Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Lady Antebellum changes name to Lady A, denounce former name's association to slavery

Bronze Member

I guess it will affect their fans the most.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    I've probably told this story before, but, oh well... My best friend in 6th grade was Catholic, and she told me my parents weren't truly married because they weren't married by a Roman Catholic priest.

I was thrilled. Having been born a drama queen, here was finally something I could sink my teeth into, and I ran with it - until my mother got a call from the school letting her know I had told all my friends I was illegitimate. My parents didn't do time outs.
    Ma Kitty got the same crap from her Catholic in-laws because she refused to convert and was married in a Methodist church rather than a Catholic one. The MIL even sent her priest after Ma Kitty after my brother and I were born to tell her that we were hell-bound bastards. Funnily enough, as soon as Ma Kitty changed the locks on our Sperm Donor for being a violent cheating scumbag his family decided that the marriage WAS valid after all and sent the priest round yet again to try and forbid her from getting a divorce!

They changed their minds about it being a valid marriage yet again when Sperm Donor was told to marry his affair partner (or else...) by her very Catholic family. They got the full Mass and all the bells and whistles associated with a Catholic marriage service because in the eyes of the church his first marriage didn't count.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

czb

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

i didn't realise, until moving to the US, just how fucked up the South is. and i was very familiar with US culture and i knew that it's more racist - or at least more overtly so - than the rest of the country and more religious and conservative and i knew all the stereotypes about southerners and all that but i didn't know just how deeply entrenched it is or how insanely fucked up education about that period is down there....
    ok - here is my 0.02. i try not to generalize about all of the South that way. i think there are less-racist pockets in urban or university centers, like atlanta, durham, etc. i wouldn't compare cities like that to some place like dalton, cumberland, or a holler in virginia. drive 20 miles outside of atlanta, it's like a big pile of stereotypes. i remember one time i had to give blood (red cross) and i was filling out the form in front of the volunteer. he asked me if i was amurrican and i said Yes. he looked surprised so i asked him, don't i look like one? he and the other volunteer looked at each other and shook their heads. it was pretty funny. but sad. i'm surprised they let this furriner give blood.
    sputnik, weathered1, tulip and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ok - here is my 0.02. i try not to generalize about all of the South that way. i think there are less-racist pockets in urban or university centers, like atlanta, durham, etc. i wouldn't compare cities like that to some place like dalton, cumberland, or a holler in virginia. drive 20 miles outside of atlanta, it's like a big pile of stereotypes. i remember one time i had to give blood (red cross) and i was filling out the form in front of the volunteer. he asked me if i was amurrican and i said Yes. he looked surprised so i asked him, don't i look like one? he and the other volunteer looked at each other and shook their heads. it was pretty funny. but sad. i'm surprised they let this furriner give blood.
    That is appalling... and so very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    oh for sure. large cities - especially coastal ones - are always going to be more cosmpolitan. same with college towns. a friend of mine got a job at duke and i visited her first summer there and the whole area around durham-chapel hill-asheville is basically a liberal enclave. and you can find racist assholes everywhere, including the northeast (hello, boston).
    czb and tulip like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I guess it depends on where you go to school at. I was educated in the South too (born and raised in NC) and I think our history teachers were pretty up front about everything. I never heard it called the War of Northern Aggression in person, only in the movies as a kind of joke. We saw the same picture of the boats and watched some pretty horrific stuff in classes. Maybe I was just lucky with who my teachers were growing up.
    In Virginia, we learned it as the “War Between the States” and also got a narrative about happy slaves who chose to stay with their owners post-abolition. Needless to say, my parents lost their minds and made their opinions VERY known to school administration. Virginia schools (at least mine) were a hot, super racist mess.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

czb

that's good that your parents spoke out.

i'm from the east coast and don't remember hearing about 'happy' slaves. i do remember hearing about slaves who were lost and had a hard time starting over, given no support.

i remember it as the 'war between the states' as well.
    sputnik likes this.

