Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Kathy Griffin: Jon Hamm was a mean drunk, Woody Allen was creepy

I like Kathy too. I am hoping the alcohol is what causes Jon Hamm to be a dick. Doubtful though.
    gas_chick and Karma like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    ^I can sort of see that, but I also think Hollywood really is dominated by a mean-girl mentality, where if you're not "hot enough" or A-list enough, people really do think you're beneath them and not worth talking to. Especially if you're a woman. I mean, I can't say for certain but I doubt she's ever talked shit about John Hamm...has she? I've been to a couple of her stand up shows and used to watch her Bravo show back in the day, and I don't remember anything. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    I've been treated like this and I *don't* live in Hollywood. If you're a chick and you're not thin/hot, you don't exist.

Kathy Griffin: Jon Hamm was a mean drunk, Woody Allen was creepy
    In other news: Water is Wet.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I like Kathy and love to hear her stories.
    I used to enjoy her comedy and her story-telling of celebrity encounters because it was sort of "insider" information with a sarcastic touch but, in the recent years it seems she's grasping for material because celebrities/people don't want to interact with her - for this^ exact reason (exploiting the heck out of the interaction).

Now, it seems like she's kind of forcing these encounters to make something (anything) interesting happen.

Heck, ask anyone in/around the entertainment industry if they've had or seen weird experiences with "known" people. Everyone around here has a least a couple of stories. Nothing to write home (or an entire book) about... literally.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGirlie View Post
    I never liked her. But after I watched her show on Youtube (I never saw it on Bravo), I saw her differently. She was funny, earnest, honestly broken at times. It was so sad when she talked about her ex-husband and her dad dying. I'm still conflicted with her. She does come off as an asshole when you watch or read about her from afar, but she seems like a good person and, at the end of the day, she is a comedian. I'd take her over Chelsea Handler or Amy whats-her-last-name anyday.

We've seen a few of her stand-ups and she tells a good story. And sorta mimics the way you sit around with your friends and share funny stories together.

It's actually a smart niche she's carved for herself... behind the curtain celeb stuff. But I agree, about her over Chelsea and Amy. Those two irk me a lot more than Kathy ever has.

Anyway, to the larger point of jerk stars being irritated by her.

Kathy loves it when celebs play and banter with her. She'll share those stories with affection that they get it and don't take themselves so seriously. So it would be easy to escape being made the butt of a joke. If those jerk celebs were smarter they would figure that out. Someone like Kutcher who did Punk'd and plays off putting celebs in uncomfortable moments. Knows full well what he was doing. So, I have no sympathy that his nice-guy covers are pulled.

she doesn't bother me but if you throw shit, you should expect shit thrown back at you. not everyone's a good sport and some take themselves too seriously to laugh at themselves. but when they dis her, they're just giving her more material to make fun of them.

i don't know if she can take it as good as she dishes it though. didn't she get offended when jay leno said she was ugly? or did that not happen?

she is annoying sometimes but i think that's the point, like her episode on seinfeld. i thought it was funny.

in any case, when she's a guest on kimmel, i know it won't be boring.
    Karma likes this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

I just can't believe the gall of a female comedian thinking that she has the right to be half as abrasive and annoying as male comedians. Get back in your comedy kitchen, Griffin!!!

Elite Member

I never liked Kathy until I saw her Bravo show. Then, I loved her. Awhile ago I went back to not liking her as much. I saw her promoting this book and she was "Bravo" Kathy again. I like that Kathy.
    Karma likes this.

I liked her early on; then as her comedy routines and shows on which she appeared developed, less so. But I've downloaded the book and am enjoying it. She writes just as caustically about herself as the stories she shares about the celebrities she has found unpleasant.

ETA: this post about her book reminds me of Anne Helen Peterson's "Scandals of Classic Hollywood," a compilation of her blog posts from The Hairpin and who is now writing for Buzzfeed.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/scan...eId=PLGoP67945
    Karma likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information