Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree343Likes

Thread: Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash

^^^ I read in multiple places that this was Kobe's helicopter, but he didn't fly it. I don't know what's true at this point because you can find ten other articles that refute that. We're not really going to know until the FAA or Kobe's family makes a statement. I could see some arrangement where the chopper was at an airport or some such thing where it could be stored until he wanted a ride and then the pilot would fly it over there and pick him up. If the pilot had to drive in the bad traffic to get to Kobe's house, it would kind of make having a helicopter moot. I read where the manufacturer said that this particular helicopter was supposed to have two pilots and obviously this didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Yeah, that was Vic Morrow and two small Asian children, I think. His character was supposed to be a racist who gets thrown into a situation that helps him see what an a-hole he was. Then, he is supposed to rescue two small children in 'Nam in the climax. But there was an accident with the helicopter they were using and it basically crashed onto Morrow and the kids, killing them. People held the director Jon Landis mostly responsible and there was some kind of trial. I think he was persona non grata for a while, but then recovered with the "Thriller" video and then "Coming to America".
    Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    Kobe Bryant and Wife 'Had a Deal That They Would Never Fly on a Helicopter Together': Source

https://people.com/sports/kobe-bryan...pter-together/
    I will never, ever forget that incident. And I will forever hate Landis for this. I try to avoid his stuff like the plague, but sometimes I don't realize he's involved until it's too late. Those two kids were working at night and being paid under the table against union rules, and just general human rules. The helicopter was flown by someone capable who was a Vietnam veteran. Landis had explosions go off while the chopper was hovering over Morrow and the two children, which I remember reading that the pilot said he never agreed to explosions that close to the aircraft. But Landis did what he wanted. This happened in California, even though it was a Vietnam jungle in the movie. Morrow and the little boy were decapitated and the little girl was crushed by the helicopter. Obviously, all three died instantly. The trials lasted 10 or 12 years and everybody was acquitted in the criminal trials which was a travesty. Stephen Spielberg was friends with Landis and he was co-producing the film, but he ended their friendship after the ... I don't even want to say accident because there was soooo much negligence. Here's a description:

