Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree250Likes

Thread: Kelly Clarkson: ‘I Wanted to Kill Myself’ When I Was Skinny

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    You're doing it though! You've lost over half what you want to lose. Maybe it's not easy - but easier than when you started?

Nice sarcasm with the 2nd paragraph. But seriously, have you had your thyroid checked? Not just your TSH, but T3 and Reverse T3. Most doctors will not check them, but that's how I was diagnosed years ago. I went 10 years feeling exhausted a lot of the time and a holistic doctor finally tested me and my T3 was low and reverse T3 to high in relationship (there's an ideal ratio). T3 is the active form that gets to the cells. It affects metabolism. It may help you along.
    The only sarcastic part was the only wimps need sleep part. I would trade my hair and living on sudafed all day long if I could be skinny. But I can't, because even back then I wasn't "skinny". Yes, I have had thyroid checked - seems to be firing as it should be.

I literally only lose weight when I DO NOT EAT. Sticking to the recommended TDEE less 500 or 1000 doesn't work for me unless I take it to an extreme. How did I lose weight? By being so stressed at work and unable to focus that I'm on adderall and it makes me forget to eat. I fucking love it. Is it healthy? Doubtful. Do I care? Not in the slightest. I would take thin over healthy any day of the week. And yes, THAT is messed up but I bet that the "I'm so concerned about obesity because of your health!" crew (not you in particular) would rather me be thin than healthy too.

I'm glad that you've found a lifestyle of moderation that works for you. That is apparently not in the cards for me because god knows I have tried. Good thing I like drugs.

noooo...no matter what Fernando Lamas said, it's NOT better to look good than to feel good.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I hear ya, and I actually do feel good now. The adderall was for a legit issue that it's helping me with big time, being able to not eat is just a nice side effect. Good for the budget too

Do they still have home ec. in schools? I remember taking it and we had a budget and we were sort of taught how to buy things to make food from scratch. It was nice because my mom could make a great Sunday pot roast dinner but we also had a lot of hamburger helper and cake mix cakes. Making Toll House cookies was about the only thing we ever made from scratch. She was a working mom and would buy the convenience stuff of the 70's. Homemade is much tastier imo.

I never had a weight problem until the internet came into my life.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Do they still have home ec. in schools? I remember taking it and we had a budget and we were sort of taught how to buy things to make food from scratch. It was nice because my mom could make a great Sunday pot roast dinner but we also had a lot of hamburger helper and cake mix cakes. Making Toll House cookies was about the only thing we ever made from scratch. She was a working mom and would buy the convenience stuff of the 70's. Homemade is much tastier imo.

Some schools do. My 12 year old nephew is currently taking a cooking course in school. He lives in a VERY upper class community where the school budget allows for such interests

He’s making wood plank salmon, roasted Brussels sprouts and quinoa this week. (health conscious curriculum thanks to affluent parents)

He sends me the menu on Monday and if the Thursday night meal appeals we have a dinner date at his house where he recreates the meal cooked in class that day. I pay and he cooks
    Mrs P, czb and Catty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Some schools do. My 12 year old nephew is currently taking a cooking course in school. He lives in a VERY upper class community where the school budget allows for such interests

He’s making wood plank salmon, roasted Brussels sprouts and quinoa this week. (health conscious curriculum thanks to affluent parents)

He sends me the menu on Monday and if the Thursday night meal appeals we have a dinner date at his house where he recreates the meal cooked in class that day. I pay and he cooks
    I had a basic school where you chose between home ec or shop class. I chose the shop class because making awesome multicolored plastic twisty keychains was better than baking a cake back then.

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. And sadly shows the huge divisions in our society. Unless he is going to a charter school for aspiring chefs or something. It's so fancy smancy.
    Mrs P and czb like this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

czb

^^^ the economic divide starts early.

my kids go to a public school, but it is HEAVILY supported by parent donations. the opportunities they provide, compared to 'regular' public schools is mind-blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    I had a basic school where you chose between home ec or shop class. I chose the shop class because making awesome multicolored plastic twisty keychains was better than baking a cake back then.
    Ha, I don't think we had a choice, back in the dark ages when I was in middle school, boys had shop and girls had home ec. 7th grade, one semester was cooking and the other was sewing. I think we learned to "cook" orange cinnamon toast or something like that. That's the only cuisine I remember. Growing up with a single working mom, I already knew how to fend for myself in the kitchen, but most of the other snowflakes didn't I guess. God forbid they burn themselves on an actual stove or cut themselves with a real knife.

