Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Kaley Cuoco Weds Karl Cook

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i felt that way until i met my husband. not saying it's always easy or always agree, but it's nice to come home to someone who gets me. and has my back.
    I think that is the one thing that my “smug married” friends don’t realise. If you are single, you come home to a empty (of humans) house, there is no-one to bounce ideas off, to make you a cup of tea & give you a hug when you’ve had a bad day, to celebrate with when some thing has gone well.... they just say “oh I wouldn’t date again” I wonder how many of them would survive being single, having a single wage, living a single life.....

czb

there are good things about being single ... not answering to anyone, having quiet time, being able to come and go without talking with your partner. no life is perfect.
    fgg, Novice and crayzeehappee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I think that is the one thing that my “smug married” friends don’t realise. If you are single, you come home to a empty (of humans) house, there is no-one to bounce ideas off, to make you a cup of tea & give you a hug when you’ve had a bad day, to celebrate with when some thing has gone well.... they just say “oh I wouldn’t date again” I wonder how many of them would survive being single, having a single wage, living a single life.....
    👏👍

And for the smug married people, they wouldn’t survive being single. They never learned nor do many of them even have a healthy sense of identity.
    OrangeSlice and Novice like this.

I wish I could like this 1000 times. As the only single in a largish family, no one else gets this. Every single sibling, in-law, parent, and parent-in-law was married by 21 at the latest. No one in the entire family has ever been a single adult. They just do not get it and it sucks to be the odd one out. Yes, I get to do whatever I want for the most part and have plenty of "me" time. But also, who's in charge of taking the trash out every single time? Me. Who kills all of the spiders and does all of the laundry? Me. Who does all of the dishes and cooking? Me. Who does all of the vacuuming and paying the bills? Me. Who changes the air filters and smoke detectors and lightbulbs? Me. Who makes sure the lawn is mowed and the taxes are done and the ceiling in the hallway gets repaired? Me. Who leaves the light on for me when I work late? Me. When I'm sick and projectile vomit across the bathroom, who cleans it up and helps me back to bed and brings me crackers? Me just after I've finished projectile vomiting and feel like death. And that part sucks.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I wish I could like this 1000 times. As the only single in a largish family, no one else gets this. Every single sibling, in-law, parent, and parent-in-law was married by 21 at the latest. No one in the entire family has ever been a single adult. They just do not get it and it sucks to be the odd one out. Yes, I get to do whatever I want for the most part and have plenty of "me" time. But also, who's in charge of taking the trash out every single time? Me. Who kills all of the spiders and does all of the laundry? Me. Who does all of the dishes and cooking? Me. Who does all of the vacuuming and paying the bills? Me. Who changes the air filters and smoke detectors and lightbulbs? Me. Who makes sure the lawn is mowed and the taxes are done and the ceiling in the hallway gets repaired? Me. Who leaves the light on for me when I work late? Me. When I'm sick and projectile vomit across the bathroom, who cleans it up and helps me back to bed and brings me crackers? Me just after I've finished projectile vomiting and feel like death. And that part sucks.
    LIKE x 100000000000000000000

Exactly!

Also, who looks after the parents? That’ll be me then...
    I’ve had an ear infection since May (hadn’t realised it was still hanging around til my ear popped this week), I coughed up something disgusting (with soil) on Tuesday, I’ve had an abscess and am under going treatment & who drives me home after he’s pumped my face full of anisthetic so I can’t feel half of it except for the nerve he’s trying to drill & have the shakes from it? Yeah, me.....

To be fair I never had the issues that CZB listed (alone time, going places, etc) with my ex but he accepted my independent side and knew early on that if he tried to stifle that I’d be gone
    OrangeSlice and Waterslide like this.

There are lots of folks who don't get married until later in life. I got married just before my 49th birthday. I am extremely reclusive and don't really like people all that much, so I was very good at being single. Marriage can be difficult some days but it has its perks too. Both singledom and marriage have their benefits and one isn't necessarily better than the other. It depends on the person, their personality, and how they choose to live their life. Ultimately, you should do what's best for you and not what other people think is best for you but it doesn't always work out that way. That's where some of the good lessons are, I think.
    czb, fgg, Kittylady and 6 others like this.

My brother was still unmarried at 40. I was wondering if he was actually suited to a long-term relationship. 10 years later, though, he is ecstatically happily married with four little kids.

One of the happiest, and most well adjusted people I ever met was this beautiful 75-year-old woman who was a long-term college friend of my parents. Never married and never had kids.

I have definitely given up on assuming what is right for any particular person.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    Hm. I think I'm single by that definition. Except I insist on not taking the trash out, just because goddammit let there be one single household thing he's responsible for.
    Waterslide likes this.

Damn B! I thought that cookoo had got divorced then!!!
    sprynkles and Beeyotch like this.

Give it time...
    Novice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Hm. I think I'm single by that definition. Except I insist on not taking the trash out, just because goddammit let there be one single household thing he's responsible for.

"Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    there are good things about being single ... not answering to anyone, having quiet time, being able to come and go without talking with your partner. no life is perfect.
    Not having to sarcastically ask if someone has installed an open sewer under the couch.*

*Someone was drinking Guinness earlier and single life is looking very appealing right now.
    sprynkles, crayzeehappee and czb like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Not having to sarcastically ask if someone has installed an open sewer under the couch.*

*Someone was drinking Guinness earlier and single life is looking very appealing right now.
    I think the main thing I miss is the moral support. I’m having issue with some evil neighbours (they have threatened & now hurt my dog) and being alone in my house I don’t feel safe, it would be different if someone was here with me.
    Having said that I’m not prepared to compromise on what I want & need in a partner.

(they have threatened & now hurt my dog)
    Novice, wth?! Is she ok?
    Novice likes this.

^Omg. I hope the cops are able to do something about what happened to your dog. That's horrific, and I'm so sorry you have to deal with that.
    Novice likes this.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information