So what is the "A" supposed to stand for? Because it's still the same name, they just shortened it to A, which is still Antebellum. Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I guess it depends on where you go to school at. I was educated in the South too (born and raised in NC) and I think our history teachers were pretty up front about everything. I never heard it called the War of Northern Aggression in person, only in the movies as a kind of joke. We saw the same picture of the boats and watched some pretty horrific stuff in classes. Maybe I was just lucky with who my teachers were growing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    there was an article recently, i forget where, that compared textbooks in different parts of the US and how they handle the civil war and how in the south they leave out a lot of facts so as to not hurt the racists' feelings. it was pretty crazy. sounds like you got lucky.

i didn't realise, until moving to the US, just how fucked up the South is. and i was very familiar with US culture and i knew that it's more racist - or at least more overtly so - than the rest of the country and more religious and conservative and i knew all the stereotypes about southerners and all that but i didn't know just how deeply entrenched it is or how insanely fucked up education about that period is down there. no wonder republicans didn't bat an eye with trump's lies, they've built a society based on 'alternative facts' for over 150 years.
    Mississippi kid here, and we got a pretty thorough education on the time period, to include the horrors associated with slavery. I grew up in an excellent public school system that continues to make national news because of its decision to refuse to draw district lines that would cause it to remain integrated as many Mississippi districts have. My Mississippi History teacher in the ninth grade was an African American male who didn’t sugarcoat anything. He remains a good friend to this day. I know it’s far from the norm in Mississippi, but I will always be grateful for a school district like the one I grew up in.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/sponsore...ducation/1181/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-miss...on-11574424004

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/missi...b0060ccda3df7c
    OrangeSlice, tulip, BITTER and 6 others like this.

A lot of these celebs could care less...speaking out against discrimination gets their names in the paper. And I say this about some of the black entertainers as well...I'm still slightly fuming at Terry Crews' tone deaf statements about white supremacy vs. black supremacy. Don't accommodate - retaliate!!!

I see that people like Darren Criss, Harry Styles and a few others participated in marches and a blind hinted that some of them called each other and they said that they'd meet at some demonstration in LA. Take it all with a grain of salt.
    rollo, holly and ConstanceSpry like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

I know everyone has had different experiences and I wasn't trying to make broad, general statements about people from the south having skewed educations. I know plenty of people (many of whom are on this board) who are southern and obviously not racist and all kinds of people have had skewed educations, myself included, and also ended up just fine and able to think for themselves. There are so many factors in what makes a person a racist, but I'm just repeating some horror stories from some people who lived down there. And racism exists in every state, it's just that some places in the south continue to have it down to a non-science science. And it's just spoken about in more hushed tones in the north.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    @Waterslide ^ Oh, totally my fault. As a born and raised Calvinist, I was a seasoned religious debater, even in 6th grade. I wanted Drama! Adventure! Every book I ever read, (and I'd read more than a few) the child hero had to be somehow an outcast, traumatized, or neglected, or they had to be orphaned. I did love my parents, and they were excellent parents, so that left outcast...
    LOL, that I can understand! But I was a bit scandalized when my parents told me they eloped! I was like...the horror! But I didn't even know what it meant. I just knew it was something naughty people did on sitcoms...I don't think there is an entertainment standard for that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Ma Kitty got the same crap from her Catholic in-laws because she refused to convert and was married in a Methodist church rather than a Catholic one. The MIL even sent her priest after Ma Kitty after my brother and I were born to tell her that we were hell-bound bastards. Funnily enough, as soon as Ma Kitty changed the locks on our Sperm Donor for being a violent cheating scumbag his family decided that the marriage WAS valid after all and sent the priest round yet again to try and forbid her from getting a divorce!

