Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Kid Rock shares thoughts on guns, abortion and same-sex marriage

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    thanks for the info guys! It sucks that I finally figured out something that works pretty fast, but it's not likely to be an option for me when I want a refill.
    There is something that may help you ... I find it depends on the person. Most doctors will prescribe this if they know you. Mostly because it's topical. They're called Lidocaine patches. I normally take 10mg of Percocet when needed, just because I've taken it for so long and my pain is that bad. The Lidocaine patches DO give me a bit of relief though. You have them on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours and repeat, and you can have up to five patches on at once (depending on where you have to apply it, it can be a PITA, especially if it's a joint or somewhere near your hair). And they're big too ... about the size of a small Kindle Fire. My soon to be ex also has back problems and uses these (they completely take the pain away for him, at least for 6-8 hours) and he'll cut them in half and then try and seal them up as best he can for later use. Just one con ... they have a jelly/very thin foam like back that is sticky, if that makes sense .... and you'll yip from the coldness of it when you first apply it, even if you know it's coming. My H puts them in the microwave for 15 seconds but my doctor said not to to do that. I think the brand name is Lidoderm. Talk to to your doctor to see if he'll give you these instead. Mine gives me boxes of them at a time, even since they passed that law (thanks czb!! I was having trouble explaining it and was being lazy. I just knew that when the law went into effect, it had all the doctors that I know and that work at H's hospital all aflutter). I hope they work for you!!!
    dexter7, Novice and Callalily like this.

czb

^^^ you need to be careful when nuking these or cutting in half. i *don't* know specifically about the pain patch you are referring to, but changing the formulation (but cutting/exposure to heat, cold/etc) can reduce efficacy. that's why drug manufacturers have specifics about storage.
    sluce, Nevan and Callalily like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    There is something that may help you ... I find it depends on the person. Most doctors will prescribe this if they know you. Mostly because it's topical. They're called Lidocaine patches. I normally take 10mg of Percocet when needed, just because I've taken it for so long and my pain is that bad. The Lidocaine patches DO give me a bit of relief though. You have them on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours and repeat, and you can have up to five patches on at once (depending on where you have to apply it, it can be a PITA, especially if it's a joint or somewhere near your hair). And they're big too ... about the size of a small Kindle Fire. My soon to be ex also has back problems and uses these (they completely take the pain away for him, at least for 6-8 hours) and he'll cut them in half and then try and seal them up as best he can for later use. Just one con ... they have a jelly/very thin foam like back that is sticky, if that makes sense .... and you'll yip from the coldness of it when you first apply it, even if you know it's coming. My H puts them in the microwave for 15 seconds but my doctor said not to to do that. I think the brand name is Lidoderm. Talk to to your doctor to see if he'll give you these instead. Mine gives me boxes of them at a time, even since they passed that law (thanks czb!! I was having trouble explaining it and was being lazy. I just knew that when the law went into effect, it had all the doctors that I know and that work at H's hospital all aflutter). I hope they work for you!!!
    thanks for the advice! I'm writing it down. I see my doctor next month.
    Nevan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    The DEA has curtailed most doctor's ability to write scripts for pain meds in the last year or two. They can get away with post op pain meds, but that's about it and it better be for time specified in guidelines. They make you go to pain management doctors and I can't imagine ever wanting to get in that field. My soon to be ex works at a large hospital and there are four pain management doctors within about a 15 mile radius that had their licenses suspended over the last year.
    Ok. Interesting.

I had chronic pain for a number of years & still have a large "stash" of class 1 pain pills. I just never got around to throwing them out after surgery.
    also, day 2 after surgery I wa refusing pain pills so the medical staff thought that there was something (mentally) wrong with me as I'd just had major surgery. My answer to their questions was "it doesn't hurt as much now as it did before (the surgery)" so I can completely understand the process of getting addicted.
    Having said that I damaged my knee recently & came out of the drs with 200+ codine tablets, most of which are languishing in my medical cabinet (brilliant for sinus infections when I need to sleep & my back since my RTA).
    i opened the bag from the pharmacist & couldn't believe my eyes.

Oh! Cocaine = Novacaine. They stopped using the cocaine derivative/derived drug a number of years ago in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Its easier to score heroin here too. And it's much cheaper than prescription opiates are.

I believe soft drugs should be legal, but not opiates. I've seen too much damage from them, both street versions and prescriptions.
    And not just the users but the whole international funding terrorism (not just Al Kieda but the IRA, IS, etc) foreign policy.
    Most people don't know that the Talban banned poppy growing as its anti-Islamic. The field s are back now.....
    witchcurlgirl likes this.

