Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Kesha denied split from Sony, abuse allegations yet to be addressed

Clive sounds like an awful person.

Kelly was still very young when she won Idol and naive of the music industry.

And Kesha has family who have worked in the music industry for years.

"Pebe Sebert is best known for co-writing number-one hits for Dolly Parton, Pitbull and Kesha. Sebert and Kesha have written 11 released songs together. The songs Sebert wrote for other artists have combined sales of over 8 million copies in the United States alone."
    arie_skop likes this.

Novice - no one is saying Kesha had no idea of what she is signing. Many have pointed out that other new artist have signed crappy deals too. This case is about abuse. If he drugged her, and raped her, should she have to honor the contract? Personally, I believe the contract should be kept as long as she doesn't have to work with Dr Luke. The criminal case is a separate issue.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

The discussion was that she, too had a crappy long contract that other bands without the contacts and knowledge of the industry are usually suckered into. If one comes from an industry background one usually has enough industry contacts to find a decent entertainment lawyer who would warn against this type of contract if possible.
    Its not like me she was a nobody from nowhereville, she should have had access to decent advice or at least people around her with industry experience.
    So she had the (contract) advice. Also, usually people know or have heard rumours when in an industry, however, her connections might have only been in country music; so if he had a reputation she might have heard of it.
    Obviously there is the possibility that Kesha's allegations are not based in fact, in which case, she could be ruining a person's reputation.
    She has made allegations, then sworn in depositions that he never assaulted her, then accused him again - its messy.
    NickiDrea and soogar like this.

Sony Breaks Their Silence About Why They're Not Breaking Kesha's Contract With Dr. Luke

Ever since the supreme court ruled that Kesha was still bound to her contract with Dr. Luke, Kesha's peers have been doing what they can to support the pop star. Taylor Swift donated $250,000 to help with her legal fees while producers like Zedd and Jack Antonoff have offered her their services for free.

But none of Kesha's peers can give her what she really wants: to be free of her alleged abuser, Dr. Luke. Many fans have been wondering why Sony can't just move her from her current Dr. Luke-owned label Kemosabe Records, to another one of Sony's many labels. She pretty much asked for as much in her recent Facebook letter to fans, writing, "I would be willing to work with Sony if they do the right thing and break all ties that bind me to my abuser."

A lawyer for Sony has spoken out for the first time and explained exactly why they can't do that.

"Sony has made it possible for Kesha to record without any connection, involvement or interaction with Luke whatsoever ," the lawyer explained to The New York Times. "But Sony is not in a position to terminate the contractual relationship between Luke and Kesha."

Sadly, the only person who can terminate her contract is Dr. Luke himself.

"Sony is doing everything it can to support the artist in these circumstances, but is legally unable to terminate the contract to which it is not a party," their lawyer explained.

Unless Dr. Luke releases Kesha from her contract, she'll sadly be forced to put her music career on hold and fight her way out of it in court. This situation is so sad.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Ouch. As if Dr. Luke (ridiculous name) needed to look like more of an asshole. This is typical abuser behavior, no? Mine. Mine. Mine. I'd rather break the toy than let anyone else play with it.

"I'm going through some personal things": Kesha chokes up as she accepts the Visibility Award in Nashville

By Dailymail.com Reporter
    Published: 07:43, 6 March 2016 | Updated: 09:00, 6 March 2016

Kesha accepted the Human Rights Campaign Nashville Visibility Award on Saturday.

The 29-year-old was honored at the annual equality dinner for her efforts to better the lives of the LGBT community.
    The singer, who choked up during her acceptance speech, said: 'As many of you know, I am going through some personal things that have been really intense and hard lately and I just want to say thank you for the support I received,' according to the Associated Press.
    Scroll down for video

+5

Kesha accepted the Human Rights Campaign Nashville Visibility Award on Saturday.

The singer, who was raised in Nashville, Tennessee, lost her court battle last month after a New York judge ruled that she could not be released from her contract with Sony Music.
    The court case comes after Kesha filed an suit in October 2014 against producer Dr. Luke, who she alleges had 'physically, mentally and sexually abused her' since she started working him at 18.

The Tik Tok artist, who accepted the award from fellow singer, Stephen Wrabel, continued: 'My message today is don't be afraid to speak up against any injustice you experience.'Adding: 'Don't let people scare or shame you into changing the things about you that make you unique.