They changed their minds about it being a valid marriage yet again when Sperm Donor was told to marry his affair partner (or else...) by her very Catholic family. They got the full Mass and all the bells and whistles associated with a Catholic marriage service because in the eyes of the church his first marriage didn't count.
    Yeesh! That's draconian! And miserable...when I think back at my Catholic upbringing, it's a wonder I left the church behind considering how much worse other people had it.

About this band...like tulip was wondering...I thought it was dumb to change Lady Antebellum to Lady A because the A still stands for Antebellum. But then I saw this which made me LOL a little. They aren't too bright, nor do they know how to have their lawyers use google, apparently...The ignorance continues.

Lady A Sings The Blues: Lady Antebellum’s New Name Was Already Taken By A Black Blues Singer

June 12, 2020 / Posted by: Mieka

Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds’ spiritual wedding band, Lady Antebellum, just made the decision to remove the spiritual confederate flag from their name and have rebranded themselves as Lady A after “having many honest conversations with some of our closest Black friends.” However, according to Rolling Stone, Lady Antebellum’s best Black friends failed to recommend they Google Lady A before changing everything “on social media and distribution platforms including Spotify and Apple Music, and the group’s website,” because it turns out the name was already being used by Anita White, a Black blues singer from Seattle who has been performing and recording under the name Lady A for over 20 years. If this is not an occasion for an Issa Rae deep, heavy, negro spiritual sigh, I don’t know what is.
    According to Rolling Stone:
    Seattle blues singer Lady A had just gotten off of work on Thursday when a bombardment of phone messages from friends, fans and producers came in all shouting the same thing: Her name had been stolen.
    This Lady A — a 61-year-old black woman whose real name is Anita White — has been playing the blues under the name for more than 20 years. She began singing as a gospel performer at church and started going by Lady A for karaoke nights in the Eighties. She’s released multiple albums with the name, and on top of her day job working with Seattle Public Utilities, she’s gearing up to release another album, Lady A: Live in New Orleans, on her birthday on July 18th.
    Anita told RS that she’s frustrated that nobody reached out to her about using the name Lady A, and finds it ironic that the move was framed as support for racial equality, yet it effectively robbed a Black woman of her identity.
    This is my life. Lady A is my brand, I’ve used it for over 20 years, and I’m proud of what I’ve done,” she says, her voice breaking. “This is too much right now. They’re using the name because of a Black Lives Matter incident that, for them, is just a moment in time. If it mattered, it would have mattered to them before. It shouldn’t have taken George Floyd to die for them to realize that their name had a slave reference to it.
    “It’s an opportunity for them to pretend they’re not racist or pretend this means something to them,” she adds. “If it did, they would’ve done some research. And I’m not happy about that. You found me on Spotify easily — why couldn’t they?”
    Rolling Stone says they reached out to Lady Antebellum and a rep told them the band was “not aware of the other artist and plans to reach out to her.” Shit, they better reach into their purse first!
    “It’s about who is first to use a name. Audience size is irrelevant,” says Bob Celestin, a longtime music attorney who’s represented Pusha T and Missy Elliott. “And the question is, does the original Lady A have a trademark registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office? If she does, she can go ahead and sue Lady Antebellum for infringement. If not, she still has a common law trademark and she can still show that she’s been using the name in commerce — records, posters, tour flyers — for a number of years. She is first to use the mark in commerce, so that gives her a superior right to the name.”
    Celestin adds that if two artists who work in different genres end up with the same name, they can reach a coexistence agreement that allows both groups to market music under the name by acknowledging the slim chance for confusion. “But you could say that blues is the foundation of country, so they’re very close in genre, and if they’re close in genre there’s much more confusion in the marketplace,” he says.
    The ONLY reason I even know who Lady Antebellum is is due to their fashion choices at the County Music Awards when compared to the legends that are Midland who dazzle time and time again. I’m so mad that now if anybody is searching for the music of the real Lady A, they’re going to be drowned in a sea of unimpressive country-lite denim and ruffles. But not today, Satan! Behold, A Lady. #BlackNamesMatter

Pic:Wenn.com
    Flygirl likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post

I find the 2nd marriage in the Church interesting. Would not happen in the US.

