Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Kesha denied split from Sony, abuse allegations yet to be addressed

Zayne did not break his contract. He was released because the contract was up. The remaining four have not resigned either. Simon Cowell helped negotiate the new contract for Zayne, keeping him in the Sony group.
    llamamama likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    The judge's ruling was correct, but this is losing PR battle for Dr. Luke and Sony. They should negotiate a termination fee which Kesha can pay and let her go. She's not Beyonce or Adele, she is not that valuable as a recording artist, but the longer all this negative PR for Dr. Luke goes on the more damage to his songwriting/producing services, which are valuable to Sony.
    I definitely agree with this part. It's a mystery to me why they signed her for so long. It's not like she's Prince and itching to create other music. Notwithstanding whether the rape allegations are true or not, she's looking for a pay off and an excuse not to make another 6 albums.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

From what others here, who know the industry, have said, it is not uncommon for young performers to get locked into long term contracts. It doesn't seem to be in their best interest, but I guess they have so little power when they start out so they sign. There have been lots of stories over the years of performers who make it big, but make little money due to a bad contract.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

My point was a little different because she hasn't made it big. I think Sony made a big ole mistake signing her up for so long.

LOL - I guess that's a risk they take. Kesha was huge in the states when she debuted though. They made money.
    arie_skop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    My point was a little different because she hasn't made it big. I think Sony made a big ole mistake signing her up for so long.

I don't think so. Even if she doesn't sing, she's also a writer and is due a lot in royalties for songs she wrote for other artists, but apparently this Dr. Luke screwed her out of that too.
    Last edited by greysfang; February 23rd, 2016 at 01:10 PM.
    sluce and Annika like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I don't think so. If if she doesn't sing, she's also a writer and is due a lot in royalties for songs she wrote for other artists, but apparently this Dr. Luke screwed her out of that too.
    She's written a considerable amount of songs for others too. Brittney and Miley among them.
    Annika likes this.

Well if she can't get the money in for being a writer, that makes more sense.
    Annika likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Taedium View Post
    ^^ Bullshit. Demi wants attention. She does this shit all the time.
    You are comparing apples with oranges, it makes no sense. But anyway.....

Demi Lovato: Our Focus Should Be on Abuse Victims, Not Taylor Swift

"Everyone has their own way of giving support to others , and at the end of the day, helping victims is all that matters."

Getty
    By Alyssa Bailey
    Feb 23, 2016

When Demi Lovato called out Taylor Swift on Twitter this weekend for making a $250,000 donation to Kesha but not saying anything about the case, her posts got a lot of attention—and, she says, not for the right reasons. Demi regrets the focus became about perceived Swift "shade" over supporting victims of abuse: "Everyone has their own way of giving support to others, and at the end of the day, helping victims is all that matters," she wrote on Instagram last night, regarding Swift.
    Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Her sub-tweets came from an emotional moment, she explains: "Although my heart and intentions are always in the right place, unfortunately sometimes my passion gets the best of me and causes me to say things that I probably shouldn't say. And when doing so, it takes away from the real reason I am speaking up in the first place. Our focus should be on the topic of victims of sexual and physical abuse being afraid to come forward with their stories."

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    From what others here, who know the industry, have said, it is not uncommon for young performers to get locked into long term contracts. It doesn't seem to be in their best interest, but I guess they have so little power when they start out so they sign. There have been lots of stories over the years of performers who make it big, but make little money due to a bad contract.
    I remember reading somewhere very recently about Hall & Oates and how because of a shitty deal, they've never really made any money off their songs. Whether you like them or not, they were huge in their day and have written tons of songs. "She's Gone" is one of my songs from childhood. I mean just think how many of their songs still roll around on the radio.
    sluce and lindsaywhit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I don't think so. Even if she doesn't sing, she's also a writer and is due a lot in royalties for songs she wrote for other artists, but apparently this Dr. Luke screwed her out of that too.
    Her songwriting wouldn't be part of the same deal (or shouldn't be, unless she got totally shafted when she signed). Her songwriting would be part of a publishing deal and unless it's a combined deal with Sony Publishing it shouldn't affect her record deal.

