Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting: I Don't Consider Myself a Feminist

Elite Member

I don't find what she said offensive, just wrong-headed. I don't give a flying fuck whether or not she cooks for her husband. Hopefully she has the sense to be grateful that she is able to do it because she wants to, not because it's expected of her or is one of the primary ways her worth as a person is measured.
    stef likes this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Cuoco-Sweeting, 29, who married husband Ryan Sweeting, 27, on New Year's Eve last year, said that she cooks for him "five nights a week: It makes me feel like a housewife; I love that. I know it sounds old-fashioned, but I like the idea of women taking care of their men. I'm so in control of my work that I like coming home and serving him," she told the magazine.
    Fuck off.

It's cute that she likes to come home from her million dollar a week job and play house for her man, but the quaint "old-fashioned" fantasy housewife is not the reality for millions of women who have no equality and serve their husbands as drudges.
    Kittylady and Sunrider like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

If she's cooking for him five times a week, does that mean he gave up on his mediocre tennis career?

Elite Member

So, now that she cooks for her man, and takes care of him, and serves him, how will she explain the inevitable divorce? If all the reports of their constant fighting are to be believed, I keep expecting her to appear on an episode of Who The #!&$ Did I Marry.
    firebrat1229 and Kittylady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ the roles may dry up because she's minimally talented, not because she might become fat.
    True. In her case. But even talented actresses have trouble getting work once they're 40 and it doesn't change the fact that women and men are far from being equal.
    Kittylady and Sunrider like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think another way to spell out how out of it Cuoco is is what came out during the Sony email leaks concerning American Hustle:

Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, and Jeremy Renner all got 9% of the profits of the movie.

Amy Adams, and Jennifer Lawrence (who Forbes just announced as the most bankable star of the year - male or female), got only 7% of the profits on the movie. Doing the math, they got - you guessed it - a little over 70% of what a man got and are facing the same wage discrimination as women in other industries.
    sputnik, Sunrider and Lalasnake like this.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    True. In her case. But even talented actresses have trouble getting work once they're 40 and it doesn't change the fact that women and men are far from being equal.
    actresses like meryl, helen mirren, and julianne moore consistently work but they are the exception.

what i meant above was that i'm not offended by kaley's comments about feminists, although i don't necessarly agree with it. she makes a buttload, so isn't affected by the lack of financial equality between men and women. the thing that annoyed me was the making dinner comment. i wish i could find the yalow interview i mentioned above. ...

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    actresses like meryl, helen mirren, and julianne moore consistently work but they are the exception.
    Even they have faced 'dead' periods in their careers when they didn't fit into either end of the acceptable age spectrum for actresses.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

^^^
    and like czb said, they're the exception. It's the same older actresses that get the roles whereas men don't face that kind of career death as they get older, they just keep getting cast in roles whereas their love interests stay the same age.
    Kittylady, Sunrider and Lalasnake like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

^^^ i dunno, there are some guys you never see anymore - val kilmer, kurt russell, etc. but i don't think that acting is necessarily typical of other industries.

kaley is living in a bubble.

Kaley Cuoco Says Her 'Redbook' Feminism Quotes Were Taken Out of Context

Kaley Cuoco is now clarifying the comments from her Redbook magazine interview that sparked quite a bit of controversy earlier this week.
    In the interview, the 29-year-old Big Bang Theory actress said that she wasn’t a feminist and loved feeling like a housewife.
    PHOTOS: Check out the latest pics ofKaley Cuoco
    “In my Redbook article ,some people have taken offense to my comments regarding feminism- if any of you are In the “biz” you are well aware of how words can be taken out of context. I’m completely blessed and grateful that strong women have paved the way for my success along with many others. I apologize if anyone was offended. Anyone that truly knows me, knows my heart and knows what I meant. ❤️,” Kaley posted to Instagram.
    Celebrity Gossip and Entertainment News | Just Jared

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Lisa Kudrow said something interesting recently. And it was also in reference to the Amy Adams/Jennifer Lawrence story. Basically, she said that the difference she sees is that there are a lot of roles for women, including older women, on TV. But not in the movies. I do see that. Movies these days are a huge crapshoot, with tens to hundreds of millions being spent on a possible stinker of a movie. You have people running scared, trying to make safe bets - it seems like half the successful movies out there now are based on freaking Marvel comic books. On TV, and especially cable series, you have a chance to build an audience for a quality program.
    dowcat and Sunrider like this.

If she doesn't realize that getting the boob job is rooted in sexism, I feel sorry for her.
    Brah, sputnik, Sunrider and 1 others like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

We all like to think we're so special. But in the end, we all do the same stupid shit. - Dennis Miller

This!! I always liked her but she is definitely living in her own little privileged bubble if she thinks the way has been paved. It hasn't been when there are so many women out there living or working in situations where they either have no rights or they earn less then their male counterparts for doing the same job.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think another way to spell out how out of it Cuoco is is what came out during the Sony email leaks concerning American Hustle:

Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, and Jeremy Renner all got 9% of the profits of the movie.

Amy Adams, and Jennifer Lawrence (who Forbes just announced as the most bankable star of the year - male or female), got only 7% of the profits on the movie. Doing the math, they got - you guessed it - a little over 70% of what a man got and are facing the same wage discrimination as women in other industries.
    Lalasnake likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information