+5

The 29-year-old was honored at the annual equality dinner for her efforts to better the lives of the LGBT community; she accepted the award from singer Stephen Wrabel

Kesha looked lovely in a printed multi-coloured dress*, which complimented her bold blonde, teal and blue hued tresses.
    * I have to disagree the dress is hideous.

The songwriter, who smiled as she received the honor, also said: 'We can't be afraid to fight for our dignity. These are our basic human rights.'
    Blake Brockway, the co-chair of the dinner, previously said: 'Kesha has unapologetically used her influence and international platform to bring attention to the challenges faced by the LGBT community,' reports AP.

+5

The Tik Tok artist, who accepted the award from fellow singer, Stephen Wrabel, said: 'My message today is don't be afraid to speak up against any injustice you experience'

+5

Honored: The singer, who choked up during her acceptance speech, said: 'As many of you know, I am going through some personal things that have been really intense and hard lately'

Last week, the pop star shared a selfie after the Oscar Awards, where Lady Gaga performed 'Til It Happens To You.'
    Kesha captioned the close up shot: 'Thank you @LadyGaga and @VP for bringing attention to sexual assault at the oscars.'
    Adding: 'It hit very close to my hear for obvious reasons. #ItsOnUs.'

+5

'Thank you': Last week, the pop star shared a selfie after the Oscar Awards, where Lady Gaga performed 'Til It Happens To You

She looks pretty in her selfie.
    holly likes this.

Kelly Clarkson Says She Was Blackmailed Into Working With Dr. Luke

March 7, 2016 / Posted by: Allison

Last month, a judge shot down Kesha’s preliminary injunction request to record music outside of her contract with alleged not-great dude Dr. Luke. After the judge denied Kesha’s request, several famous people came to her defense by tweeting their support. Kelly Clarkson was one of them, and she didn’t really say much at the time. Kelly retweeted the band Best Coast (who called the situation “bullshit“) and added: “Trying 2 not say anything since I can’t say anything nice about a person…so this is me not talking about Dr. Luke.

Kelly clearly said fuck it to the whole “If you can’t say anything nice” thing, because she spilled some feelings about Dr. Luke during a recent interview with Australia’sKyle and Jackie O radio show (via UsWeekly). Kelly worked with Dr. Luke during the production of Breakaway back in 2004 and she didn’t have a whole lot of nice things to say about the experience. Thanks to Kesha, we already know what can allegedly happen when you work with Dr. Luke. And while Kelly’s experience wasn’t nearly as horrible, she does want you to know that it wasn’t pleasant.

Kelly, who was 22 years old the first time they worked together, started out by saying that she doesn’t consider Dr. Luke to be a “good person” and that they clashed while working together. Kelly says that he’s “kind of difficult to work with, kind of demeaning“, and that it’s “kind of unfortunate.” Dr. Luke? Demeaning? Hmmm…where have I heard that before? If you still weren’t convinced that Kelly Clarkson was done with nice, she proceeded to call him a liar and a chronic asshole.

“I’ve run into a couple of really bad situations, musically. It’s really hard for me because he’ll just lie to people, and it makes the artist look bad. Unfortunately when you have that poor of character, like so many artists don’t like you and don’t like working with you, you know, that’s not normal. I get along with everybody I work with.”

Kelly then dropped a bomb bigger than From Justin to Kelly by saying she was forced to work with Dr. Luke a second time because her label “blackmailed” her into it. Kelly claims that they threatened that they wouldn’t release her fourth album, All I Ever Wanted, in 2009 unless she agreed to work with him on the single “My Life Would Suck Without You.” Kelly ended up agreeing because she didn’t want her album gathering dust on a shelf. She describes it as a “really hard time” and that she just tried to make the best of it.

As for why she didn’t publicly yell FREE KESHA like Demi Lovato or Adele, Kelly hasn’t seen the receipts and therefore won’t comment on the specifics of the situation. All she can do is slap at Dr. Luke for being a breathing fart.

“[Dr. Luke and I have] clashed, but I can’t really say anything other than that. I wasn’t there. I don’t know what happened specifically in their situation. Obviously I wasn’t in the room. But I can remark on his character.”

However, Kelly did have one nice to say. Kelly called Dr. Luke a “really talented dude.” I can’t argue with that; the man is responsible for both Britney Spears’Circus” and “Till the World Ends.” You can listen to the whole interview here, which begins around the 1:15:38 mark.