The thing with record deals is a "7 album deal" usually means 2 or 3 albums locked in and then "options" for all the rest. So once an artist releases their first few albums it's then up to the record company to decide if they want to keep releasing them each time a new album is delivered. If they don't accept delivery (ie they think the record is shit) they'll send them back to the studio (all the expenses piling up on the artist's recoupment account), or if they don't send them back to the studio they'll drop the artist and both get to walk away - the record company gets to keep the recordings for X number of years (or forever) and possibly with a debt if it's a pop artist that uses big producers, but they can make up any loss in future by exploiting the old recordings until they squeeze every drop of money out of them. The artist gets the freedom to go elsewhere and do another deal.

The decision is entirely up to the record company though, the artist has no say.
    Novice and Annika like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Apparently they signed some sort of deal where she isn't even credited for songs she writes for others and that's the point of issue with her not receiving royalties.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I wonder who managed her and told her this was a good deal?

Keshan 2005, at 18, Kesha was signed to Dr. Luke's label, Kemosabe Entertainment, and his music publishing company, Prescription Songs.[24] Kemosabe Records is owned by Sony Music Entertainment and is located in Los Angeles, California. Sony Music Entertainment partnered with Dr. Luke to create Kemosabe Records.
    then signed with David Sonenberg's management company, DAS Communications Inc., in 2006, hardly interacting with Dr. Luke after that. DAS was tasked with obtaining a major label record deal for Kesha in a year’s time in exchange for 20 percent of her music income, with her having the option of ending the relationship if they failed.[27]

But her mom has been in the (country)/ music biz for forever....
    sluce likes this.

well i think when she went to DAS she was looking to break out of her contract w/ Dr. Luke. I read somewhere Sonenberg advised her to stay away from Dr.Luke and he compared the contract to the one BSB signed with Lou Pearlman. At some point, she fired DAS and went back to Dr.Luke and then DAS sued her in return. I think that lawsuit is where the depositions where she says she's lucky to work with Dr.Luke and he never acted appropriately towards her are coming out.

he New Yorker writer John Seabrook details this early phase of Kesha and Dr. Luke’s working relationship in his new book The Song Machine: "Dr. Luke wanted Kesha Rose to come out to LA immediately … [he] persuaded the teenager to drop out of high school and move to LA, where she signed with his production company, Kasz Money." Seabrook later quotes manager David Sonenberg regarding that initial contract with Kasz Money. "Sonenberg … reportedly told her and her mother, ‘This contract is worse than the one Lou Pearlman made with the Backstreet Boys.’" Kesha ended up remaining Dr. Luke’s client, and she was Kemosabe Records’ first artist when Dr. Luke partnered with Sony for his sublabel. When it comes to Kesha’s musical career, there’s no escaping the doctor.
    Why can't Kesha just release a mixtape? | The Verge

In 2010, both were defendants in a lawsuit brought by DAS Communications, which formerly managed the pop singer. According to papers in that litigation, Dr. Luke might have discovered Kesha as a Nashville, Tenn., teenager a decade ago, but she quickly thereafter signed a rep deal with DAS' David Sonenberg, who came close to bringing Kesha to Warner Bros. Records.

As early as 2005, Kesha was speaking about how Dr. Luke had "engaged in certain unethical and unlawful actions against her and that she did not want Gottwald to be part of her career going forward," according to papers filed by DAS. That year, Kesha's attorney began examining the enforceability of her recording agreement, and Dr. Luke's attorneys were provided notice that Kesha was disavowing the deal.

Three years later, though, Kesha fired Sonenberg to return to Dr. Luke's fold, which prompted the manager to later sue over commissions. In the subsequent litigation, Kesha brought counterclaims against her old management firm. She asserted that one of the reasons she had hired DAS was to help her manage her relationship with Dr. Luke. Kesha's legal papers go on to say that she "was fortunate to have the attention and support of Dr. Luke," that her fired manager repeatedly instructed her 'not to have any contact whatsoever with Dr. Luke," and that, thanks to this advice, it "poisoned the relationship with Dr. Luke… caused Kesha to lose two invaluable years of her career in an industry where youth is of the utmost importance and denied Kesha the opportunity to work with Dr. Luke."
    Inside Kesha & Dr. Luke's Dueling Lawsuits | Billboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information