Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree375Likes

Thread: Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash

Elite Member

People are flawed and complicated. We don't really know if he'd learned from his past and grown and changed as a person. It doesn't make this any less tragic. 9 people died in a horrific accident. When tragedy like this strikes I always think about the victims loved ones. How do you reconcile something so fleeting -- here one minute, gone the next? The shock must be unbearable.

A lot of my thoughts are with the two kids who lost their parents and sister. At their age, this is nothing you ever would plan for.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    Thank you for posting this. The famous athlete and his family do not matter more than any of the other people suffering because of this tragedy. Two children in the Altobelli family are now orphans. Christina Mauser had three children who are left without a mother, and a bereft husband will now have to raise them on his own while he deals with their grief on top of his own. Payton Chester's brothers have lost their sister and mother; her husband lost a daughter and a wife. Parents who have outlived their children. Parents whose whose children had shown all kinds of potential that they will never get to see fulfilled. Siblings who will forever be left with a hole in their hearts. They had family. They had friends. The Bryant family's grief matters. And so does the grief of those who loved the Altobellis, the Chesters, Christina Mauser and Ara Zobayan.

I agree with Ravenna. I'm ambivalent about Kobe and I've never liked the whitewashing of people's pasts after they die, but this was a horrible and shocking accident and my heart breaks for all the victims' families and friends. Even feeling as I do about Kobe, when I saw a pic of him leaning over Gianna when she was little, I almost cried. The fact that there are multiple families who lost more than one member in this crash is devastating, but I also don't want to make it seem like I feel that families who lost only one member are facing less grief. It's just all-around horrible.
    Lalasnake and tulip like this.

There is a headline right now on Yahoo that says "Sadly, trying to be a good dad cost Kobe his life" People are trash. Who would say that
    holly likes this.

fgg

^i don't see anything wrong with that headline. there are stories where kobe said he used the helicopter to make sure he was able to be at his kids activities while still doing his own work. he missed performances before due to the LA traffic.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    He admitted later that it WAS rape. The victim won a civil suit after dropping criminal charges against him.
    I read she dropped the criminal charges because she was getting death threats.
    Brookie and Lalasnake like this.

it's a weird and ridiculous headline, any way you read it. he could have crashed and died on a helicopter ride on the way to a business lunch and no one would say "doing his job killed him". plus, being a parent is part of "his own work", the headline makes it seem like being an involved father was some kind of elective hobby. pretty sure if vanessa had crashed no one would be saying that being such a great mom cost her her life, they'd probably be blaming her for using helicopters to take her kids to sports practice, instead of a van like regular soccer moms.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by BrowFilla View Post
    Countdown to the estate battles in 3, 2, 1...
    and countdown to the major lawsuits getting fled against his estate by the other victims families. This terrible nightmare will be held up in court for years I expect. Itís pretty common practice to sue an estate in order to recover expenses, etc. itís not like itís specifically personal against Kobe, the attorneys follow the money. Not sure if they will get anything but I will assume they will try.
    Brookie, Jadestone, fgg and 1 others like this.
    Until the end of time. I'll be there for you. You own my heart and mind. I truly adore you
    -Prince Rogers Nelson

Christina Mauser's husband Matt gave an amazing interview with Anderson Cooper: https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/0...-vpx-ac360.cnn

Matt Mauser performs tributes to Frank Sinatra as Matt Mauser and the Big Sinatra Band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytgF...ature=youtu.be

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnygirl View Post
    and countdown to the major lawsuits getting fled against his estate by the other victims families. This terrible nightmare will be held up in court for years I expect. It’s pretty common practice to sue an estate in order to recover expenses, etc. it’s not like it’s specifically personal against Kobe, the attorneys follow the money. Not sure if they will get anything but I will assume they will try.
    guaranteed they will get money from kobe's estate.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Can they sue Kobe’s estate even if he didn’t own the helicopter?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I have pretty mixed feeling about Kobe. He was an ass on the court but also an undeniably great basketball player. I'm from Portland and our fans HATED him. The way his lawyers handled the rape case was pretty appalling - saying the name of the victim in court when they weren't suppose to. Maybe it didn't start out as rape but it sounded like it got very rough and she wasn't okay with that and he kept going.

Listening to interviews with him and other people in his industry talk about him, though, sheds a different light onto him. He does seem like he matured and was a great dad and a really good person. He supported and highly promoted women's sport - and not just professional athletes - but also college players who he would mentor. Supposedly he took the time to actually talk to people and would then follow up with phone calls and text messages, when I'm not sure all professional athletes do that sort of thing.

I'm mostly heartbroken for the loss of those 3 young girls who all had so much potential ahead of them. How devastating for all the families involved.

yeah he has a complicated legacy, and it's ok to acknowledge that. what i hate are the extremes - the people who think any mention of the negative is an insult and that if someone famous dies you should only remember the good, but also the other side that thinks that if a person did one bad thing it cancels out all the rest of their achievements.
    Penelope, fgg, weathered1 and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    guaranteed they will get money from kobe's estate.

No, they won't. There is no cause of action. Now the helicopter company is going to belong to the victims' families when all is said and done.

Last night my son reminded me of the time we saw Kobe live when the Lakers played the Denver Nuggets not long after the criminal case in Colorado was dropped. It was a big hype about Melo vs Kobe. It was a great game to watch and I remember Kobe being hyper-focused. A lot of people in my section were yelling rapist at him every time he came to the basket on our side and it was like he couldn't hear them at all. In any case we enjoyed watching him.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information