Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Katherine Heigl Poofs It Up in London

"Pouffe" is another word for hassock or ottoman. Basically a big, legless cushion you sit on. I guess a beanbag chair is indeed a type of pouffe.

Also Snooki's hairdo is called a "pouf" in the US. Vidal Sassoon sells Pouf combs to attain the look.

There's poufiness everyone once you start to look around. It's magical.

I think they're all pronounced the same in the US, though--poof, pouf, pouffe.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Over here on the other side poofy is used the same way. I've also heard it to describe furniture. I think there are poof chairs, like a huge bean bag chair. And it also means to disappear. Like poof, I'm gone.
    I'd forgotten about it being used for something disappearing. That is used here too. This link gives two definitions of Poof, the offensive term and the disappearing one. poof - definition of poof by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    I think Sandra Bullock would have been perfect for Stephanie Plum. Heigl will suck!!

Way too old. Way.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Syd

I hate to admit it, but I like it.

The fact that I was raised Southern Baptist surely factors in here.

So embarrassed.

Do ya'll remember the part in Steel Magnolias when Daryl Hannah was fixin' Sally Field's hair? She said "Oh gosh it's [ Sally's hair] too poofy. My work's always too poofy when I'm nervous."
    Poofy is definitely used mostly to describe hair or dresses, not gay folks, in the South.
    Last edited by Fran; June 10th, 2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Had to remove an errant smiley.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I agree but I think she might be a touch too old. Not that she looks it.

This page is awesome:
    Cast the Stephanie Plum movie. -- A Grupthink Topic

I love it. Lara Flynn Boyle as Joyce, The Rock as Ranger, Queen Latifa as Lula, Jeffery Dead Morgan as Morielli, Estelle Getty (RIP) as Grandma Mazur. Or Betty White even. Fran Drescher should be Connie.

Oh- here's another good one: Lauren Graham as Stephanie Plum. I like that idea a lot.
    I think Steve Buscemi should play Vinnie the Bondsman Duckfucker

I really don't see the big deal here. We can't be expected to know the derogatory slang of every country. Here in the US, not many people know the gay slang for it. Here it means big or puffy.

I wonder how it came to mean "gay" in the UK? Most derogatory terms for gay men reference a sexual act, but I can't imagine what "poof" would mean, sex-wise. Maybe it originally just meant someone who spent a lot of time on his hair, so people assumed he was gay? Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I think Steve Buscemi should play Vinnie the Bondsman Duckfucker
    Ooh good call! He so fits the part!

Elite Member

I learned two things from this thread

1. Poofy is a bad word.. who knew .

2. I am royally ticked she is playing Stephanie Plum. I didn't even know the movies were coming out and now I have to watch her in this series. GAG. She is horrible. I love the series and now she is gonna ruin my visions of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by FashionVictim View Post
    I really don't see the big deal here. We can't be expected to know the derogatory slang of every country. Here in the US, not many people know the gay slang for it. Here it means big or puffy.
    I agree, I don't think everyone should be expected to know every offensive word from other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    Ooh good call! He so fits the part!
    Thank you, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by happy8 View Post
    I learned two things from this thread

1. Poofy is a bad word.. who knew .

2. I am royally ticked she is playing Stephanie Plum. I didn't even know the movies were coming out and now I have to watch her in this series. GAG. She is horrible. I love the series and now she is gonna ruin my visions of the characters.

Same here (on both points). I keep hoping that something will happen that will delay production and the movie just won't get made. It's happened before, from what I've read - an actress has signed on for the role, there were tons of delays, then the actress dropped out and the cycle started all over again. I'm so hoping that happens here. There's just nothing about this creature that is anything at all like Stephanie Plum.

On a side note, has there been any news about any of the other roles? Is it too much to hope that actors refuse to sign on for the other roles because they want to avoid working with this person who is a void in which things like talent and a pleasant personality have gone to die?

I checked the imdb page and there is nothing about the co-stars although I read that filming is slated to start in a week or so hence why she dyed her hair brunette. I feel the same way although the previous casting choices was JLo and Reece Witherspoon and Hollywood wonders why they can never adapt successfully most books into movies

Poofy is a common word here too (SoCal). I've used it to describe hair and those parachute pants from the 80s and even furniture. Who knew it was a derogatory word in the UK? I learn something new everyday on this board. I had to google chav when I first saw that here too.

Interesting what urbandictionary has.

1. poofy 37 up, 7 down
    buy poofy mugs, tshirts and magnets
    Fluffy with fur, hair, shrubbery, etc.

2. poofy 28 up, 8 down
    buy poofy mugs, tshirts and magnets
    1 with homosexual tendencies widely used in central scotland

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information