I would recommend never throwing out your "stash" novice (unless you are worried you or someone who lives with you might have addiction problems). I have never used/needed any of the "strong" stuff I have been prescribed, most of the time I throw it out. However, now that this chronic pain problem has arisen, I am thankful I have something to turn to (even though it is leftover unused stuff from 2 years ago). Experiencing stuff like this does NOT help my hoarder tendencies though!
    Novice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ you need to be careful when nuking these or cutting in half. i *don't* know specifically about the pain patch you are referring to, but changing the formulation (but cutting/exposure to heat, cold/etc) can reduce efficacy. that's why drug manufacturers have specifics about storage.
    Yes, I know. Since the soon to be ex has worked in at least management at this hospital since he started there 27 years ago (he's now at executive level ... his head barely fits through the door), he thinks he's a doctor too. I don't cut them *usually*, only when I need it in a place where a rectangle doesn't work. I'll have to remember to ask my doctor or pharmacist about it next time I see one of them. I still have tons of them left and have refills. I often forget about them because it's easier to swallow a pill, but I'm trying to cut down on the shit that goes through my liver (meds for panic disorder and insomnia) so I'll have to bring them out to start the new year. I definitely don't nuke them either, I just yip when I first slap it on. The most I've used at once are three (two on lower back and one on my shoulder blade) and the relief was enough that it took more pain away than I expected, but had no side effects whatsoever. Again, the box says you can use up to five patches at once and I know I'm on a higher dose, so I wouldn't expect any ill effects (like woozy or itchy (I'm slightly allergic to something in Percocet that makes me itchy, but not enough that I would stop taking one if I needed) or anything else). They do have specific instructions and are in a thick foil pack, so I'm sure there's a reason for that. Thanks czb for the reminder.
    Novice likes this.

I would recommend never throwing out your "stash" novice (unless you are worried you or someone who lives with you might have addiction problems). I have never used/needed any of the "strong" stuff I have been prescribed, most of the time I throw it out. However, now that this chronic pain problem has arisen, I am thankful I have something to turn to (even though it is leftover unused stuff from 2 years ago). Experiencing stuff like this does NOT help my hoarder tendencies though!
    I had to force myself to chuck out my ex's Endone leftover from his knee surgery, because I knew if I popped one I might like it too much. Plus I saw how bad it was for his insides (he passed out on the loo) and no amount of chemical bliss is worth feeling like you're trying to pass a block of cement.
    Sassiness likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Opiate constipation and opiate itch. Very common.
    Novice likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yes, totally agree with this. Even if they're "expired", the most I've had happened is that they lost a little bit of potency (and that's according to my doctor AND pharmacist). I fall down a lot (seriously) and I've been to doctors to find out why. No one can figure it out. It happens a lot in the shower .... I'll soap my hair up (with my eyes closed, obviously, and forgetting I'll break my butt) and turn to grab the bottle of body wash and almost fall over (I have fallen completely over a few times). Or I have trouble walking down stairs. Hell, I have trouble sometimes walking on a flat floor in bare feet. I swear it's just some neurological thing (I can't even count how many brain MRIs I've had in my life) or some stupid ear thing, but NO ONE can figure it out. Anyway, my point is I've injured my ankle badly twice in the last month (this same ankle has been injured dozens of times over the years). The first time was NOT my fault .... my kid ran out of the shower naked and wet (forgot his towel) and the tile in our hallway is hunter green so I couldn't see the wet puddles and slipped and sprained my ankle. It was just feeling better, I went to court and had to walk a long distance and in front of several attorneys and a bunch of sheriff's officers, my ankle gave out and folded over to the outside. My outside ankle bone is like a goose egg, but there's no swelling or even bruising anywhere else. I never even bother to go to the doctor any more, just use stashes of old pain med scripts or just deal with it. Don't throw them away!!

I always get the side eye from strangers when stories like this come up in conversation and I say that I've been on Percocet off and on for 20+ years (starting from a bad car wreck) and almost always have some in a cabinet somewhere, but I have *never* been addicted to them, can take them or leave them (unless I'm in severe, serious pain which is why I have them) and have gone months and years without taking the ones in my "stash". There's a way to be responsible about it, unfortunately the temptation is too much for most people and they get addicted. My sister just gave her "stash" from her last childbirth (3+ years ago) to my dad, who has had ongoing back problems and just threw his back out again to get him through the holidays until he could get to his doctor. If you're responsible enough and keep them in a safe place, you never know when they could come in handy.

gosh you guys are making me paranoid! I'm looking up signs of opiate addiction! (I don't think I even realized that loratab contained opiates). I know the pill knocks me out a bit when I take it, but I don't ever recall feeling "high", satisfied, etc. from taking it. I appreciate the sense of drowsiness, because by the time I take it, the pain is too intense to sit and manage day to day life. However, to be honest, if I am already awake and the pain starts to come, I can take an 800 mg ibu and be done with it. I only take half a loratab when the pain wakes me up in the middle of night (quite seemingly out of nowhere), because by that point, experience has shown it is too late to try and expect the ibu to take care of the pain.

I think I will start a pain management thread in the health section. Because I am curious if there are any "safe" prescription pills to take for chronic, moderate-severe pain. Mind over matter and meditation are not really my preference for dealing with pain. No offense to healthy, crunchy, de-tox types. Much respect to all who live that way

Opiates make me sick. Chills and nausea.
    Bombshell and Novice like this.

^^^ My pain management doctor says that is a classic sign that you are taking too much. Try breaking it half. They usually have a score mark, but you can do it easily with a sharp knife and just press down hard. Some people just have very low tolerances to opiates (I think that's a GOOD thing!) and you probably fit in that category.

Silver Member

yeah if you heat up those lidoderm patches, it releases the medicine quicker. not good. my box only says 3 patches, though. hmph!

IMO pain management clinics create addicts and cause more harm than good.
    Trixie and Nevan like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I agree with that, Sluce. But since the DEA has curtailed regular doctors from prescribing pain meds, there's really no other alternative.

I live in a really weird area. Two miles in one direction are basically slums. Two miles in the other direction, there are many multi-million dollar homes. There are two methadone clinics near me (near the slum side) that have people lined up every time I pass them. It's basically, IMO, the same thing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information