The filming location was the ranch Indian Dunes that was used through the 1980s in films and television shows, including The Color Purple, Escape From New York, MacGyver, and China Beach. The location was within the 30-mile zone, its wide-open area permitted more pyrotechnic effects, and it was possible to shoot night scenes without city lights visible in the background. Indian Dunes' 600 acres (2.4 km2) also featured a wide topography of green hills, dry desert, dense woods, and jungle-like riverbeds along the Santa Clara River which made it suitable to double for locations around the world, including Afghanistan, Myanmar, Brazil, and Vietnam.[2][8]The night scene called for Morrow's character to carry the two children out of a deserted village and across a shallow river while being pursued by American soldiers in a hovering helicopter. The helicopter was piloted by Vietnam War veteran Dorcey Wingo.[9][10] During the filming, Wingo stationed his helicopter 25 feet (7.6 m) from the ground, while hovering near a large mortar effect; he then turned the aircraft 180 degrees to the left for the next camera shot.[11] The effect was detonated while the helicopter's tail-rotor was still above it, causing the rotor to fail and detach from the tail. The low-flying helicopter spun out of control. At the same time, Morrow dropped Chen into the water. He was reaching out to grab her when the helicopter fell on top of him and the two children. Morrow and Le were decapitated by the helicopter's main rotor blades, while Chen was crushed to death by the helicopter's right landing skid; all three died instantaneously.[5]
    At the trial, the defense claimed that the explosions were detonated at the wrong time. Randall Robinson was an assistant cameraman on board the helicopter, and he testified that production manager Dan Allingham told Wingo, "That's too much. Let's get out of here," when the explosions were detonated, but Landis shouted over the radio: "Get lower... lower! Get over [lower]!" Robinson said that Wingo tried to leave the area, but that "we lost our control and regained it and then I could feel something let go and we began spinning around in circles."[12] Stephen Lydecker, also a camera operator on board, testified that Landis had earlier "shrugged off" warnings about the stunt with the comment "we may lose the helicopter."[13] Lydecker acknowledged that Landis might have been joking when he made the remark, but he said: "I learned not to take anything the man said as a joke. It was his attitude. He didn't have time for suggestions from anybody."[14
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    I've been sad about what happened but he has been off my radar since his early days and the rape trial. I haven't cried, but this made me tear up too.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    People are flawed and complicated. We don't really know if he'd learned from his past and grown and changed as a person. It doesn't make this any less tragic. 9 people died in a horrific accident. When tragedy like this strikes I always think about the victims loved ones. How do you reconcile something so fleeting -- here one minute, gone the next? The shock must be unbearable.
    I am such an empath. When I heard about the accident, I immediately thought of Vanessa. I remember the rape trial (who didn't?) and I remember what he put Vanessa through. And that huge purple rock that he gave her to make up. She was soooo young and I believe that Kobe was her first boyfriend, so he's all she's ever known. She still has three beautiful daughters that need her. I can't imagine the pain they're in. Their youngest won't even remember him. His third daughter is around three years old and she might retain some memory, but that's a tough age for that. They got met when Vanessa was 17 and got engaged six months later. They married a year after that. Something I wasn't aware of .... his family and advisor boycotted the wedding because they thought he was too young to get married, especially to a non-black girl. Something else that I didn't remember .... Vanessa filed for divorce in 2011, but they reconciled about a year later and she withdrew the divorce papers.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Can they sue Kobeís estate even if he didnít own the helicopter?
    This will be made clear in the coming weeks, months. We don't know for sure who owned the helicopter (I believe Kobe owned it) and he wasn't flying it. I did read though that the pilot was given some kind of special flight rules because of the weather. You can even see in the aftermath of the crash that it was very foggy and there's mountains all over the place there. And given the world we live in, even if it wasn't Kobe's fault, his estate will be sued over and over because that's the biggest money pot in this accident. Hopefully it will be quick and painless (not in front of a judge) because all parties need to heal. I almost kind of hope that they find mechanical failure because then there's little blame for any of the people that were on the helicopter that day. It's such a shame.
    Brookie likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Per the New York Times:

Owner: Island Express Holding, a company based in Van Nuys, Calif., according to federal registry data. A sibling company, Island Express Helicopters, also known as IEX, flew the helicopter as part of its charter fleet.

History:
    Mr. Bryant had often flown in the helicopter before. For much of his playing career with the Los Angeles Lakers, he commuted to home games at Staples Center by helicopter. He began calling his ride the “Mamba Chopper.”

For his final game in April 2016, he made the trip in the same S-76B that crashed on Sunday; its fuselage had been decorated for that occasion with a black snakeskin pattern and Mr. Bryant’s
    personal logo. A former Island Express pilot told The Los Angeles Times that the “limo-esque” helicopter was a favorite of Mr. Bryant.

The aircraft also appeared, in its more usual blue-and-white livery, in photos with other celebrities — including Lorenzo Lamas, the actor turned pilot, and the singer Ashanti — that were posted on social media in recent years.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/27/u...elicopter.html

so far it seems like the only unknown is whether Bryant chartered the helicopter or leased it full time, which might make a difference in terms of whether or not his estate can be sued.