Kelly Clarkson is the kind of person who is always happy. She’s like a human golden retriever. I mean, Kelly Clarkson managed to crack a smile after singing about her deadbeat daddy on American Idol. So you’d have to really be an asshole in order for Kelly to hate your ass. And by the sounds of it, Kelly really hates Dr. Luke. At least now we have a pretty good idea as to what name Kelly Clarkson angrily screams when she gets a wax.

There's a link to the audio of the interview at Dlisted.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Go on girl, go head, get down.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-c...214237350.html

Sony to Cut Ties With Dr. Luke Amid Pressure Over Kesha Lawsuit: Report
    Fortune By Tom Huddleston, Jr. 5 hours ago

UPDATE: Entertainment Weekly reports that an attorney for Lukasz Gottwald (aka Dr. Luke) has refuted The Wrap’s report that Sony is close to cutting ties with Gottwald. In a statement provided to EW, the attorney said “[Gottwald’s] representatives are in regular contact with executives at the highest levels at Sony and this has never come up.”

Amid a storm of negative publicity, it appears that Sony is ready to cut ties with Dr. Luke, the producer whom pop star Kesha had accused of sexual and emotional abuse.

According to The Wrap, which cited anonymous “knowledgeable individuals,” Sony Music Entertainment, Sony’s U.S. music arm, is planning to part ways with Dr. Luke (whose real name is Lukasz Gottwald). Gottwald’s label, Kemosabe Records, is housed within Sony Music, and had a reported $60 million deal with Sony, which wasn’t set to expire until early 2017. Sony may have to negotiate an end to the contract rather than face accusations of breaching the pact, The Wrap notes.

Fortune reached out to Gottwald’s lawyer, Christine Lepera, for comment and will update this article with any response. A Sony spokeswoman declined to comment.

Kesha sued Gottwald and Kemosabe (and, later, Sony), claiming her former producer and mentor "sexually, physically, verbally and emotionally abused" her over the course of several years. Gottwald consistently has denied all of the charges. That lawsuit is still pending, though a New York Supreme Court judge last month denied the singer’s request to leave her current contract with Kemosabe and Sony immediately. Both Sony and Gottwald’s attorney have maintained their claim that the singer is free to record and release music under her current six-album contract without being required to work directly with Gottwald, but Kesha has still pushed to have her contract nullified entirely.

While legal battle played out in the courts, a war of words played out in the press and online, with public sentiment seemingly tilted in Kesha’s favor. Musicians and other celebrities took to Twitter to publicly support Kesha and, in some cases, speak out against Gottwald. Taylor Swift pledged to donate $250,000 to help Kesha "with any of her financial needs during this trying time."

Gottwald, meanwhile, went on a tweetstorm last month, in which he complained about how the “speculation” over the case has interfered with his career and damaged his public image.

Singer Kelly Clarkson said this week that Gottwald is “not a good guy” and claimed she had been “blackmailed” into working with him in the past.

On Wednesday, Lady Gaga tweeted in response to The Wrap’s report on Sony’s plans to cut ties with Gottwald. In the post, she seemed to tell the company to “do the right thing.”

Lady Gaga
    ✔ ‎‎@ladygaga

���� Do the right thing @sony #PeopleOverProfit Sony Music to Drop Dr. Luke

2:45 PM - 9 Mar 2016
    lindsaywhit and SHELLEE like this.

If this is true & the contract is "set to expire until early 2017." then the likelihood is that they are already gearing up for the contractual negotiations (looking at fulfilment, breaches, etc) it would be easy to sideline him until it expires so they don't have to pay him off its only a few months.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

That might explain it. While he appears really awful, I'm not sure how Sony could legally cut him loose while there is a legal presumption of innocence - any legal experts willing to weigh in? (NickiDrea???)
    Last edited by lindsaywhit; March 11th, 2016 at 05:44 PM.

*polished MTV Legal cert*
    It depended if there is a clause in such as "bringing the name of Sony into disrepute" or some other social clause. However there are a number of ways to deal with this depending.on how they want to.go. do they, for example what a public separation? If so they may pay him off, they may find a contractual clause that he has broken.
    They may just require a legal separation so they could not terminate the contract but not renew it.
    The could sideline him or only provide male acts for him.to work with for the remainder of his.contract *shrug* it depends on the contact IMHO.
    sluce and lindsaywhit like this.

I know Dr. Luke was fired by Sony, but does he still get to keep his license?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information