And we got to sew an ugly shift dress with a zipper and everything. Then my friends and I made fun of the nerdy girls who actually wore their piece of shit dresses to school. Ours went in the trash bin. Yeah I was a mean girl back then.
    Mrs P likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

In regards to public schools, when I was younger a richer area basically did a school district version of gerrymandering so that the local Native American reservation students that didn't pay property tax, which goes to the schools, came to our highschool. I didn't care and I find it funny that a lot of my friends that attended the "privaledged" schools ended up junkies. I on the other hand got to meet some great genuine friends and make some kick ass Native American fry bread.

We had shop and home ec, but if you took band, orchestra, or chorus, you didn't have that option. So of course, our opinion as super mature 12 year olds was that shop and home ec was for loser dorks. I can sew a button and call a guy for help with the HVAC, but I could probably have used those skills much better than learning to play the bassoon that's been taking up space in my closet for 20 yearss.
    Trixie and Mrs P like this.

I'm 35 and can't sew. I'll confess.
    burnt_toast likes this.

We made crepes in home ec and they sucked. Sewed a dog pillow came out ok.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I have very basic sewing skills, I've hemmed pants in my lifetime, some little curtains once and replacement cushions for some outdoor furniture. I have my mom's old Singer sewing machine and I still remember how to thread it but the bobbin can be problematic. My grandmother was a great seamstress, she used to make us Barbie clothes and the detail was crazy good. She made me a beautiful quilt when I got married. I only wish I cared about learning such things back then. Like I wish I would have learned to bake from my other grandmother.
    Mrs P likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Ha, I don't think we had a choice, back in the dark ages when I was in middle school, boys had shop and girls had home ec. 7th grade, one semester was cooking and the other was sewing. I think we learned to "cook" orange cinnamon toast or something like that. That's the only cuisine I remember. Growing up with a single working mom, I already knew how to fend for myself in the kitchen, but most of the other snowflakes didn't I guess. God forbid they burn themselves on an actual stove or cut themselves with a real knife.

And we got to sew an ugly shift dress with a zipper and everything. Then my friends and I made fun of the nerdy girls who actually wore their piece of shit dresses to school. Ours went in the trash bin. Yeah I was a mean girl back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    We had shop and home ec, but if you took band, orchestra, or chorus, you didn't have that option. So of course, our opinion as super mature 12 year olds was that shop and home ec was for loser dorks. I can sew a button and call a guy for help with the HVAC, but I could probably have used those skills much better than learning to play the bassoon that's been taking up space in my closet for 20 yearss.
    My son plays bassoon! The school loaned it to him, though. He's been playing it since 6th grade, I think and instantly gets invited into the higher-performing bands because he's the almost the only one who plays the instrument.

Out here, home ec class is called "FACS", which, I think, stands for Family and Consumer Science. They do cook stuff in addition to learning about checking accounts and evaluating products and stuff like that. I didn't have the heart to tell my son that they had temporarily closed the FACS room right before the school year started because of an insect infestation.

Both kids also had a shop class. The irony of it was that our daughter had actually made her own pinewood derby car from scratch (a plain block of wood) while our son had never really done that - just ground down pre-made blocks and then painted them. That meant that she had used a band saw, in addition to a bunch of other power tools. I was so freaking proud of her. I still have the picture around somewhere of her holding up her car.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I think you said before that your daughter has a similar physique to Ariel Winter? Nothing wrong with that of course, but probably tough for her if she wants to be super skinny. We all have different body shapes/types and have to work within what we were born with. And curvy is in now, so that's good. But the teen years are the worst.

The women in my family are all apples...when I was younger I was pretty thin and well proportioned. Now if I gain weight, it's all tits and belly, but I don't gain it in my legs. I have a few friends who are pears, small boobs and all hips and thighs. I remember when one of them was getting married, she starved herself and yeah she lost some but she also lost her boobs and looked too thin in the face. So yeah, bottom line, you can try to control things but you can't change your basic shape.

So yeah I think it's great to be as healthy as possible but another thing is, unless you're naturally thin, the older you get the harder it is to keep it off. And who wants to spend their golden years starving themselves?
    Yes, our daughter is more of an Ariel Winter type - just wouldn't be caught dead in Ariel Winter clothes. She is built more like Mrs. Mo's sister than Mrs. Mo. She is even our SIL's height (about 5'3"/5'4", and fully grown) while Mrs. Mo is almost 5'7". Kind of strange. She is strong and coordinated and did not have trouble keeping up when we ran and lifted weights. She had a pretty bad case of undiagnosed anemia last year.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information