fgg, Nevan, ADel and 1 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

https://www.instagram.com/p/B77K8XWD...on_share_sheet

vanessabryantVerified

My girls and I want to thank the millions of people whoíve shown support and love during this horrific time. Thank you for all the prayers. We definitely need them. We are completely devastated by the sudden loss of my adoring husband, Kobe ó the amazing father of our children; and my beautiful, sweet Gianna ó a loving, thoughtful, and wonderful daughter, and amazing sister to Natalia, Bianka, and Capri.
    We are also devastated for the families who lost their loved ones on Sunday, and we share in their grief intimately.
    There arenít enough words to describe our pain right now. I take comfort in knowing that Kobe and Gigi both knew that they were so deeply loved. We were so incredibly blessed to have them in our lives. I wish they were here with us forever. They were our beautiful blessings taken from us too soon.
    Iím not sure what our lives hold beyond today, and itís impossible to imagine life without them. But we wake up each day, trying to keep pushing because Kobe, and our baby girl, Gigi, are shining on us to light the way. Our love for them is endless ó and thatís to say, immeasurable. I just wish I could hug them, kiss them and bless them. Have them here with us, forever.
    Thank you for sharing your joy, your grief and your support with us. We ask that you grant us the respect and privacy we will need to navigate this new reality.
    To honor our Team Mamba family, the Mamba Sports Foundation has set up the MambaOnThree Fund to help support the other families affected by this tragedy. To donate, please go to MambaOnThree.org.
    To further Kobe and Giannaís legacy in youth sports, please visit MambaSportsFoundation.org.

Thank you so much for lifting us up in your prayers, and for loving Kobe, Gigi, Natalia, Bianka, Capri and me. #Mamba #Mambacita #GirlsDad #DaddysGirls #Family ❤️[COLOR=rgba(var(--f52,153,153,153),1)]15h\

[/COLOR]

From Vanessa's Instagram. So very sad.
    fgg, sprynkles, Bluebonnet and 3 others like this.

It's unbearable to read, especially the pic.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Elite Member

I read a BI yesterday about a baby mama already coming forward to make sure her $$$ train doesn't end with his death. Vanessa dealt with a lot in that marriage. Eeks
    Brookie likes this.

This is what I was talking about earlier. His longtime girlfriend and alleged true love has been semi-public for years, I’ve known about her for years as does everyone around here. The child I heard about for the first time a year or so ago.
    Brookie, fgg and Shinola like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

^^ Wow. I don't know how a Vanessa or anyone can deal with all of that. Deal is the only word I can think of. Is it strength? Is it partial disinterest if your spouse has another life? And then you have another baby? I do not know how this works. Did she ever have all of him? Was she ever truly happy and content during the course of their relationship? I think I'm saying I couldn't be looking over my shoulder all the time.
    sprynkles, palta, Brookie and 2 others like this.

I really don't know anything about basketball, Kobe or any of the players but Vanessa's post got me in the feels.
    rollo likes this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Yeah, it's been known for a while he has children with at least one side-chick. There have been multiple threads created on Lipstick Alley for many years now, way before his death. Apparently he has two, a boy and a girl with a light-skinned black woman. Vanessa knows about them as well and sometimes they attended his games. But if Vanessa sees the side-chick, Vanessa can be seen rolling her eyes at her. Somebody also dug up this article:

https://newsone.com/1745605/kobe-bry...ith-105-women/

^I would not be able to sleep with my husband knowing all that, if true.

Seems Vanessa was well paid for her tolerance.
    fgg, effie2 and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

fgg

^and the others well paid for their silence?
    Brookie likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

if vanessa stayed after the rape accusation, it's pretty clear she would put up with anything. i feel so sad for her losing her daughter but at the same time i can't help but side eye women who stay with men like that, especially if they have kids, because it's basically teaching kids that this is normal. how are any of his daughters supposed to have healthy relationships with men if they grew up in a house where their dad did whatever the fuck he wanted with whoever the fuck he wanted, and their mom just put up with it in exchange for expensive jewellery?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Most likely.

I've read that a lot of guys who keep that scenario really do love their families and are "good" husbands/fathers. They're just foundationally unable to be faithful (Royal Family anyone?). So if/when you marry someone like this, you accept the entire package. Vanessa never had to stay (nobody HAS to), but the perks were obvious. It does make me wonder how many other celebrities have a similar life - I'm famous, I'm rich, I do what I want, when I want, and if you don't like it - it doesn't matter.
    Trixie, palta, czb and 2 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread Information