Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Katherine Heigl exasperated by movie body trends

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry gashes View Post
    I'm so sick of everyone saying this. It's the industry you chose to be in; if you cant take it, no one is stopping you from leaving and living an ordinary life.
    I don't agree.

The industry became this "scary skinny" obsessed in the 1990's thanks to Calvin Klein and junkie Kate Moss.

Before that, Hollywood actresses and Supermodels certainly were thinner than normal people, but certainly not to the extremes they are now.

And as much as I bitterly hate Heigl -- she's right.

And no, I don't think that the actors should conform to an unhealthy existance or leave. I am currently a size 6-8 and I am an actor as well. Should I quit now because I am not a size 2? Should I not choose to pursue a career in what I love because I don't agree with this "skinny" trend? No, Hollywood needs actors of all sizes...leading roles, however, currently have other requirements. Whatever.

What's worse, one of my friends has a sister that is 11 and already thin. She also wants to be an actress. She is OBSESSED with being skinny.

She's a kid, this isn't what she should worry about, but of course she loooves Nicole, Paris and Mischa and Rachel.

And on top of all everything else, as much as we try to deny it, celebrity behavior influences the young.

If Heigl can inspire other actresses to refuse to conform as well, all by opening her mouth and bitching. So be it.

So for once....Kudos Heigl.

IF WOMEN DIDN'T MAKE IT SUCH AN ISSUE, IT WOULDN'T BE ONE.

No one should have to defend their decision to look any way they want to. No one is saying 'YOU HAVE TO LOOK LIKE THIS'. Its something that has to exist in the mind of the individual. So if Katherine wants to be 'curvy'; she should be it, and not come out and say 'But I am supposed to be skinnier. Says who? And who cares who those people are. Women create their own problems.

Unfortunately, it keeps changing - it went from uber-thin and then that was wrong, then it went to curvy, and then that was wrong.
    Who says it's wrong? This is what shits me; how weak do people want to be.

Chasing Demri around our house in her walker!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I think she needs to ditch the ciggies though. Clearly they are diet aid #1 for her.
    ^^Agreed. With all the cigarettes she smokes, she should be a size triple-0. She smokes so much, i don't know how she manages to find any time to eat. (She's almost always puffing away in any picture i see of her, and interviewers always mention what an extremely heavy smoker she is; one even said she "takes chain-smoking to a whole new unheard-of level". Yikes!

In any event, i can't STAND this chick. I wish she would SHUT THE FUCK UP and GO THE FUCK AWAY. Annoying as hell. And i don't find her beautiful; i find her bland. I like chicks with an "edge" to them. She's a stereotypical big-boobed, big-(fake)blonde-haired, big smile with perfect big white chicklet teeth, BORING Hollywood "Beauty". Nothing remotely interesting about her look, or her in general, IMO.
    My precious baby girl:
    ~ Demri Elizabeth-June ~
    Arrived July 19th. 6 lbs.,5 oz.; 19.5". BEAUTIFUL !

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDust77 View Post
    ^^Agreed. With all the cigarettes she smokes, she should be a size triple-0. She smokes so much, i don't know how she manages to find any time to eat. (She's almost always puffing away in any picture i see of her, and interviewers always mention what an extremely heavy smoker she is; one even said she "takes chain-smoking to a whole new unheard-of level". Yikes!

In any event, i can't STAND this chick. I wish she would SHUT THE FUCK UP and GO THE FUCK AWAY. Annoying as hell. And i don't find her beautiful; i find her bland. I like chicks with an "edge" to them. She's a stereotypical big-boobed, big-(fake)blonde-haired, big smile with perfect big white chicklet teeth, BORING Hollywood "Beauty". Nothing remotely interesting about her look, or her in general, IMO.
    Completely disagree. First of all, she is a natural blonde (My Father, The Hero). While she does look plain with blonde hair, but have you seen Wish Upon A Star (with Danielle Harris) where she had short dark brown hair? She looked sexy/pretty as hell, and with a great figure to boot.

Last edited by bychance; April 6th, 2008 at 12:52 AM.

Celeb #40 in the last week to bitch and moan about 'hollywood weight standards.'

Get a real job like the rest of us average joes and janes.

Cry me a nile.

Aww, I don't dislike her. She's not just a pretty face, she's actually pretty talented. (Anyone see the Denny plotline in Gray's Anatomy?) I just think it's a shame that she comes across in interviews as rather smug and self-satisfied, instead of the everyman 'we-all-have-the-same-issues' angle she's probably going for. Humour always goes down well. Come on Katherine, tell us a joke. (And don't say "Heather Mills"!)
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

Man she looks like jessica simpson (pre-surgery) and mandi moore up there. She looks a lot better as a blonde.

She had to LOSE weight for knocked up??

Her bod is perfect.
    Last edited by olivia720; April 7th, 2008 at 04:01 AM.

Ewwww shes WAY prettier than Jessica Simpson. I see the Mandy Moore resemblance, but its really just that film I think. Especially because she was tall, slim and 14 at the time...which is what Mandy looks like, to this day, lol.

I can't stand her either, and I don't even know why, but she's right. It's not even just Hollywood but the public too e.g. calling stars who want to be curvy fat e.g.Hewitt, Beyonce, Leona Lewis (people saying she has fat legs), etc.
    Last edited by Heavenseventeen; April 8th, 2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Now Bring Me That Horizon...
    I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and sky...

Hit By Ban Bus!

Heigl is always exasperated about something, but in this instance she's right. And actually, I love her outspoken bitchiness and wish women would stop ragging on her for it. Bitches get shit done!

Here's the deal: If all the actresses in Hollywood would stop being such doormats for the powers that be and STAND UP and refuse to become human stick figures, then the PTB would be forced to accept it. SOLIDARITY BABY!

Eli

I like that Katherine has a big o in the middle of her stomach. It's NORMAL.

I don't like her, but I agree. If she loves acting, why should she give it up? I heard she used to be a plus size model. That blew my mind. All the sudden I felt really fat. She's cute but plain. I too like edgy, even sometimes unnatractive (to mainstream) as opposed to typical cute.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by ByRDi View Post
    I too like edgy, even sometimes unnatractive (to mainstream) as opposed to typical cute.
    So ironic considering your incredibly cute avi.

I don't like her, but I agree. If she loves acting, why should she give it up? I heard she used to be a plus size model. That blew my mind. All the sudden I felt really fat. She's cute but plain. I too like edgy, even sometimes unnatractive (to mainstream) as opposed to typical cute.
    What? Katharine Heigl was a plus size model?!? Are you sure? Jeez, not much hope for the rest of us then, is there? *goes off to fetch razor blade*
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

I heard she used to be a plus size model.
    I doubt that. Besides, Hollywood's standards of thinness have definitely changed in the past 15 years. I remember when I came across Buffy The Vampire Slayer, the movie from '92, and Kristy Swanson looks huge compared to what's allowed today. Back then she was just normal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information