.
    Me too! When I was a kid, my mother brought a dog home. I asked her why it didn't have a tail and she told me that Jack Russells have their tails docked! Jaysus, why amputate a fukkin' dog's tail???????? Cruel and so bizarre.

this.
    french bulldogs are so fucking defective because of all the overbreeding. every frenchie i've known had breathing problems, digestion issues (and smelliest farts ever - they literally smell like something is dying inside them), allergies, etc. they can't even mate properly and have to be artificially inseminated because they're so misshapen from all the breeding and male bulldogs literally can't mount a female.
    levitt and Lalasnake like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My parents' Himalayan kind of reminded me of this. They adopted it from my cousin who was getting divorced and looking for a home for it. It had a non-existent nose, so its eyes were basically in front of the nose. I wouldn't say it had huge health problems per se. It lived until about 15 and was rarely at the vet for any problems. But its eyes were watering constantly, and I have heard it was because an actual (protuberant) nose, like on a tabby, kind of protects the eyes from things that would normally get in them.

Or it was crying because it was depressed after seeing itself in a mirror.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Thankfully the dog walker guy is ok. I just can't get over how they were willing to shoot him for it. And the coordination of a driver, and two men--one per dog--is oddly organized for a dog-napping.
    Just still so odd to me, the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Apparently french bulldogs are hot items to steal, so it was probably the dogs, and not because they were Gaga's.

Depending on the breed line, puppies can cost anywhere from $1,500 to 10,000+ The average is $2,500.
    I have a friend whose daughter is a dog walker near D.C. I think and there was a thread on FB where they were saying dog-napping isn't so uncommon. But shooting somebody 4 times? That is crazy.

I've definitely seen prices like that in other breeds too in my online searches for border collies and australian shepherds. If you're planning to breed and looking for a champion bloodline, maybe. But if you're just looking for a pet, it's kinda nuts.

I don't like any of those flat-faced breeds, dogs or cats. My grandmother used to raise some shi-tzus and you had to be really careful feeding the puppies wet food because it went all up their noses you'd have to clean out their noses every time you fed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Fawlty View Post
    Me too! When I was a kid, my mother brought a dog home. I asked her why it didn't have a tail and she told me that Jack Russells have their tails docked! Jaysus, why amputate a fukkin' dog's tail???????? Cruel and so bizarre.
    Australian shepherds and corgis get their tails docked too. Supposedly in the past it had something to do with their herding, tails got in the way or something, but now it's just breed standard. Poodles get their tails docked too but not to the nub like aussies and corgis.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

^ The original reporting was wrong he was shot once not four times.

I've heard that most Frenchie bitches can't even give birth naturally because of all the inbreeding, poor things
    sputnik and Lalasnake like this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    I've heard that most Frenchie bitches can't even give birth naturally because of all the inbreeding, poor things
    Hang on, are we still talking about dogs now?
    Be excellent to each other.

My Rottweiler has a docked tail. But the person we got her from when she was a baby had already done this to the litter. Rottweilers are working dogs traditionally and I can understand the docking of the tail for safety reasons once upon a time when these dogs were used to do actual work. But doing it today? Purely aesthetics.

I definitely would have kept her tail.

I agree with this assessment of her breed: https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/rottweiler#/slide/1
    Lalasnake likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    this.
    french bulldogs are so fucking defective because of all the overbreeding. every frenchie i've known had breathing problems, digestion issues (and smelliest farts ever - they literally smell like something is dying inside them), allergies, etc. they can't even mate properly and have to be artificially inseminated because they're so misshapen from all the breeding and male bulldogs literally can't mount a female.
    Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    All of this. It infuriates me that great dogs sit in shelters or worse, while outrageous prices are paid to breeders for unhealthy, unnatural breeds.
    tulip, Lalasnake, sputnik and 3 others like this.

Docking tails & clipping ears is illegal in the EU I think unless it's for medical reasons.

The European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals was opened for signature in Strasbourg on 13 November 1987 and entered into force on 1 May 1992. This Convention states that: 'Surgical operations for the purpose of modifying the appearance of a pet animal or for other non-curative purposes shall be prohibited and, in particular: the docking of tails'. At present, 15 of the 27 States in the European Union have ratified this Convention (with or without reserving their position on tail docking) and have prohibited cosmetic surgical operations. In addition, four European States have prohibited these operations, even though they did not ratify the Convention. These policy positions agree with both the current knowledge on tail amputations in dogs and the opinions of official veterinary associations in Europe and North America.

The puppy trade has been big money for gangs & black market traders for years now.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Hang on, are we still talking about dogs now?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information