Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KT Tunstall agrees to do a nude photoshoot if she's airbrushed

I don't watch American Idol, so I don't about the rules, but don't they need the artist's permission to use their songs on the show? I think that's the reason Big Brother has the rule about no singing or listening to music that isn't on headphones. I know last season, one of the houseguests was singing while cleaning up before a show and BB told her to stop.

Anyone know?

I totally get where she's coming from, and I get fussy about pictures too in some diva-ish moments that don't make me feel good about my self-worth and confidence at times. Yet I'm disheartened to see shame from essentially an average-looking woman who has nothing "bad" or "wrong" per se with her body - except for not being a genetic freak that conforms to our beauty standards. The pity of it is amplified when I think of how she has made her career (and it's not a mainstream one, admittedly, but is a career nonetheless and she has *some* creds) by being quirky, funny, and authentic.

On another note, if the models and other "beautiful people" are regularly being airbrushed and having that toted as the norm, then no one is really appearing in photos; it's just a possible image of what they might look like. I'm reminded right now of that Dove Youtube vid where the model walks in and is transformed with makeup, lighting, and then incredible digital effects.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    I don't watch American Idol, so I don't about the rules, but don't they need the artist's permission to use their songs on the show? I think that's the reason Big Brother has the rule about no singing or listening to music that isn't on headphones. I know last season, one of the houseguests was singing while cleaning up before a show and BB told her to stop.

Anyone know?
    The way I understand it, it has to be cleared with whoever owns the publishing rights. How much say so the artist has, and how much money they receive would probably depend on their publishing agreement.

I know there are lots of artists who lost total control of their own music due to publishing agreements. I believe John Fogerty lost all the Creedence Clearwater songs, which is why he left the music business for a long time. I remember reading he had to pay to play his own songs! And of course there's the partial Beatles catalog that is/was owned by Michael Jackson and Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixiebelle View Post
    Don't know much about her except the song linked above and "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree." And how she bitched when they used it on American Idol, giving her more exposure than she'd ever had.
    actually i liked that song, but i'd never heard it until AI. she bitched about it? LOL like a dumbshit
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^Yeah, she hates American Idol because it's a "puppet show," and she also bitched when Carrie Underwood won a grammy(?) for best new artist.

I can understand her point, but considering the money and exposure AI gave her just from McPhee singing that song, she should be a little less vocal about it, I think. Bet she cashed those royalty checks though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information