Catholic doctrine states that all marriages are with the promise of for life, whether a Catholic ceremony or not. No one, no matter what their religious affiliation or membership, is considered free to contract another marriage if they were married previously. Every prior marriage must be investigated and annulled before a person can enter a new marriage.

Im a VERY lapsed Catholic and spent 12 years in NYC Catholic schools and had the catechism drilled into me daily.

I was always at a loss with my MIL. She was very devout despite having 4 children out of wedlock by a man still married (abandoned that wife and 4 kids).

Eventually he divorced the 1st wife and MIL & FIL had a civil ceremony bc the Church would not marry them as the 1st marriage was not annulled. She was also considered to be in a state of disgrace ( considered an adulteress) and could not receive sacraments until his death. (Pope Francis actually changed that back in 2017)

I was and am flabbergasted that she was so entrenched that she believed she was unworthy to fully participate in her faith.
    sputnik, Kittylady and Waterslide like this.

it's funny how it's always women that assimilate catholic guilt, men don't seem to give a shit. i know lots of cases like your MIL. my dad's cousin married a guy who was divorced with 2 kids. they had a civil wedding because they couldn't have it at church. she's a few years younger than my parents so about 65 and to this day she still carries around a lot of guilt and shame about marrying a divorced man and how in the eyes of god her marriage isn't valid. she's still super religious but she won't take communion because she's 'living in sin'. her husband (the source of her 'sinful' state) couldn't give two shits, her children even less so. but that guilty brainwashing from her catholic upbringing is still there. it's infuriating.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah, my aunt and uncle (my dad's brother) were old school Acadian and had to live in a common law marriage since her ex husband beat her and she left him and couldn't get remarried. She was with my uncle for most of her lifetime, but that's not good enough for the Catholic church. I mean, they were older, and this was way back when, but even in the 80s one of my friends father died and her widowed mother got remarried to a divorced Catholic but they had to have the ceremony in a protestant church because the Catholic church wouldn't give him an annulment. But yeah, I don't get (but maybe I get) why the women usually are the ones to carry around the blame.

On the other hand, my school, besides the HUGE abortion issue, and by comparison to some other Catholic schools, was like a pack of raving feminists. They were always encouraging us to get good grades, never let boys push us around, play all the sports, go to college, get a career, and then think about getting married once all that was in place. I mean, of course, there was still the expectation that you would be married to a man and be a babymaker, but I guess they wanted a well-rounded babymaker. It was a bizarre experience. I mean, all that and we still had to sit in a room and have a grown ass male priests basically tell us not to give blowjobs. One of the most WTF moments of my young life so it was all still not the greatest thing ever.
    sputnik, Kittylady and lindsaywhit like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

i went to two private catholic middle schools. very much against my will. i went to public elementary school and high schools with 3 years of private in between. the middle school i was supposed to go to had a really bad reputation even though it was in a pretty bougie part of town. there were allegedly drug scandals involving the teachers but i think it was an exaggeration and my parents probably freaked out because i was the oldest and we were in a new country. we'd only been in switzerland for a year at that point and it was the early 90s and switzerland had major heroin issues and we had just come from ottawa which was way too boring for drugs. so they sent me to an all girls school run by fucking nuns, and which was definitely more your typical catholic school. the nuns were for the most part raging cunts and so were most of the girls, so i guilted my parents into getting me out of there after a year and they stuck me in another catholic school that was at least closer to home and was mixed, and the kids weren't awful. and other than the monk in wool thigh highs (i wish i were joking) and birkenstocks who taught sex ed one year (i wish i were joking) there was no clergy around and most of the teachers were (thankfully) godless heathens.
    still i was glad to be back in the public system for high school.
    Waterslide, czb and lindsaywhit like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information